Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

New Twist Dynamics Rooftop installed

39K views 155 replies 46 participants last post by  Racer93 
#1 · (Edited)

It took about 2 hours to install the new rooftop. Wayne (Twist Dynamics) called to check on how I was doing with the installation and said that the top would mold to the SS as I do the install. I suggested they do a pre-install before they ship. Looks good after install and still married to my helper, 40 years at the end of June. The other 2 hours was fabricating something to hang my luggage that I had bought to hang from the roll hoop.

We rode about 200 miles Saturday on interstate and secondary roads. It felt like their is more air directed into the cockpit than their was before the mod and the shade should keep us cool. This will probably help on our trip West in the hot weather.

I Installed luggage on the back with some help from Harbor Freight . I need to talk to Wayne about getting something put on the back to mount luggage that attaches to a back rest.

Planning on heading to Houston and San Antonio from West Virginia to visit some of my wife's family then Arizona and parts unknown. I would like to get some help from some of our forum friend as to routs to travel and places to stay. Their are several members from the Western States that have quite a bit of knowledge of best of their states. Planning on taking about six weeks to take in as much of the area Grand Canyon and other interesting sights.

Thanks All

See less See more
#6 ·
I got the new snap/strap option. Drove about 3 hundred miles with it and have had no problems. I have the stock windshield and there is more air in the cockpit. Wayne said he was testing a new windshield that deflects the rain over the roof, this may be something worth checking out in the future.

#11 ·
View attachment 14177 View attachment 14178 View attachment 14180

It took about 2 hours to install the new rooftop. Wayne (Twist Dynamics) called to check on how I was doing with the installation and said that the top would mold to the SS as I do the install. I suggested they do a pre-install before they ship. Looks good after install and still married to my helper, 40 years at the end of June. The other 2 hours was fabricating something to hang my luggage that I had bought to hang from the roll hoop.

We rode about 200 miles Saturday on interstate and secondary roads. It felt like their is more air directed into the cockpit than their was before the mod and the shade should keep us cool. This will probably help on our trip West in the hot weather.

I Installed luggage on the back with some help from Harbor Freight . I need to talk to Wayne about getting something put on the back to mount luggage that attaches to a back rest.

Planning on heading to Houston and San Antonio from West Virginia to visit some of my wife's family then Arizona and parts unknown. I would like to get some help from some of our forum friend as to routs to travel and places to stay. Their are several members from the Western States that have quite a bit of knowledge of best of their states. Planning on taking about six weeks to take in as much of the area Grand Canyon and other interesting sights.

Thanks All
How did you get the front bolt holes to line up? Been working on it fro 3 hours now.

#12 ·
First I connected the back and was not able to get the front to line up correctly...Removed the back and then connected the front side that was not lining up and forced the top over to line it up. I connected both front sides to check for fit after I was satisfied it would fit I removed the front again and connected the back side. I was able to connect one front side and had to use ratchet straps and chain hoist to align the other side. The top is very ridged and has to be molded into shape with the install.... It will fit if you force it.

#15 ·
View attachment 14177 View attachment 14178 View attachment 14180

Thanks All
I drive the route from PA to Houston fairly often. Suggest you avoid I-40 and I-20 if at all possible. Best roads are south on I-81 to Knoxville, to Chattanooga, then I-59 to Birmingham, on down to I-12 at Slidell, LA or continue on I-10 around New Orleans and on to Houston.

#25 ·
Wow, was really considering this since it is getting so hot down here.
But guess i will have to wait until they get a better jig built to hold the parts better before welding.
I want to be able to put it on and take it off as needed without all this drama of chain hoists and come-a-longs.

#27 ·
In all fairness, Wayne just called and they are sending me a new top and frame. The old one was damaged in shipping and evidently got twisted out of wack. When it came, the box was torn open on one side and I marked the reciepty as Damaged Box. Twisted will file a claim with the carrier. Now I am back to waiting.

#30 ·
That is bad, mine was real close, yes it takes a little maneuvering to get all bolts started and then crank em down, but anything as big as that frame will take some handling. It is very light but just bulky to do the first time by yourself. Also the first time the screws go through they are fighting the powder coating slightly

#36 ·
In all fairness, Wayne just called and they are sending me a new top and frame. The old one was damaged in shipping and evidently got twisted out of wack. When it came, the box was torn open on one side and I marked the reciepty as Damaged Box. Twisted will file a claim with the carrier. Now I am back to waiting.
We determined it was damaged in shipping on Friday and your frame is going out today. Canvas will follow in about 2 days as you know your canvas is custom color and we don't have that one in stock. We just did an install video with your actual frame to show that it will fit properly if not damaged. I will send it to you and anyone who would like to see it just send me an email to wayne@twistdynamics.com. We will stand behind our products and make sure you are 100% satisfied.

#37 ·
Otter, The bags did not seem to make a difference once installed. The turbulence in the cabin is not bad, may even help this summer.
Like your bag solution anyway. Taking the Sling out West soon too and wouldn't want to stop all the air in the cabin either. Just ordered the Madstad windshield to cover all season possibilities. Really liking this Twist top. Took my machine to Twist's facility, Bob Runman and a helper had it on in 15 minutes or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.