Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from my dealer in DFW area. And apparently Texas legislation has decided NOT to recognize the Slingshot as a motorcycle. THEREFORE, NO Slingshot owners in Texas. This sucks- after waiting all this time. Any other fellow Texans hear the same thing????

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is absolute bull s. How can a dealer let this happen. Guys Halloween is past, so is April fools. This has to be a dream. Tell me it is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This is absolute bull s. How can a dealer let this happen. Guys Halloween is past, so is April fools. This has to be a dream. Tell me it is.
This is NOT a dealer.
The dealers DID NOT let this happen.
This is some state government employee who did not get his kickback........
or one that did get a kickback from some other "rival" company.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
It does blow but I am keeping the faith! If this was actually already "approved" it should be readily fixed!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How is the DFW Stallion Trike made and sold in Texas if it has a steering wheel and an enclosed motor?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^That's what makes zero sense in all of the replies coming back from the DMV. They are talking out both sides. My guess is if challenged the Stallion and T-Rex would have to be banned as well.

·
Registered
792 Posts
How is the DFW Stallion Trike made and sold in Texas if it has a steering wheel and an enclosed motor?
The driver mounts a saddle in the Stallion. note how the driver/rider mounts and straddles the massive hump in the center. Clever the way they built it to avoid the pitfalls that Polaris is experiencing.

image.jpg

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The driver mounts a saddle in the Stallion. note how the driver/rider mounts and straddles the massive hump in the center. Clever the way they built it to avoid the pitfalls that Polaris is experiencing.

View attachment 2493
Don't know if any one of you are thinking the same thing!!!! Look at the picture and see where the cupholder is!!! I don't know if I would want hot coffee spilled on my precious private part ..... Ouch, just the thought hurts me already :eek:
But in the other hand, it's a good excuse for the nurse to play with it :D:angelic:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks BKL for this great information! I am going to continue to pursue these changes with my legislators and I encourage everyone to do the same. I should have my SS by the end of the year according to the latest information provided to my dealer from Polaris. Since we live in Texarkana, a Texas/Arkansas border city, our SS will be co-owned by my father-in-law (Arkansas resident) and my husband (Texas resident). We have no choice but to title, register and insure it in Arkansas at this time so Arkansas will get the sales tax and registration fees. We were always going to buy from Greeson's in Hot Springs, Arkansas as they are our closest Polaris dealer and have always given us great service on my husband's Victory TCD.

The first thing we are going to do when we bring it home is take a pic at the Texas border marker on Highway 71 North (see pic#1) with the SS sitting on the Texas side. Then we are are going on to downtown Texarkana and taking a pic with the engine in Texas and the license plate in Arkansas in front of photographer's island (see pic#2) on the state line. OMG as I was looking up a photo of this to post here, the ad at the top of the page for the RoadsideAmerica.com webpage (see pic#3) is for a Slingshot. I'm taking this to be a good omen.

I am going to make appointments with my representative and senator in order for them to personally inspect and ride in my SS. I would be happy to do the same for any other fellow Texan who can get an appointment with their legislators on a date and time that I can make it (withing a reasonable driving distance, of course, Texas is a big state.) Maybe some of you potential Texas SS owners can get your dealers to set up something with the legislators in your area on a weekend at their dealership. I will do my best to help get this passed in Texas. If you want my contact information, just send me a private message.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I finally got a reply today to the email I sent to my Texas State Senator Kevin P. Eltife on November 11, 2014 - see below:

Mrs. Westfall,
On behalf of Senator Eltife, thanks for your email. We have checked into this and you are correct that the statute as written does not cover this new design. The Legislature is scheduled to go into Session in January and will likely fix it then, but realistically the new legislation passed doesn't go into effect until next June at the earliest.

There is an outside chance that there will be a temporary fix in the meantime, but we're not sure that's going to be workable when the statute is clearly in conflict with this new design.

We hope you'll be able to get your new motorcycle soon, and will do what we can to help in the Legislative Session.

Cheryl Vanek
Chief of Staff
Senator Kevin P. Eltife
P.O. Box 12068
Austin, Texas 78711
(512) 463-0101

My original email:

Subject: Registering new 3 wheel motorcycle in Texas

I just became aware that a problem has arisen with registering the new 3 wheel Slingshot motorcycle manufactured by Polaris Industries as a street legal motorcycle in the state of Texas. It appears that the Texas DMV definition of a motorcycle reads as follows: "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, other than a tractor, that is equipped with a rider's saddle and designed to have when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground." As a result I have been told that a fax went out from Polaris this week to Texas Polaris dealers that no Slingshots would be delivered to Texas dealers. Needless to say I am very upset as I have live in Texarkana, Texas and have had a deposit on my much anticipated 3 wheel Slingshot motorcycle since August with the closest dealer to me in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I may not be your typical "biker" as I am a 57 year old grandmother and elementary special education teacher close to retirement with a chronic nerve/pain condition that makes it hard for me to safely drive a traditional motorcycle and grip the handlebars and pull the clutch and brake levers by myself. I have thus been forced to be content to be the passenger behind my husband. My Honda Shadow sits covered on our carport gathering dust. This new 3 wheel motorcycle designed by Polaris solved all of my physical problems as it has a steering wheel and traditional gas and clutch pedals. It has side by side seating so my husband and I are excited to be able to ride side by side as well while we tour the country during our retirement years. I have been researching this situation and came upon a similar statute in Arizona with one key difference - it reads "seat or saddle." It appears that it is time to update the Texas definition of a motorcycle to include this designation in order to keep up with the latest design innovations. Please help us with this matter. Thank-you.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Imagine how the dealers feel. I assume Polaris still wants them to pay for the Slingshots even though the dealers can't sell 'em to Texas buyers. Gotta suck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts