Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This really sucks. If they had just allowed the standard headphone jack to input into the infotainment it would have been fine. The bluetooth introduces to much noise in the system to be of any use for shoving audio into the system. I can not believe there isn't at least a satellite hook up on the radio so you can buy a module and plug into it. Can am sells one that integrates with the factory unit on theirs.

If you live in the backwoods like I do there isn't always a cell signal to stream audio to your radio. Sirius come in handy...

·
Registered
362 Posts
They bluetooth on mine works fine using my playlists from my phone. I use Sirius in my other vehicles, part of the system though. I haven't added the app to my phone and tried it yet. I will do that, as well as try Pandora. I'll let you know.

I think a jack would have made it more susceptible to H2O. But you know more about this stuff than me.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I'm saying is there is NO way other than Bluetooth and USB to feed anything into the infotainment system. This is bad. And H20 wouldntbe an issue because the Jack would be in the glovebox beside the USB jack. When your at the Cherahola Skyway there isn't any cell service and nearly every location I ride. Satellite radio works pretty much everywhere. How hard would it have been to add a module to this system and charge 100.00 for it? The infotainment system is made by the same company that makes it for Can Am. Bluetooth had a pretty bad loss of signal quality. You wont notice this on most systems that are stock. But once you clean up the signal and amplify it you can tell the Bluetooth has loss.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
They bluetooth on mine works fine using my playlists from my phone. I use Sirius in my other vehicles, part of the system though. I haven't added the app to my phone and tried it yet. I will do that, as well as try Pandora. I'll let you know.

I think a jack would have made it more susceptible to H2O. But you know more about this stuff than me.
It's been said before and even those who haven't said it, probably have thought it, but for over $2,000 for an add-on radio in day and age to not have GPS, Satellite Radio, and yes, even a cd/dvd player is unconscionable. Then to run your nose in it, the owners manual has GPD listed and says not all models will have this feature. HUH? Yea, the base model doesn't have that feature because the base model didn't even come with a $49 AM/FM radio, and the only other model they make is the SL and that doesn't have it. I guess they're preparing to sell this to Somalia or someplace that really NEEDS a GPS to get around.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is an additional plug that comes on the harness that ends up behind the display just laying there. It looks like the standard polaris Sirius unit would plug into it. I can't confirm that. And yes I agree it should have been better for the money. WAY better.

I forgot to measure the opening when I had my display out. Does anybody know how big the opening is.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I was told in the very early days after the unveiling by some Polaris folks this would have a satellite option. I wonder if that fell through.

Hey, you can be like me in the Summer, screaming down the freeway, with my windows rolled down and my sunroof open, blaring pre-downloaded podcasts out my speakers!

I can recommend some good ones to you! :D

I agree, though. I thought for the price satellite would be an option. I would really like to see that on a future info system without the need for a price upgrade, or, at least an AUX jack.
The owner's manual does account for some radio bands in other countries as if they were planning to export the vehicle elsewhere in the world soon, but it is possible there are some places that can only rely on a satellite type radio system to get any reliable audio.
Even in first world places like Australia, all the fun places to drive are going to be mostly uninhabited. :watching:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
@RABTECH granted the quality wouldn't be "great" but you could get one of the portable units that broadcast over FM. They are not horrible.

I agree though...heck I have Satellite radio in my airplane.....everything should support it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Unforgivable, Polaris.

I know, too harsh as usual.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I did read somewhere on here, and I think it was in the radio section of the owners manual, you could hook up a Garmin GPS through the audio portion of the radio so the directions would mute the songs and play the GPS. In that section all you needed was an interface cable.

I had a GPS Zumo on my Harley that worked perfectly with the interface cable, nothing to cut or splice, just plug it in, it also had Satellite radio as well, integrated into the Zumo GPS,,,worked out great. If either Polaris or Garmin would come up with that interface cable, problem solved. And the Zumo I had was waterproof as well,,so no worries there.

Tom

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Believe I have found the rear speaker outs. I remembered seeing this empty plug when I installed my kit. If I had to guess the purple may be a power trigger wire.

Reactions: mikeKC

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where is it situated? Is it behind the radio Consol?
Yes. Its part of the harness that comes with the infotainment system. I noticed in the menu of the system it had a fader. So I got to digging and this plug appeared. Also I noticed the brain for the infotainment had a pass thru so you could plug another harness into it on the side. They give you a rubber plug to cover the hole. I looked up the satellite raiding for a victory motorcycle and MSRP was 599.00 for the module to add. So even after a 35% discount that would be way to expensive.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes. Its part of the harness that comes with the infotainment system. I noticed in the menu of the system it had a fader. So I got to digging and this plug appeared. Also I noticed the brain for the infotainment had a pass thru so you could plug another harness into it on the side. They give you a rubber plug to cover the hole. I looked up the satellite raiding for a victory motorcycle and MSRP was 599.00 for the module to add. So even after a 35% discount that would be way to expensive.
RT , can you please tell me, or maybe take a picture of.....which are the plugs that are used for the radio system? And which ones are free?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The infotainment system has a brain box and a display and harness. The harness has a left speaker plug, right speaker plug, USB plug, and it has a large plug that goes to the brain box. There is also a diagnostic plug that plugs into the diagnostic port under the steering wheel. Then there is a diagnostic port that is on the harness that replaces the one you used earlier. Basically you are using the port to get the speed. And they provide you another port because they used the original one. Then the harness gets its power in the center behind the display from a 3 wire plug. And I found the plug I showed you today which is behind the display on the same harness. I think its the rear speaker output.
And the display has 4 open ports for plugs ABCD is how they are labeled. You will plug B and D in I think. You will have two empty.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The infotainment system has a brain box and a display and harness. The harness has a left speaker plug, right speaker plug, USB plug, and it has a large plug that goes to the brain box. There is also a diagnostic plug that plugs into the diagnostic port under the steering wheel. Then there is a diagnostic port that is on the harness that replaces the one you used earlier. Basically you are using the port to get the speed. And they provide you another port because they used the original one. Then the harness gets its power in the center behind the display from a 3 wire plug. And I found the plug I showed you today which is behind the display on the same harness. I think its the rear speaker output.
Thank you , it helps a lot with some of the questions

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
And the display has 4 open ports for plugs ABCD is how they are labeled. You will plug B and D in I think. You will have two empty.

Rabtech, you lost me at "The infotainment system has a brain........: Good thing I bought the SL then.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not seeing the USB port ?????? If it has a USB input, could you use this $2.00 cable to run a MP3 player or the one with a female 3.5mm jack to run your satellite radio ??????

usb.jpg

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not seeing the USB port ?????? If it has a USB input, could you use this $2.00 cable to run a MP3 player or the one with a female 3.5mm jack to run your satellite radio ??????

View attachment 3296
I saw those on ebay also. Those have a specific purpose . I can't tell you what but they won't convert the usb to an analog input. Or at least "I don't think they could". That 2.5mm jack looks like it has 4 rings which would tell me it has in headphone and microphone capability . I think that is going to be some kind of dictaphone or maybe a phone that connects with usb to program it. .. Just a guess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts