Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We have another 11 seconds of Slingshot Teaser Video! Not a lot of new information, we were able to grab some screen shots that will help to flesh out the look of this vehicle.

If you look really closely, you will see that the gauge has an icon for all sorts of awesome driver aids. I see icons for Traction Control, Stability Control, and more importantly, "Traction Control OFF" and "Stability Control OFF!" This little rocket might just be a lot of run to drive. With these two driver aids, I can only assume that the Slingshot will have enough power that it could get you into trouble if you are not on top of your game.

Looking at the height of the seat to the road, this thing is going to have the seat of your pants getting warm from the asphalt passing under you at a high rate of speed.

The front wheels and tires look to be high quality, road ready tires that leads me to think that this monster is going to mean business and have some serious road-going clout.

The seats don't look exactly comfortable, but I will hold my tongue until I actually get my posterior in the driver's seat. The hoops behind the seats look to be beefy enough to inspire a bit of confidence in the safety of the Slingshot. It reminds me of the hoops on an old Shelby Cobra. Either I am looking at this wrong, but it looks to me like the seat belts anchor in the center and pull towards the outside of the machine... I wonder if they just mirrored the image, or if that is legit. Also, there are no doors that I can see on this machine. I wonder how secure you feel whipping this thing into the corners without any sort of door to inspire the thought of safety.

Check out the video below:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only 6,000 rpm??? I guess the ecotech engine isn't a high rev screamer... sounds good in the video though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
looks like there might be some sort of side bolster to hold you in from the look of the screen shot of the guy talking, look under his arm

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah the Ecotec 2.4 is pretty big for an inline 4 ;) with such low RPMs it probably has some good low end torque though! i'd expect the power to weight ratio to be about 9 pounds per HP!

also looks like my old drawing isn't very accurate anymore XD i should draw a new one. but there's only 2 weeks before it's fully revealed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on how the engine is tuned... the bore/stroke, cam timing, compression ratio,intake system, exhaust system all these variables can be selected to produce maximum horsepower at high rims or be adjusted to produce a more moderate power level at lower speeds. This sounds like the later with a priority given to a smooth idle, good overall run quality, good fuel economy along with a long engine life.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Only 6,000 rpm??? I guess the ecotech engine isn't a high rev screamer... sounds good in the video though.
I noticed that from the Part 1 video. The actual red line is 6250. I looked at most of the 2.4 ecotec tachs and almost all are 6500+ because max power is at 5,800. Interestingly the turbo 2.4 ecotec has a 6250 red line with peak power at 5,300 rpm

Hmmm... Is a 260hp Slingshot in our future?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed that from the Part 1 video. The actual red line is 6250. I looked at most of the 2.4 ecotec tachs and almost all are 6500+ because max power is at 5,800. Interestingly the turbo 2.4 ecotec has a 6250 red line with peak power at 5,300 rpm

Hmmm... Is a 260hp Slingshot in our future?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that turbo automotive engines especially those configured for every day street usage select relatively small turbos that spool up fast and make usable boost at low engine speeds for good throttle response. The down side to that choice is that the flow capabilities start to max out at fairly low engine speeds,,, mechanically the engine is caps able of more revs but the turbo starts acting as a flow restrictor so it makes no sense to rev the engine higher.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts