Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was time to start our own thread for those of us outside of free America. As most of you know by now, the SlingShot is not approved for sale in Maryland (also known as Marylandastan). I am not sure what the official reason is, I assume it is over stupid wording relating to the seating or steering or something. We had a huge turn over in the recent elections, so sanity may still prevail. Post if you know anything about our situation in Maryland.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Situation is it SUCKS. That is the only thing I know and I am not even from MD.

Reactions: Tom Barber

·
Registered
532 Posts
It's totally unacceptable. There are to many States at this point not allowing the sale of the Polaris SlingShot.
Forum members have been helping
out with letters / emails.
We in our own way can show these
States there error in erroneous thinking. How there infringing on there constitutes Freedom.
So everyone please continue helping out our extended family.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
What really irritates me is that since the Slingshot meets the Federal definition of a motorcycle/trike, how can a State law trump Federal?
I believe California's emission regs fall under a special loophole, but don't see how silly definitions about conventional handlebars vs round handlebars (aka steering wheel) or saddle vs seat can cause all of this chaos. Businesses like Federal law since that gives them a single, nationwide rule to follow, or at least it used to.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What really irritates me is that since the Slingshot meets the Federal definition of a motorcycle/trike, how can a State law trump Federal?
I believe California's emission regs fall under a special loophole, but don't see how silly definitions about conventional handlebars vs round handlebars (aka steering wheel) or saddle vs seat can cause all of this chaos. Businesses like Federal law since that gives them a single, nationwide rule to follow, or at least it used to.
That would be nice in this particular case, but the US is setup where the states are supposed to have power over the fed not the other way around. The fed is only supposed to do what it is limited to by the Constitution. Stuff like defense, war, printing money, roads. I suspect if it were up to the recent feds we would all be driving some Chinese built electric Smart car equivalent. Of course stupidity and greed have greatly expanded what the Fed actually does but that is a different forum.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Bigfoot21075, While Constitution is meant to spell-out the powers-of the Federal government, Federal Law does dominate over State Laws, especially in cases of commerce, where this case certainly seems to fall.
You have a good comment about foreign cars being forced upon us. Take a look at the proposed TransPacific Partnership. Its basically NAFTA on steroids and will give businesses the right to sue foreign governments for any actions the business might deem as harmful to that business' bottom line. The Senate kept it from having fast-track thru the political process last year, but doesn't look like it will stop it next year. It's been negotiated in secret and few people, even in Congress, seem to know what it contains. Only parts of it have been leaked. Who knows, it might turn out to be a good agreement, but I worry based on what little I've heard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maryland-commie-stan, is the biggest loser state in the United States. That's why there are more residents hoping to leave this Garbage state more than any other. This is just another reason to leave. Virginia and Pennsylvania are just a stones throw away.

I love the Slingshot BTW. I hope to own one sometime next year or year after.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
The concept is States can be more restrictive than federal. Federal can stipulate a standard and a State can add to it, like the California emissions, as long as it doesn't slacken the Federal law.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
The concept is States can be more restrictive than federal. Federal can stipulate a standard and a State can add to it, like the California emissions, as long as it doesn't slacken the Federal law.
Well put. I can understand a State addressing safety issues, or even emissions given how many vehicles are packed into pretty small areas in California. Defining a motorcycle as having a "saddle" while seemingly exclusively using the term "seat" in other parts of Texas State Law serves no useful legal point as far as I am concerned.
Even California makes allowances for bringing a non-California emissions vehicle, as long as the vehicle is purchased used with more than 7500 miles on it before the California purchaser tries acquires it. In this case, the Federal standard is recognized by California. Texas' restrictive definition makes no allowance for complying with the Federal standard, even if a buyer of a Slingshot had the vehicle legally registered in another State before a job moved him/her to Texas.
Who would have thought California would be more respectful of personal property rights than Texas?
Sorry, if my rant seems like a threadjack. It would be nice to know the exact rationale each of theses States are using to discriminate against the Slingshot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That may be the "trend" but it is not always the practice. Look at states that have legalized pot - it is still against federal law...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a side note, I sent a email to Polaris asking what the specific hold up is for Maryland. Hopefully they will get back to me. With that, we will have to go to Annapolis in January and see if we can't get some support from the stuffed shirts there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That would be nice in this particular case, but the US is setup where the states are supposed to have power over the fed not the other way around. The fed is only supposed to do what it is limited to by the Constitution. Stuff like defense, war, printing money, roads. I suspect if it were up to the recent feds we would all be driving some Chinese built electric Smart car equivalent. Of course stupidity and greed have greatly expanded what the Fed actually does but that is a different forum.
Hey My wife has a Smart Car. Daimler Mercedes. 50 mpg. Never had one problem with it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to say, Polaris does have good service. I got this today;

[email protected] <[email protected]>
1:32 PM (4 minutes ago)

to me

Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Polaris Industries.

I understand you are looking to see why Maryland is not accepting the Slingshot.

At this time Polaris is still working with the state there has not been a determination made at this time.
However, if you wish to contact your local state representative we would encourage you to do so.

We thank you for your time and patients while this is in review.

Thank You,
Ashley
Polaris Consumer Service
Polaris Industries, Inc.
************** DO NOT REPLY ******************
Reply mail to this address is not received.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to say, Polaris does have good service. I got this today;

[email protected] <[email protected]>
1:32 PM (4 minutes ago)

to me

Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Polaris Industries.

I understand you are looking to see why Maryland is not accepting the Slingshot.

At this time Polaris is still working with the state there has not been a determination made at this time.
However, if you wish to contact your local state representative we would encourage you to do so.

We thank you for your time and patients while this is in review.

Thank You,
Ashley
Polaris Consumer Service
Polaris Industries, Inc.
************** DO NOT REPLY ******************
Reply mail to this address is not received.
Hey to the future ss owners in Md I recently recieved my Md tag and registration after purchasing my SS in Va , I cant explain it however when I had my first T-rex after six or so months they had sent me a letter requesting to bring back my title and reg. and of course the tag , needles to say that never happened, after the state changed some wording in the definition of trike it was made good again I'm really shocked to learn Not approved for sale! I only reserved and purchased mine in Va thinking it would be a really cool ride home when I would have recieved it (supposedly) in october , Unfortinaitly it wasn't till first of Dec.and of course raining the whole day of recieving

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hey to the future ss owners in Md I recently recieved my Md tag and registration after purchasing my SS in Va , I cant explain it however when I had my first T-rex after six or so months they had sent me a letter requesting to bring back my title and reg. and of course the tag , needles to say that never happened, after the state changed some wording in the definition of trike it was made good again I'm really shocked to learn Not approved for sale! I only reserved and purchased mine in Va thinking it would be a really cool ride home when I would have recieved it (supposedly) in october , Unfortinaitly it wasn't till first of Dec.and of course raining the whole day of recieving
Congrats to you Hyper.

It is usually only the slow dull-witted nature of government workers that give me hope for the future.

I am so glad that ignoring them worked for you on the T-rex and hope they are so slow they don't even wake up to the SS tag you got away with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I guess I buy in Dover, De. Or just head back home to Maine. It will still be legally registered. Maryland will be hard pressed to force you to change registration on the Slingshot as they don't recognize the vehicle. I had a similar problem with my motorcycle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So I guess I buy in Dover, De. Or just head back home to Maine. It will still be legally registered. Maryland will be hard pressed to force you to change registration on the Slingshot as they don't recognize the vehicle. I had a similar problem with my motorcycle.
no , its legal , or they would have never sent me my tag , back befor 07" the definition of a trike in Md only recognized the rear axle having two wheels , in state house session of 07" they changed it to recognize that a trike could be either or, 2 back 1 front or vise versa . back with my first T-rex it was discovered (after they sent us our reg.) that the rex was 1 back 2 front

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I don't know what about all the states of proving marijuana and it's against federal law

1 - 20 of 20 Posts