Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted the roof concept plans for the new roofs we will have done and available for Maggie Valley a couple weeks ago, and since had promised pictures of the finalized plug design. We will now be moving forward to perfecting the rough body work and begin production mold construction this week, as finally the weather has allowed us enough breaks to get in the high speed testing, confirming our desired deck angles etc. I can hardly wait to get finished product available on my demo so you can test drive for yourself. The Sling now sticks to the road like glue with the proper deck angles, not till about 80 mph does the wing (roof) start to go aerodynamically neutral enough to stop producing down thrust, but not enough to start producing lift, as of course this lift would be undesirable at high speeds lol. You can see the four inch bolts through the leading edge which we used to allow raising up of roof above its frame , shimming our way up as we went through all speed realms. Then to confirm our suspicions we got real high tech here ,I found about ten or fifteen pounds of down pressure being applied to my four finger tips when using them as those high tech shims , until such time as we would start exceeding 80 mph at which time the down force pinching my fingers would decrease by about 50% but not continue decreasing significantly as speed continued to increase . Which confirmed our design objectives , the roof must not be aerodynamically capable of generating lift at high speeds nor should it generate too much down thrust , simply lowering the leading edge would create a roof that continued to increase down thrust and consequently increasing drag as speeds picked up. Hence the design criteria of an almost aerodynamically neutral roof (wing), always generating some down force , but decreasing at high speeds so as not to create too much drag.
20170416_141021_resized.jpg 20170416_141108_resized.jpg 20170416_141133_resized.jpg 20170416_141208_resized.jpg

And this would have all been available to you a few days ago but I Just couldn't leave well enough alone ! the new roof look just begged for an aerodynamically correct windshield, and possibly a fully enclosed one, So I spent a few days plugging up a new windshield mounting base, an arched one, to significantly reduce the equivalent flat plate area. At ww.ssbodykits.com we're all about improving Slingshot aerodynamics by decreasing induced drag, thereby improving efficiencies.
Another benefit to one arched windshield base is it allows for any height or shape of poly carbonate to be cut, as it doesn't require cast or heat formed corners. Therefore the customer can choose his shape and desired height and we'll cut it for him ! And yes the windshields will be available separate from the need for a roof .
I could use some suggestions here as to what height above the dash pods to terminate a few different model windshields at ? I just read a todays post where @EjFord @misterz and @speshee were discussing new windshields, any suggestions ?

Also please remember, "rough bondo stage," and ignore those mahogany slabs on dash pods, the black marker lines indicate a small half inch base flange that will rest on the pods and be two sided taped to prevent vibration. And if you look closely that arch did start life as my factory blade windshield using its bottom one inch and mounting flanges.

20170416_143804_resized.jpg 20170416_143811_resized.jpg 20170416_143954_resized.jpg 20170416_144030_resized.jpg

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20170429_102152.jpg FIBREGLASS ROOF, SELF SUPPORTING STEEL STRUCTURES !
Our one piece fibreglass roofs are styled to highlight your O.E.M Slingshot. From the two raised roof sections allowing more helmet room , mimicking your O.E.M. hood scoops , to the rear vertical fin matching your rear tail cone. This roof compliments the styling of your Slingshot body lines !
And self supporting too ! Only by utilizing a welded steel structure, encompassing a wedge fit, between your existing two roll bar hoops, can only two small 45 degree braces in the cockpit, rolling inward and upward, provide both the vertical and lateral support required. Unobstructed vision, No downtubes required !
Watch our website www.ssbodykits.com for Maggie Valley sale prices later this week . 20170429_102140.jpg 20170429_102226_resized.jpg 20170429_102259_resized.jpg 20170429_102140.jpg

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had posted the roof concept plans for the new roofs we will have done and available for Maggie Valley a couple weeks ago, and since had promised pictures of the finalized plug design. We will now be moving forward to perfecting the rough body work and begin production mold construction this week, as finally the weather has allowed us enough breaks to get in the high speed testing, confirming our desired deck angles etc. I can hardly wait to get finished product available on my demo so you can test drive for yourself. The Sling now sticks to the road like glue with the proper deck angles, not till about 80 mph does the wing (roof) start to go aerodynamically neutral enough to stop producing down thrust, but not enough to start producing lift, as of course this lift would be undesirable at high speeds lol. You can see the four inch bolts through the leading edge which we used to allow raising up of roof above its frame , shimming our way up as we went through all speed realms. Then to confirm our suspicions we got real high tech here ,I found about ten or fifteen pounds of down pressure being applied to my four finger tips when using them as those high tech shims , until such time as we would start exceeding 80 mph at which time the down force pinching my fingers would decrease by about 50% but not continue decreasing significantly as speed continued to increase . Which confirmed our design objectives , the roof must not be aerodynamically capable of generating lift at high speeds nor should it generate too much down thrust , simply lowering the leading edge would create a roof that continued to increase down thrust and consequently increasing drag as speeds picked up. Hence the design criteria of an almost aerodynamically neutral roof (wing), always generating some down force , but decreasing at high speeds so as not to create too much drag.
View attachment 120185 View attachment 120193 View attachment 120201 View attachment 120209

And this would have all been available to you a few days ago but I Just couldn't leave well enough alone ! the new roof look just begged for an aerodynamically correct windshield, and possibly a fully enclosed one, So I spent a few days plugging up a new windshield mounting base, an arched one, to significantly reduce the equivalent flat plate area. At ww.ssbodykits.com we're all about improving Slingshot aerodynamics by decreasing induced drag, thereby improving efficiencies.
Another benefit to one arched windshield base is it allows for any height or shape of poly carbonate to be cut, as it doesn't require cast or heat formed corners. Therefore the customer can choose his shape and desired height and we'll cut it for him ! And yes the windshields will be available separate from the need for a roof .
I could use some suggestions here as to what height above the dash pods to terminate a few different model windshields at ? I just read a todays post where @EjFord @misterz and @speshee were discussing new windshields, any suggestions ?

Also please remember, "rough bondo stage," and ignore those mahogany slabs on dash pods, the black marker lines indicate a small half inch base flange that will rest on the pods and be two sided taped to prevent vibration. And if you look closely that arch did start life as my factory blade windshield using its bottom one inch and mounting flanges.

View attachment 120217 View attachment 120225 View attachment 120233 View attachment 120241

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coming Soon, custom height or fully enclosed
Our new arched windshield base is now being molded up from the prototype shown below . The new aerodynamically correct base uses the same mounting holes and flanges as your O.E.M. windshield then extends back over your dash pods giving 10 % more recline and also arches right to left to allow for sweeping that airflow outboard and around the cockpit. With this one custom base, the customer can choose his desired windshield height and we'll cut it to order!
Garanteed, the calmest cockpit of any windshield of similar height, at any height !
Consequently, FULLY ENCLOSED windshields are now available , using this base and our new roofs , as a top windshield flange is also currently being molded up for, allowing the windshield to flange into the underside of the new roof.
Watch our website www.ssbodykits.com for Maggie Valley sale prices later this week
20170417_142258_resized.jpg 20170417_142258_resized.jpg 20170422_190353_resized.jpg 20170417_165743_resized.jpg
. 20170422_190325_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
View attachment 122561 FIBREGLASS ROOF, SELF SUPPORTING STEEL STRUCTURES !
Our one piece fibreglass roofs are styled to highlight your O.E.M Slingshot. From the two raised roof sections allowing more helmet room , mimicking your O.E.M. hood scoops , to the rear vertical fin matching your rear tail cone. This roof compliments the styling of your Slingshot body lines !
And self supporting too ! Only by utilizing a welded steel structure, encompassing a wedge fit, between your existing two roll bar hoops, can only two small 45 degree braces in the cockpit, rolling inward and upward, provide both the vertical and lateral support required. Unobstructed vision, No downtubes required !
Watch our website www.ssbodykits.com for Maggie Valley sale prices later this week . View attachment 122553 View attachment 122529 View attachment 122537 View attachment 122553
How Much? I really like it!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much are the bags & mounting hardware ?
View attachment 122753

....................................... tom n carol
Sorry for the late posting but I have been awaiting anxiously the availability and pricing from Givi for the vertical brackets used by Campagna Motors, T-Rex , to accommodate our new V47 and V46 cases. These brackets are now available to us and will be incorporated into our welded brackets. the brackets will be black powdercoated and still allow of quick detachment, so that with a click of a button,your packed cases can be carried into your motel room with you. the price of the system including cases will be $1,495.00 delivered to all travelled portions of the lower 48 and ten Canadian Provinces. All prices are quoted U.S. dollars and as we are a Canadian manufacturer H.S.T taxes are extra to our Canadian customers . However U.S. customers can purchase tax free (as Canadians companies cannot collect U.S. taxes) and all import duties are paid by us included with free delivery.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Jay2thaC , Thank you, the Roofs will retail for $1,995.00,complete (delivered) with self supporting bracketry, this makes them the best priced fibreglass, solid top on the market, at tube and fabric prices! Other people have inquired as well regarding pics of the supporting steel structure so here is that response.

20170429_102328_resized.jpg
20170429_102152.jpg
20170429_102315_resized.jpg
@Neosolidus if you can zoom in on photos you will see a three inch channel wedge fitted down onto the inside rails of your existing roll hoops. The 2 inch spreader beam is welded to these and can be raised for guys over 6 ft 2 inch. I deliberately didnt show underside of that prototype ròof as the bracketry is just that.prototype. The productuon versions will come with a plasma cut 3 inch bent channel, that can be press braked at angles to accommodate tapering roll hoops.With a rubber liner to prevent scuffing. By pulling two thru bolts clamping the channels onto hoops the roofs can be removed or installed by simply lifting entire deck straight up .Two 5/8 inch diagonals are welded from bottom of forward face of 3 inch channels inward and upward on approx 45 degree angles to support forward 1 inch beams both laterally and vertically. The entire fibreglass deck rest upon these beams . Actuall photos of entire steel structure will be available next week

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you have pics with the top raised up to max?
Maybe a comparison pic of low and raised?
Will this roof work with the alpha wing?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Sorry for the late posting but I have been awaiting anxiously the availability and pricing from Givi for the vertical brackets used by Campagna Motors, T-Rex , to accommodate our new V47 and V46 cases. These brackets are now available to us and will be incorporated into our welded brackets. the brackets will be black powdercoated and still allow of quick detachment, so that with a click of a button,your packed cases can be carried into your motel room with you. the price of the system including cases will be $1,495.00 delivered to all travelled portions of the lower 48 and ten Canadian Provinces. All prices are quoted U.S. dollars and as we are a Canadian manufacturer H.S.T taxes are extra to our Canadian customers . However U.S. customers can purchase tax free (as Canadians companies cannot collect U.S. taxes) and all import duties are paid by us included with free delivery.
Thank You 2.jpg

could you post pictures of just the bags mounted on a SllingShot
.................................................. tom n carol

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have pics with the top raised up to max?
Maybe a comparison pic of low and raised?
Will this roof work with the alpha wing?
The spreader bar welded across the wedge fitted c channels could be raised anywhere up to 2.5 inches higher than shown, at customers discretion , sorry no photos of one raised yet ,as we literally just completed all the plug development work and production molds are now being completed. not sure what your asking about the wing ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 123329

could you post pictures of just the bags mounted on a SllingShot
.................................................. tom n carol
Yes will do hopefully this weekend , have to take time to remove all the rest of the rear end kit being the fibreglass parts, it is possible without them we could shorten the bracketry, getting the bags maybe two inches closer to the tub without them there, this of course would require a shorter welding jig fixture ,Damn. lol Sorry been swamped getting the new roof and windshield mods done.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anybody know of someone good with Photoshop that would like to help out ? FOR INSTANCE, I would like a pic of my rear ends on a sling that has original O.E.M front end , not like my demo , then one with my roofs on an O.E.M unit, etc

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Yes will do hopefully this weekend , have to take time to remove all the rest of the rear end kit being the fibreglass parts, it is possible without them we could shorten the bracketry, getting the bags maybe two inches closer to the tub without them there, this of course would require a shorter welding jig fixture ,Damn. lol Sorry been swamped getting the new roof and windshield mods done.
Keep up the Great-Work
we are looking forward to your Photos
the bags would be a great addition for storage and we think that they would look swell, even without your body-kit

.............................................. tom n carol

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much are the bags & mounting hardware ?
View attachment 122753

....................................... tom n carol
HI tom n carol here are the photos of the bags with my fibreglass quarter panels removed , so you can better envision them on a Sling without a body kit, Due to popular demand I now have them listed separately on my site as a luggage Kit, it will include all the bracketry powdercoated. The fibreglass and bags is now listed as a Rear End Kit. The photos shown here have a litle more room between the rear of the tub and the bags as those brackets were designed to accommodate the fibreglass quarter panels, Therefore if anybody wants to purchase them separately We will shorten the arms to get the bags 2.5 inches closer to the tub . also PLEASE NOTE, the bags shown are the Blade Monolock cases from Givi the luggage kit now includes the Monokey System with the V47 cases shown above , or V46 , purchaers choice. 20170507_145701_resized.jpg 20170507_151322_resized.jpg 20170507_145454_resized.jpg
20170507_145701_resized.jpg
20170507_151322_resized.jpg
20170507_145454_resized.jpg
20170507_145738_resized.jpg

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
HI tom n carol here are the photos of the bags with my fibreglass quarter panels removed , so you can better envision them on a Sling without a body kit, Due to popular demand I now have them listed separately on my site as a luggage Kit, it will include all the bracketry powdercoated. The fibreglass and bags is now listed as a Rear End Kit. The photos shown here have a litle more room between the rear of the tub and the bags as those brackets were designed to accommodate the fibreglass quarter panels, Therefore if anybody wants to purchase them separately We will shorten the arms to get the bags 2.5 inches closer to the tub . also PLEASE NOTE, the bags shown are the Blade Monolock cases from Givi the luggage kit now includes the Monokey System with the V47 cases shown above , or V46 , purchaers choice. View attachment 124601 View attachment 124609 View attachment 124617 View attachment 124601 View attachment 124609 View attachment 124617 View attachment 124625
Thank-You
awesome - they look great-
academy-award.jpg

................................................ tom n carol

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
KEV
Questions

1 - with the bags mounted as in the posted figures, wide space brackets- can the rear tire be removed with the brackets in place?

2 - if the brackets shortened 2.5 inches - does it make it more space for the rear wheel to come off ?

3 - if the brackets for the bags have to come off to remove the rear tire - it that a simple task, or does one need to have tools in the event of a flat rear tire ?

question.gif

.............................................. tom n carol

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Another Question
Givi describes volume as "lt"
what does lt mean ?
Liters ?
one is 46 lt and the other is 47lt

..................................... tom n carol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts