Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I bought a new SS R with Autodrive. Drove it home which is about 12 miles with no problems. I live in a area with a lake and we have winding streets with a 25 mile speed limit. I went out later to drive around the area to get the feel of the thing. Well when taking a sharp curve it shifts into neutral causing me to have to pull over step on the brake and shift back into drive. I nearly got run over be a F350 that was right behind me to day as I was headed back to the dealer with it. Turns don't effect it if you are stopped and then go into them. Dealer has it now with no idea what's wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday I bought a new SS R with Autodrive. Drove it home which is about 12 miles with no problems. I live in a area with a lake and we have winding streets with a 25 mile speed limit. I went out later to drive around the area to get the feel of the thing. Well when taking a sharp curve it shifts into neutral causing me to have to pull over step on the brake and shift back into drive. I nearly got run over be a F350 that was right behind me to day as I was headed back to the dealer with it. Turns don't effect it if you are stopped and then go into them. Dealer has it now with no idea what's wrong.
Don't look like anyone here has heard of this either just like my dealer and his service team. Hope Polaris has a clue Tuesday I want to be driving this new machine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2020 Slingshot R Automatic shifts very hard like in a parking lot going very slow when it wants to shift back and forth and it then has a lot of clunk with slack in the driveline.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply I have that clunking also and have read that the Autodrive does not like to run at 25 and below. Nothing about shifting into neutral. The Neutral light even comes on. Kind of wish now I had bought at standard but was looking for a more laid back drive. Never liked all the up and down shifting on my Harley and probably ran to slow in a too high a gear most of the time. Shifting was fun in my younger days. Not so much at 73. Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply I have that clunking also and have read that the Autodrive does not like to run at 25 and below. Nothing about shifting into neutral. The Neutral light even comes on. Kind of wish now I had bought at standard but was looking for a more laid back drive. Never liked all the up and down shifting on my Harley and probably ran to slow in a too high a gear most of the time. Shifting was fun in my younger days. Not so much at 73. Don
I have put a pedal commander on mine and it makes spinning the tire very easy and not meaning to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Donald ..... here's an update on what we've found so far on your vehicle that You dropped off on Sat .... I sent an "A" tech out with your vehicle within 30 minutes of you dropping it off and he was able to duplicate the shifting into neutral event once while driving the vehicle approx 10 miles ... We found some shift failure codes in the ECU and sent a service report to Polaris for review after that I took your vehicle for a test drive with the other "A" tech with the laptop connected to your vehicle .. I was able to duplicate the event once myself and we were able to catch it on a service report ... That too has been sent to Polaris for review ... The one thing I noticed that hadn't been mentioned is the fact that the vehicle loses all throttle response before the shift event occurs .... I was slightly decelerating when it occurred and the other tech told me he was too ... So '' I'm not so sure it really is tied to turning as much as decelerating ..... After Talking with Techline today at length about your vehicle we both agreed that we should reprogram the transmission control module and reteach it how and when to shift ... I'll be personally performing that operation on your vehicle tomorrow morning and one of the service advisors or myself will be reaching out to you with the results .... Just wanted you to know I'm on it and I'll get this squared away ASAP so you can get back to enjoying your machine ... Mike P Serv Mgr / Shop Foreman You can call me anytime during our normal business hours Tues - Sat ... If you ever need info or have any questions about your vehicle or anything else ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2020 Slingshot R Automatic shifts very hard like in a parking lot going very slow when it wants to shift back and forth and it then has a lot of clunk with slack in the driveline.
These vehicle have to be taught how to shift when they are new .... There are guidelines to be followed when doing the PDI on them ... If you don't do it properly you will get weird shift points etc .... Also keep in mind that these are not really automatic transmissions per say .... they are manual transmissions that get shifted electronically with the aid of a small hydr pump that's located under the hood up against the engine bulkhead ... They are also brand new to everyone and there's going to be a learning curve to them ..... Also I've noticed if you have it in comfort Driving Mode it takes much longer to complete the actual shift ... I'm on it and will update with any new info ... I'm looking into our PDI dept procedures tomorrow to make sure we are adhering to the proper techniques involved with this vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply I have that clunking also and have read that the Autodrive does not like to run at 25 and below. Nothing about shifting into neutral. The Neutral light even comes on. Kind of wish now I had bought at standard but was looki98ng for a more laid back drive. Never liked all the up and down shifting on my Harley and probably ran to slow in a too high a gear most of the time. Shifting was fun in my younger days. Not so much at 73. Don
[/
let me know if you get the clunking any better

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that is what I call great CS and I am very pleased with the response. Thank you Holeshot Mike for getting back to me. I am really glad you and the techs were able to duplicate the problem as being a electronics tech for 42 years I know trying to fix something that you can't duplicate is very hard and a hit or miss thing. Not owning and driving the SS for maybe 25 miles I didn't notice the lack of throttle response but did note the Slingshot mode felt better then Comfort mode but it also failed also. Have some experience with hydr pumps as I have tilt and trim and Powerpoles on my two boats. I am glad I picked Holeshot to buy from everyone has been so helpful and know you will have me back on the road soon. Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holeshot Mike, thanks for the info.

Interesting....I picked up my 2020 R SS yesterday and had the same general feedback about the Auto. My test drive was with a different R and while I agree it was soft and squishy, it wasn't as bad as mine last night. Concur it felt like it was hunting below 20-30 mph. If there is "learning/teaching" that can be done to new SS, I'm all for it. I was driving home from the dealer at dusk, so I hadn't engaged Slingshot mode and was in comfort mode the whole way. I've got a few nice days this week before it gets too cold, so I'll try to get some more experiences with the auto (maybe a couple hundred miles this week) and post my experiences.

I bought the auto since the wife can't drive a standard, but if the shifting can't be improved, I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

While this isn't an automatic, how much control do we have over the shifting points and such? Can it be tuned?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Holeshot Powersports dealership is on US17 at Fleming Island, Fl. A short drive South from Jacksonville, Fl. Very nice show room. Check out their web site @ holeshotpowersports.com Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
While mine drives great id still like to know what the pdi process is to teach it when to shift
So ... basically it's pretty simple ... From a stop you gently accelerate to approx 15 miles per hour then come to a complete stop ... You repeat this 6 times to complete the PDI process ... After the 6th stop you need to engage the parking brake and turn the vehicle completely off for a few minutes while the Trans module hard writes the data to it's memory. Now having said that these trans modules are very similar to the new gen ECU that Polaris is using in the INDIAN motorcycles ... it's a learning AI ..... It will continue to learn how you drive and your shifting will get better and better the more miles you put on it .. Hope this helps ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now that is what I call great CS and I am very pleased with the response. Thank you Holeshot Mike for getting back to me. I am really glad you and the techs were able to duplicate the problem as being a electronics tech for 42 years I know trying to fix something that you can't duplicate is very hard and a hit or miss thing. Not owning and driving the SS for maybe 25 miles I didn't notice the lack of throttle response but did note the Slingshot mode felt better then Comfort mode but it also failed also. Have some experience with hydr pumps as I have tilt and trim and Powerpoles on my two boats. I am glad I picked Holeshot to buy from everyone has been so helpful and know you will have me back on the road soon. Don
Hey Don .. Okay .. I had to leave early for a medical procedure and I left instructions for some one to call you ... I just figured I'd give you the results of our efforts to this point .... We basically flashed your trans control module and went through the reteach process .. I got special directions from Techline and we performed as instructed ... Now your vehicle does have a crisper shift function but the issue persists ..... I was able to pinpoint the exact time/situation that would cause it ... I can now reproduce it almost at will ... That in affect is good ... I will be able to tell when it's corrected ... I know engineering is working on this and they put there best Tech on it ... We worked together to diagnose and repair the Challenger misfire issue ( See Thread Indian Forum ) He's very Good and motivated ... Having said that ... It's a very tiny fraction of Slingshot's that have incurred this issue .. Less than a half dozen in the country ... It doesn't make it any less aggravating but I don't want anyone to think it's a wide spread issue ... It isn't .. Just Sayin ... I've updated your case with all the results from todays procedures and results complete with digital service reports and some questions that I have to help them with the corrections nesc to get you back to riding ... I'm on it .... My gut is telling me this is going to be a software fix .... We'll see ... as always I'll keep you updated every step of the way ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
.. Mike I got this in a email alert that I had a new post from you on the forum but it never showed up on the forum maybe it will later.
Hey Don .. Okay .. I had to leave early for a medical procedure and I left instructions for some one to call you ... I just figured I'd give you the results of our efforts to this point .... We basically flashed your trans control module and went through the reteach process .. I got special...

No no one called but even if it was done I was going to wait till tomorrow to come get it. Rained hard here most of the afternoon. Don

1 - 20 of 33 Posts