Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:Having gotten fed up trying to get my belt to track properly after replacing my angle drive, I finally scheduled an appt at a local dealer to have the belt aligned in hopes they'd get it fixed. Yesterday, I drove down to the dealer and about 1.5 hrs later, I was ready to head home. I had encountered some heavy rain just before I got the the dealer and a 2 hr lull in the rain forecast was just starting, so I headed home.
Once on the Interstate, I realized there was enough ponding water that I decided to take the next exit where I could drive more slowly. As I approached the exit at around 40 mph or so, there was a lot of water falling onto the roadway from an overpass, resulting in a large area of ponding water. When I hit the ponding water, my 2015 Slingshot spun around and I impacted the right concrete barrier with the left front fender. The Slingshot then climbed the barrier and fell back onto the right shoulder upside down and skidded to a stop, now facing in the direction of traffic. It took me a minute or so tog et my body braced so I could take my weight off the seat belt and release thebelt so I could fall donw into the several inches of water, with my cell phone in my back pocket and underwater. Somehow, the contents of my wallet didn't seem to get damaged despite being in my rear pocket.
Fortunately for me, the combination of seat belt, roll hoops and my TD Top did an excellent job protecting me, leaving me with only a less than dime-sized scratch on my left elbow. The TD Top is not listed as a roll cage, but I feel it was a major factor in reducing any injuries I might have other wise experienced. The TD Top was deformed and pushed back about 4-6" from just ahead of the windshield to behind it but maintained its overall shape.
Unfortunately, The policeman who responded to the crash told me he thought most insurers would consider a vehicle that has flipped upside down to be totaled. I hope to go back and get some pics to better document the situation before calling my insurance company on Monday.

Unfortunately, I will probably be visiting this Forum less since I'm just now beginning to realize I now need to adjust to Life without my Slingshot! Unless, of course, some long-lost relative or friend I didn't realize I had gifts me a replacement Slingshot!
;)

I DO feel lucky to have come out of this unscathed!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure am glad that you escaped relatively unscathed and we will certainly miss you around here.
A curiosity if I may, did you turn off the traction control and/or ESP? Also, what tires did you have installed?
Bill
I must admit that I hadn't remembered to turn off theTC. I'm not sure if that switch is still connected as I have tried it in the past and never saw any light to indicate it had done anything. I had been meaning to check if the switch was actually connected, but just never got around to it.:( I doubt if deactivating any of the nannies would have made a difference as there must have been 3+ inches of water that had ponded up with the extra water falling from the overpass. I imagine that as soon as I hit the water that the right wheel lost contact with the road surface with the Slingshot then pivoting to the right.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I must admit that I hadn't remembered to turn off theTC. I'm not sure if that switch is still connected as I have tried it in the past and never saw any light to indicate it had done anything. I had been meaning to check if the switch was actually connected, but just never got around to it.:( I doubt if deactivating any of the nannies would have made a difference as there must have been 3+ inches of water that had ponded up with the extra water falling from the overpass. I imagine that as soon as I hit the water that the right wheel lost contact with the road surface with the Slingshot then pivoting to the right.
Just glad that you are OK!

Bill

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
All vehicles have issues in the rain. My 95 mustang gt would hydroplane very easily. My 2015 vette will also. Just need to be very careful but very careful doesn't always work no matter what your driving.
I can relate to that where the very first time we experienced the SlingShot on wet roads was with the Kenda tires still installed and before we knew about shutting off the nannies. The Grasshopper sashayed out from under me in a blink of an eye, but luckily I was able to keep it on the road without hitting anything. I considered this very fortunate especially when the Corvette behind me ended up in the blackberry bushes. Since we have installed better all-weather tires and with the first drop of rain the nannies come off!
Bill

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slingshots and rain do not mix well.
I ahd made the service appt 2 weeks earlier. I didn't hit rain until I was about 1 mile from the dealer and the forecast was for a period of lessened rain, so I gave it a shot. The irritating part is I was I almost never got on the Interstate and thought about just going the slow way using the service road all the way home. The service roads here sometimes get a lot of water, too, but I could have just driven slower. Of course, the lifted trucks going by and splashing water everywhere would definitely have soaked me. Unfortunately for me, there was just enough ponding water extending into the exit lane for my Slingshot to start hydroplaning. I'm really goning to miss it!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ahd made the service appt 2 weeks earlier. I didn't hit rain until I was about 1 mile from the dealer and the forecast was for a period of lessened rain, so I gave it a shot. The irritating part is I was I almost never got on the Interstate and thought about just going the slow way using the service road all the way home. The service roads here sometimes get a lot of water, too, but I could have just driven slower. Of course, the lifted trucks going by and splashing water everywhere would definitely have soaked me. Unfortunately for me, there was just enough ponding water extending into the exit lane for my Slingshot to start hydroplaning. I'm really goning to miss it!
Insurance will replace it.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KBB shows my 2015 Slingshot Base model with a trade-in to dealer value of $13175 or dealer purchase of $17295 with typical mileage, but I have just under 64K miles, so who knows what the insurance will value it. I have the MadStad/TD Ultimate Slingshot Bumper, upgraded SLR seats, a Hahn Turbo Stage 2, Canadian Headlights and a DIY radio/stereo with rear camera capability, but I never installed the camera. Just the add-ons listed total around $6600, but who knows how much the insurance company will allow. I carried $3000 in accessory coverage and a $1000 Deductible for Collision coverage. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what I'm offered.

·
Registered
231 Posts
KBB shows my 2015 Slingshot Base model with a trade-in to dealer value of $13175 or dealer purchase of $17295 with typical mileage, but I have just under 64K miles, so who knows what the insurance will value it. I have the MadStad/TD Ultimate Slingshot Bumper, upgraded SLR seats, a Hahn Turbo Stage 2, Canadian Headlights and a DIY radio/stereo with rear camera capability, but I never installed the camera. Just the add-ons listed total around $6600, but who knows how much the insurance company will allow. I carried $3000 in accessory coverage and a $1000 Deductible for Collision coverage. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what I'm offered.
Math predicts a check from the insurance for about $19,300.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't put much faith in kbb or nada. Went to trade my vette books said 45-49 avg trade in. Dealer offered 40. Went to 2nd dealer same offer. They use intelliprice. Must be for dealers only. Vette was in excellent shape.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Math predicts a check from the insurance for about $19,300.
Unfortunately, with a reduction for mileage and any other excuses they can find to reduce the value, I expect considerably less. In the Best case scenario, since I only have $3K coverage for accessories, I'd be surprised if I get an offer over $15K and probably significantly less.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Unfortunately, with a reduction for mileage and any other excuses they can find to reduce the value, I expect considerably less. In the Best case scenario, since I only have $3K coverage for accessories, I'd be surprised if I get an offer over $15K and probably significantly less.
You may be absolutely correct. I should have said no more than $19,300. You however should, with the $1000 deductible you chose to gamble with, find a comparable replacement. Not a new one of course.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts