Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie in Prescott, AZ, and I don't see many SSs. Every time I start mine, the starter has a 'winding down' noise after she starts. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it doesn't sound good. Almost sounds like a bad starter that never engaged. When I drove her home from Phoenix there was a very noticeable 'whine' at 80 + mph. I have noticed it a couple times since, but not nearly as loud. I have a 15 SL, full windshield, all recalls done, 3000 miles. It was 105 when I drove home from Phoenix. Prescott is in the 80's, so I thought maybe it's heat related. I have only see one other ss in Prescott, and haven't had a chance to talk to him (or any other owners personally).

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The critical thing to ensure is that your starter is not hanging on the flywheel. That is bad and can destroy a flywheel pretty quickly. Which means you get to pull the motor and tranny. (if you ruin the flywheel).

It's hard to diagnose without actually hearing it, but if you can post a decent .avi of the sound I am sure that would help.

Edit: In bold for clarification.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The 80mph whine could be the angle drive and belt combined. Most here have gone to a different grease in the angle drive, Royal Purple or Red Line Shock Proof. I went with the Red Line, I think it is the 90- 150 blend. Many have also loosened the drive belt, factory specs seem to be way to tight. The belt is carbon fiber construction and shrinks when warm. I have mine loose loose probably over the 1.5 inch of slack, others are running less, but mine still gets tight when warmed up. When you start the engine press and release the start button, you do not need to hold it in until engine starts, just press and release.

Welcome to the site!

LC

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The 80mph whine could be the angle drive and belt combined. Most here have gone to a different grease in the angle drive, Royal Purple or Red Line Shock Proof. I went with the Red Line, I think it is the 90- 150 blend. Many have also loosened the drive belt, factory specs seem to be way to tight. The belt is carbon fiber construction and shrinks when warm. I have mine loose loose probably over the 1.5 inch of slack, others are running less, but mine still gets tight when warmed up. When you start the engine press and release the start button, you do not need to hold it in until engine starts, just press and release.

Welcome to the site!

LC
I was thinking the same thing but didn't state it because the starter is up front and the belt, well, in back. Hope OP is not talking about belt whine which is obviously totally normal and a hell of a long ways away from the starter. :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
I was thinking the same thing but didn't state it because the starter is up front and the belt, well, in back. Hope OP is not talking about belt whine which is obviously totally normal and a hell of a long ways away from the starter. :)
Sounded to me that he was talking about two different noises. If the starter was staying engaged at 80 there would be starter kibble all over the place.

LC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts