Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer just called to say they got both. I'm first on their list and get to choose which one I want. However, owner called Polaris and Polaris told them he can't sell either, that both have to be a demo. They said all dealers need to have two in stock before they will start shipping sold units. We All know that not all dealers are adhering to this policy. I'm kind of pissed!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Polaris says 1 demo I thought.
Sounds like a case of dealer whore. He found a buyer willing to pay way over sticker maybe?
Who knows?
Woodstock says they expected theirs in yesterday.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My dealer just called to say they got both. I'm first on their list and get to choose which one I want. However, owner called Polaris and Polaris told them he can't sell either, that both have to be a demo. They said all dealers need to have two in stock before they will start shipping sold units. We All know that not all dealers are adhering to this policy. I'm kind of pissed!
That seems really odd, and not at all like what others have expressed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote from my salesman at VanWall in Indianola Iowa:

"No Polaris doesn't require you to have a demo at all, that's up to the each dealer. I think it would be silly for dealer to put on SL in the demo program while still trying to get them. That is why we were very open about putting our first base in the demo program from the begining."

Of course I'm #1 for the base model :p Effectively putting me in the #2 slot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like another dealer to chime in on this one. I'm guessing it's more of a recommendation. Who knows, I'd like to have it home now, but it's not like I could really drive it anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention, it's not that they are going to sell it, it will be on their showroom floor till their presold units come in. They are doing what Polaris tells them to do. But other dealers choose to take care of their customers first. Good for them!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Same story at my dealer. I've thought from the start that this would be Polaris's policy. I hope Kip and the other dealers that put their customers first don't pay a price for defying the suits at Polaris. On the other hand, it could be that the "Demo first" dealers just want them for personal reasons.

Do you have your's yet Kip?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Forgot to mention, it's not that they are going to sell it, it will be on their showroom floor till their presold units come in. They are doing what Polaris tells them to do. But other dealers choose to take care of their customers first. Good for them!
They sound very confused....

Or, they want to confuse you enough so you actually believe what they are saying.

Thats a huge bummer because there are basically 0 dealers keeping 2 "demos" from the first shipment.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'd like another dealer to chime in on this one. I'm guessing it's more of a recommendation. Who knows, I'd like to have it home now, but it's not like I could really drive it anyway.
Today was a perfect day. 29 degrees, sunny with virtually no wind, roads pretty much dried off from yesterday. :D

Maybe we could hook up in the spring and take a cruise out to the Galena area. I'm in Saint Charles. Someday I'll tell you the story about how I got mine. Wasn't from Nielsens or Woodstock.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wriggly, I live in Aurora, not too far from you. I've bought many vehicles from Nielsens, they know me well. They are a by the book dealer. Ted called and Polaris said don't sell. I don't have a problem with that in the middle of winter. I sold motorcycles for 6 years in Chicago, I know how things go. In fact, they never changed their viewpoint on them coming any earlier than late Oct until Polaris sent the "fax". It stinks, but I'm not mad at them until a dealer shows me that Paris says it's ok to sell one.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Same story at my dealer. I've thought from the start that this would be Polaris's policy. I hope Kip and the other dealers that put their customers first don't pay a price for defying the suits at Polaris. On the other hand, it could be that the "Demo first" dealers just want them for personal reasons.

Do you have your's yet Kip?
We've gotten ours and our rep said to sell them once we get them, so we did. One is gone tomorrow, and one is staying until the customer decides to pick it up.
We have a base model on the way still and that was customer #1 at our store for an SS!

·
Registered
186 Posts
They sound very confused....

Or, they want to confuse you enough so you actually believe what they are saying.

Thats a huge bummer because there are basically 0 dealers keeping 2 "demos" from the first shipment.

Good luck.
There are other dealers keeping both of their first two units.

Engelhart Motorsports in Madison, Wi. has the same story. They say they've got 18 deposits but Polaris told them they can't sell the first two. I've stopped in 3 different times over the last 2 months and asked them if they're sticking to that. The last time was last week after people had taken delivery. They just looked baffled when I told em to go online and read about people already taking units home.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I just called customer service at Polaris. They said the dealers can sell them if they want to. She even called somebody else to see if they had to be held, and they said no. Then she called the dealership, talk to one of the owners, he more or less said that the two units are sold. I was told by the salesman, the sales manager, and the main owner that the first one was mine. I have a call into them now to see what they say. This is looking worse by the second. Maybe they just want to keep them so they have something to display. I'll let you know what I find out.

One thing I forgot to add, customer service said that every dealership will get two before any other dealer gets an additional unit.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well, I just called customer service at Polaris. They said the dealers can sell them if they want to. She even called somebody else to see if they had to be held, and they said no. Then she called the dealership, talk to one of the owners, he more or less said that the two units are sold. I was told by the salesman, the sales manager, and the main owner that the first one was mine. I have a call into them now to see what they say. This is looking worse by the second. Maybe they just want to keep them so they have something to display. I'll let you know what I find out.

One thing I forgot to add, customer service said that every dealership will get two before any other dealer gets an additional unit.
At least they are sticking to the story. This is the same thing that Polaris told me yesterday when I asked about the false promises of delivery by the 26th.

I just wonder if the deceptive practices that these dealers are pulling will get them in any trouble with Polaris.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It's not Polaris' position about
Wriggly, I live in Aurora, not too far from you. I've bought many vehicles from Nielsens, they know me well. They are a by the book dealer. Ted called and Polaris said don't sell. I don't have a problem with that in the middle of winter. I sold motorcycles for 6 years in Chicago, I know how things go. In fact, they never changed their viewpoint on them coming any earlier than late Oct until Polaris sent the "fax". It stinks, but I'm not mad at them until a dealer shows me that Paris says it's ok to sell one.
Then you know George. He's no longer there.

As others have posted, it is not Polaris's position that units need to be held. Dealers that are holding them are doing it out of ignorance due to misinterpretation from their rep (I won't mention names but it seems some of them are real idiots.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Polaris called me yesterday (because I wrote them a letter asking if dealers had to keep display units). She said THEY DID NOT, but could not make them sell either. She said they would hope the dealers would sell to those that made deposits. She also called the dealer and told him this. BUT MY DEALER SAID HE WAS KEEPING TO HELP HIS BUSINESS. So I too am shit out of luck.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just talked to my dealer in Carbondale Illinois and he should be getting two and selling two by the end of the week . Said I was lucky I put money down in July for it ,he has a long list .

·
Registered
172 Posts
We've gotten ours and our rep said to sell them once we get them, so we did. One is gone tomorrow, and one is staying until the customer decides to pick it up.
We have a base model on the way still and that was customer #1 at our store for an SS!

Kip when are you hoping to get your next round of slingshots in?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wriggly are you referring to George with the Greek last name? If so, he knows me well and I have a funny story.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts