Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mind my factory speakers but I just want a little bass to my sound more rich. Can I get buy with just swapping out the factory front speakers for better ones or do I need to run an amp to new ones? I just want a little bass not the thumping of a big subwoofer. Please any suggestions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Factory speakers are relatively low power for factory head units.

A subwoofer would be a better bet. If you use the factory system, get a line out converter that lets you control the output level of the sub, for my car I have the AudioControl LC7i with a separate bass control.

For richer bass with speakers, they need to be larger and driven by more power (reproducing bass frequencies require more power than mids and highs). basically you need power + space for good bass reproduction.

Fun fact: most audio gear from automotive stereos to your bluetooth speaker, roll off the bass as volume goes up to keep from distorting and that's where something like the audiocontrol line out converters come in, they restore the bass for external amp applications.

616 Posts
I don't mind my factory speakers but I just want a little bass to my sound more rich. Can I get buy with just swapping out the factory front speakers for better ones or do I need to run an amp to new ones? I just want a little bass not the thumping of a big subwoofer. Please any suggestions.
At the end of the day, while you can replace the somewhat inferior factory speakers, it's a bit of a job to do well and it does not address the big picture, which is that not only are the factory speakers lacking, so are the factory enclosures. They are rather thin-walled and "tinny" and like the speakers themselves, a concession to economy. They also don't accept aftermarket replacement speakers well.

That said, when we upgrade the factory audio systems we will use high-quality replacement enclosures such as from SSV Works, allowing us to readily use the aftermarket speakers of our choice, typically choosing marine-grade so they are water-resistant. These aftermarket enclosures are thicker-walled with more mass and as such are much better suited to the task at hand.

My advice is: unless you are willing to go whole-hog and replace both the speakers and the enclosures, as well as consider a more powerful amplifier to punch them up, adding a basic subwoofer remains your most evident solution. If your Slingshot is new enough to also feature adjustable bass/treble or equalizer, with a subwoofer in play you can then tone down the bass going to the stock speakers, which extends the volume you can run them at cleanly and without attendant distortion.

Reactions: EchoRaven02
1 - 5 of 5 Posts