Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what you all think a SS SL world be worth to someone that didn't get in on the first orders and doesn't want to wait for the next orders to ship out? In other words I'm considering selling my SS as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you can find the right person where money has no meaning only the look at me factor, well you could pretty much name your own price.
Case in point I pre-ordered RS Camaro soft top with ground effects 43,000 sold it six months later for 64,000

·
Registered
36 Posts
Timing will be poor. It will be cold weather in most of the country, so many of the normal "must have now" crowd would likely wait till February to spend money. By then it may be simple enough to walk into a dealership and just grab one. I personally doubt there will be much of a market for immediately turning around the slingshot due to the timing of the release.

Honestly, I expect more for sale in December than buyers not willing to wait when perusing ebay motors. I'm 100% certain some folks already got a space in line solely with the thought of reselling. That's going to be a terrible market when the weather is cold.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
And if the new story coming from Texas is true and the drive belts start failing like I think they may, the SS may be available at fire sale prices in the near future.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I went to buy a new 2014 Shelby and the dealer nearest me and it had a $95,000 price tag - a $30,000 dealer markup on it - and someone paid it.

Find the right sucker... er... customer and I would guess you could get at least $5k out of it.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm sure there are some dealers with no depositors or a low number of them at this point. It has to be priceworthy enough for the buyer to pull their existing deposit, and be comparable to buying an SS at a dealership elsewhere and having it shipped to them or flying up to said open slot dealership and driving it home from there.
I imagine demand has been somewhat greater in the warmer states than it has been in the north, which is where the most fervent buyers must be.

Reactions: luckyone

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I'm sure there are some dealers with no depositors or a low number of them at this point. It has to be priceworthy enough for the buyer to pull their existing deposit, and be comparable to buying an SS at a dealership elsewhere and having it shipped to them or flying up to said open slot dealership and driving it home from there.
I imagine demand has been somewhat greater in the warmer states than it has been in the north, which is where the most fervent buyers must be.
I agree but I have a feeling that once folks see these on the streets demand is going to skyrocket.

Plus they will be "really" tested by the magazines/online and not just by the motorcycle industry, but the car industry as well (a la Morgan).

I think the dealers are going to be busy taking deposits over the next couple months especially in the south. Didn't one dealer say they took 18 deposits when they had a demo SS in the dealership? Kip - how was response once people could actually see them at your place?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I agree but I have a feeling that once folks see these on the streets demand is going to skyrocket.

Plus they will be "really" tested by the magazines/online and not just by the motorcycle industry, but the car industry as well (a la Morgan).

I think the dealers are going to be busy taking deposits over the next couple months especially in the south. Didn't one dealer say they took 18 deposits when they had a demo SS in the dealership? Kip - how was response once people could actually see them at your place?
We've actually had a customer get cold feet and pull a deposit already! Once October turned to November in a state known for white Thanksgivings, who can blame them? /-:

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
We've actually had a customer get cold feet and pull a deposit already! Once October turned to December in a state known for white Thanksgivings, who can blame them? /-:
Well that sucks but I can understand. I do think you will be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest once these hit the streets - hopefully before spring.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Well that sucks but I can understand. I do think you will be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest once these hit the streets - hopefully before spring.
Hah, you made me realize I wrote December in my last post! I meant November, but even our only SL still doesn't have a delivery date. What can we do?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I personally wouldn't take delivery if I wasn't going to own it. The delayed deliveries appears to be strictly volume related in that Polaris wants to be sure they have a large enough stockpile to meet initial demand. That won't do much to assist the short term resale marketplace and I for one am happy about that even if it means I have had to wait a bit longer.

I have no issues with anyone making a profit on an material item but our society has gotten out of hand with people waiting in lines for shit they don't need so that they can skin a sucker for a quick buck. I think the dealers that have put their money, and their arses, on the line for Polaris should reap the profits. Not John Q lookin' to rip a fellow enthusiast off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Considering the time of year sale and polaris desires to meet demand and it being such a niche market I would say their is a very narrow window to make some money but it wont be a lot.

I want an SS and I dont have one preordered because I dont buy without seeing in the flesh and because we will have plenty of snow in short order and wasting a warranty while having to move my daily driver outdoors to get snow covered every night is a heck of a waste.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the better senario is to wait a year when I believe the SS will go up in price
$5000-$10,000. It happened with the can am spyder, in two years from release the sticker price was $10,000 more.

·
Registered
503 Posts
And if the new story coming from Texas is true and the drive belts start failing like I think they may, the SS may be available at fire sale prices in the near future.
Well the conversion factor in regular trikes with crankshafts going to belts via a pinion gear has been shown to be problematic. This is one reservation that I have at this time about my deposit on a base SS

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your info and opinions. I put a deposit on one initially to ride the hell out of it. Not sell. I do have other places my money can go also I may just sit on it and watch what happens.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks for all your info and opinions. I put a deposit on one initially to ride the hell out of it. Not sell. I do have other places my money can go also I may just sit on it and watch what happens.
I am hinging my bet on an improved drive line over other manufacturers versions. Polaris makes excellent products. The SS should be no exception.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I personally wouldn't take delivery if I wasn't going to own it. The delayed deliveries appears to be strictly volume related in that Polaris wants to be sure they have a large enough stockpile to meet initial demand. That won't do much to assist the short term resale marketplace and I for one am happy about that even if it means I have had to wait a bit longer.

I have no issues with anyone making a profit on an material item but our society has gotten out of hand with people waiting in lines for shit they don't need so that they can skin a sucker for a quick buck. I think the dealers that have put their money, and their arses, on the line for Polaris should reap the profits. Not John Q lookin' to rip a fellow enthusiast off.
The dealers have a few bucks on the line if you figure the ss singularly from the other products the dealer sells. 20k for the right to sell the line then cost per unit.
John q also has to make an investment of cost per unit and assumes the risk that he won't sell it. John q is just providing a service to someone who didn't preorder but wants it now.
No different than a dealer skinning fellow enthusiasts by charging over sticker price or adding ridiculous freight and prep charges.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts