Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Not to be nosy, but what made you leave the Slingshot world?
I enjoyed the Slingshot for 5 years, and had two different models. We did just about everything you can do with a Slingshot. Gail enjoyed it also. We then decided we were ready to move to our other big love and that is camping in our RV. We own a RV and for 15 years owned a lot just north of Cleveland, Paradise Valley Campground. When up there each year from May through Oct and enjoyed the wonderful roads and back road cafes and places to eat. We sold the Lot and our Slingshot to put our time in to RV life on the move and have our Jeep as our get around vehicle.
I still encourage people to get into the Slingshot, and enjoy the fun. Like anything time will make changes sometimes and your follow the directions. Just pursuing other interest now, thanks for following my Threads.

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
57 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply.
I noticed in one of your videos where you were referencing Cleveland. I assume you had a lot there.
We are (were) campers. Lost interest when the kids grew up. Like I said before, North Ga. is our backyard. Our daughter went to school at North (Dahlonega). Personally, I would not live anywhere else.

We are excited to pick up our new toy tomorrow. Again, thanks for your compendium. They are informative and amusing. Polaris owes you!

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Thanks very much for your reply.
I noticed in one of your videos where you were referencing Cleveland. I assume you had a lot there.
We are (were) campers. Lost interest when the kids grew up. Like I said before, North Ga. is our backyard. Our daughter went to school at North (Dahlonega). Personally, I would not live anywhere else.

We are excited to pick up our new toy tomorrow. Again, thanks for your compendium. They are informative and amusing. Polaris owes you!
SpringerRider, I wish you and your wife many fun rides in the Northeast Georgia Mountains. I still plan on going up in Oct to camp in our RV, maybe at Unicoi if we can get in. Will give you a shout to come by for a fires side chat and see how the Slingshot is doing for you. I know the excitement you have right now, I had the same two times. If you can please try to capture picking it up, maybe you can get the sales guy to do it. I did my first pick up and ride. Here it is, you may have seen it. Maybe a photo at lease and post here, we would all like to see it if it is not too personal.
I am so happy for you, you are now Slingshot Family!!
Our First Ride from Picking up Slingshot

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
As you look at the Slingshot for your next purchase, I will show you some things of interest that you may not have thought of. At some point you may need to go under the Slingshot, adding insulation to the floorboard is one major project. My video will introduce some ideas of how to safely get the Slingshot up off the ground and go under.

This is the way I have worked on my underneath the Slingshot and has been great and I do not worry for my safety. Please, use wheel chocks always.

How to safely work under the Slingshot

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
57 Posts
We have the 2020R manual. We road all day yesterday up through north ga. Sherry says the flood never heated up at all. Ambient temp in the mid-80s. I think they corrected the problem.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
We have the 2020R manual. We road all day yesterday up through north ga. Sherry says the flood never heated up at all. Ambient temp in the mid-80s. I think they corrected the problem.
@SpringerRider if you look at the first year models, there was no heat shields like they installed in 2017. I am sure they would make 2020 much better with the floorboard heat issue. Very happy for you and you and Sherry share some photos of your adventures on some of the Post photos threads for all to see. I am going to post some of my ride links for Georgia Roads that i have enjoyed, I am sure you know them well. I show the starting point for some at Helen, Ga for some of the Groups I had to come up from Florida. See how many you know. There is a link to the Subject and ride route.

Places to ride in Northeast Georgia Mountains

Here is a list of Places, Restaurants, and Ride Maps

1. Mercier Orchards Blue Ridge, Ga.
Ride Map

1. Jims Smokin Que Blairsville, Ga.
Ride Map

1. Brasstown Bald Highest Point in Georgia Blairsville, Ga.
Ride Map

1. Toccoa Riverside Restaurant Blue Ridge, Ga.
Ride Map

1. Chevelle 66 Restaurant Murphy, Nc.
Ride Map

1. Chevelle 69 Restaurant Hayesville, Nc.
Ride Map

1. Nantahala Outdoor Center Bryson City, Nc.
Ride Map

1. Dry Falls Highlands, Nc.
Ride Map

1. Tallulah Gorge Loop Trail Tallulah Falls, Ga.
Ride Map

1. Dukes Creek Fall Helen, Ga.
Ride Map

1. Anna Ruby Falls Helen, Ga.
Ride Map

1. Cherohala Skyway Drive Tellico Plains, Tn.
Ride Map

Ride Map

16 Biker Barn North Georgia Mountains

The Gaunlet Ride

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
I know there are folks that are looking at the Slingshot, but are wondering, What is the future of Polaris Slingshot. As you know we are at a Pandemic period with Covid-19 and it's effect on all of us, the economy, and our jobs. The Slingshot is at a point where it is not exceeding the sales of the previous year. Sales have declined in the past years. The 2020 Polaris Slingshot has some very big changes that may attract a new interest to a larger group of folks. It has a brand new motor and and option for an "Autodrive" Transmission. Autodrive means it is not a standard car type transmission. The Autodrive does not have a torque converter as the cars have. This will give a lot of folks that have declined getting a Slingshot due to not knowing how to drive a manual shift Slingshot. This will be a big part of how well the Slingshot does going forward. All of the Old guys, like myself, have found the Slingshot a true symbol of freedom with a higher degree of safety over a two wheeled motorcycle. It is more fun when you engage in group rides with other Slingshot Owners.
To help you see the direction the Polaris Slingshot is going, you should look at Polaris quarterly Reports. The Slingshot is grouped with the Motorcycle Class along with Indian. I am giving a link to the Polaris 1st Qtr Report to review the Class results. I will let you find the Reports for the future.
Now, I am giving you information that will help you for this area of how Polaris Slingshot is performing for Sales. For any big decision you are looking to make, you need all the info you can find. My thread I try to provide that for you.
The Slingshot a fun vehicle that is built for fun and not your only vehicle. Most group rides are on the weekends, so if you work the weekends, you may be riding by yourself, unless you find a group of retired Slingshot Owners. So you need to evaluate your age bracket and what kind of riding time you will be able to do. I can tell you now, you will have the most fun riding with others and not just alone. You should be joining our Slingshotforums.com and start asking questions, reviewing threads of interest and seeing just how the Slingshot would fit you life style and needs. It is not for everyone.
You should not buy a Slingshot and then figure out how you will use it. It is something that is not really necessary, you have to just want to enjoy riding in an exciting performance machine.
I will leave you with this, I owned two Slingshots, a 2015 and 2017 models at different times. I enjoyed them both and enjoyed the many group rides and National Slingshot Events held each year. After 5 years, I have reached all the fun elements and ready to move on with our Life in our RV. I still endorse the Polaris Slingshot as the most exciting machine I have ever owned. As a rule you will loose $10K after 2 to 3 years and want to sell. Worth every penny and I did it twice. Now if this does not destroy your budget and you review all the info available, and do you have the weekend time to enjoy it with others, it is for you.

View page 3 for Motorcycles to see Sales and profits
Polaris 2020 1st Quarter Earnings Report

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
One of our newer members posted a thread on question about tire pressure. I am posting a link to the thread to demonstrate how members can seek help and receive many suggestions for answers. So join our forum and you can ask questions. You will find this forum is very helpful sharing information to the new Slingshot Owners.

Tire pressure questions

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
New owner just took possession of his new 2019 Slingshot and right off the bat, dead battery. This is a new threaqd by a new member and wants to know how to deal with it. Being new, it is hard to find a starting point. Well, that is what our forum is all about. Helping our new owners and the folks looking at the Slingshot for possible ownership. It cost you a lot of time and frustration to take your Slingshot to the dealer over every little thing. There are a lot of us veteran Slingshot owners that have been where you are trying to get. We have experience everything you will encounter and have found solutions. We are all committed to helping share that knowledge. So you let us help you when you have questions, we may save you from that 50 to 100 mile trip to the dealer and leave it for a week. Now I want to share our new owners @G & K Slingers New Thread and let you see how we interact with a new owners needs.

New Slingshot and battery troubles

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Here is something of interest for the new owners. The ESP , Electronic Stability Program. As you begin your driving experience, you will want to test some of the limits of the Slingshot. The more aggressive you drive with quick acceceloration and hard braking, you will at some time encounter a condition that causes the ESP to take control action. This system monitors all of the Wheel sensors to determine how well the Slingshot is performing in a controlled manner. There are a number of Sensors that help feed information the ESP system to evaluate if intervention is needed. The ESP will use the braking system to apply the proper control to control the condition. The Steering wheel position has a sensor also, that tells the ESP system where you are intending to drive. This is a program so it can not be fully explained at our level. Just keep in mind that this system is not fully functional when you encounter water on the highway. Hydroplaning is a condition that is not controllable, in fact, the ESP system can generate the wrong controls for braking. The short answer to all this is to slow way down when in wet road conditions and avoid deep puddles of water in the road. The Slingshot can do a 180 turn if encounter at hwy speeds. So, don't drive in the rain or if you must, use extreme caution.
Now I come to another area of this post. There have been postings on this forum of folks getting the ESP light to come on and also an error code. I have a picture showing the ESP Intervention light and the explanation of what it means.
If it stays on, there is a problem with the system and you should have dealer to check it.
I am going to link a few Threads that have discussions about ESP condition for you to review as part of your knowledge base.

ESP Intervention Light Thread Post
How does ESP feel when active?
ESP Light and Brake system
ESP effects when things go wrong

This will give some of the Threads that have been created on this forum about this issue. See if it helps you understand and broaden your Knowledge Toolbox.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
When you purchase the 2015 through 2016 models with the stock seats, Passenger comfort may be an issue for some passengers. My passenger, Gail, told me that the top part of her seat caused her helmet to tilt her head forward to an uncomfortable position. The passenger seat can not be moved forward to allow the back to recline to a more comfortable position. She went to work on her own to come up with a way she could enjoy the ride. We created a video for her to introduce her idea to your passenger.

Passenger Seat Comfort Idea

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
"Take it to the Dealer for that". New owners, I know you do not come to a forum to hear just a quick statement like that as an answer for a issue you may have. New owners can purchase a used Slingshot from a Private Owner or Dealer and the battery may become dead after you have it for a short time period. As a new owner, you may not even know where the battery is located and if you did, not know what to do about the problem. This is where our Forum comes in, to help guide you as to what to do first. First, if you have no experience with anything electrical but plugging in a cell phone charger. You may want to take it to a dealer right off the bat as you do not possess the necessary safe working knowledge to begin and I will address that in another thread, so stay tuned. Now for the new owners that have some knowledge about DC voltage and battery connections, we can give you a great deal of starting points to determine what is the problem. The first thing you need to do with a dead battery is charge it. This can be the first challenge. Where is the battery, behind the driver seat behind a cover. The owners manual has a section on Battery Maintenance and I have a video that shows you how to do this task. Link posted below. The early Slingshot batteries had the Pos Terminal to the outside for easy access. Then later models they turned the batter with the Pos terminal to the inside where you can not reach it. You can not easily charge the battery with a charger connection without taking the battery loose. You want to install a Under the Hood Jump Port that will give you access to the battery for emergency starts or charging. Now some of the later models do that a connector that you can connect a trickle Charger. Due to the placement of the Battery, your first priority is to get a jump port installed to allow for emergency battery access. This can really mess up a nice day our on the road with a dead battery. Plan for it, get some insurance Yes, I have a video on how to install the Under the Hood Jump Port Installation, will be posted below.
For the folks that have a dead battery condition, here is what you need to do first. It is a fact that battery terminals are not always as tight as necessary and the problem does not show up until latter in ownership. Check the battery terminal Connections for a tight connection. To do this, you have to remove the battery access cover, (my video) then remove the battery hold down bolt to allow the battery to slight out for access to the Pos and Neg terminals.
Do not do this if you do not know that a wrench that is on a positive battery terminal and comes into contact with the metal frame will cause great sparks and can destroy the battery along with present a safety to your eyes from the welding effect at the contact point. You need help with this area of the Slingshot.
For the new owners that are familiar, grab each terminal and twist, you should not be able to move the terminals with a good twist motion, if you can, you have a loose terminal. Before you tighten the terminal, the next step is to examine the bat terminal and the terminal connector for corrosion. My video will show this clearly, so will not go farther with a lengthy explanation. If you find it has corrosion, you will need to clean bother items for each terminal. Then reconnect with a good tightening so terminals can not move. A lot of battery issues can be solved with these steps.
Now you will have access to attach the clips from your charger to the neg and pos battery terminals to fully charge the battery. A fully charged good battery will read from 12.7 to 12.8 volts. As a battery ages, this reading will head downward until you will have starting problems. The level you want to start looking at getting a new battery is 12.3 volts or below, when you check the charged battery voltage after a overnight time.
Now that you have the battery charged fully and the terminals inspected and cleaned and connections tightened fully, park the Slingshot overnight and check the battery voltage the next day for the fully charge of what it read the day before. If it were 12.7 volts, it should be 12.7 or could be 12.6 volts, you have a good battery and connections.
The last test is how well the alternator is charging your battery. Start the engine and connect your volt meter to the positive battery terminal and the other meter lead to neg terminal. The voltage should read 13.6 volts or there about. This indicates you are able to fully charge the battery from the Slingshot Charging system.
To summarize, Battery problems are often caused by loose connections at the battery terminal or contaminates on the terminals.
By have a Knowledge toolbox, you will keep from taking lengthy trips to the dealer for issues that you can solve and enjoy knowing a lot more about your Slingshot. It is best to have an idea of what is wrong before you have to take it in to the dealer. Now it can be that if the Slingshot you just purchased is 3 years old, the battery was at the end of it's life, as batteries only last 3 to 4 years for dependable service.
Now, if you buy a used vehicle from a dealer and the battery can not be charged from the outlined steps above, you can insist on them giving you a new battery as that is not acceptable for a fully working slingshot.
The point I am making, is that with the knowledge of what to check you know a lot more about the battery for future maintenance times. Good Luck and take a look at my youtube channel for many help video for the Slingshots.

Here, I have posted some video that may be of aid to understanding how to gain access and checking the battery connections. Good Luck!

Battery Maintenance
How to access and check battery
Checking Fuses and a place to check voltage

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
For the guest that come to our Slingshotforums site, I have created a tutorial to give some basics of how to get the most out of your visit. You may be looking at the Slingshot for a near future purchase and want to explore what will help push you over the line to make a deal. My three threads are devoted to giving you many video and how-to subjects along with basic information about the Slingshot and it's features. I have a full index at the beginning of thread that you can view to see what may be of interest to you.
Now I come to the subject of this post. Slingshotforums Basics to help navigate the website to find information of interest. In the video I give screen views and demonstrate how to get the most out of Searching for the subjects information you seek. This is designed to help the many folks that do not have a lot of computer skills, so it is very detailed with explanation. Good luck on finding what you are seeking of Slingshot Information.

Slingshotforums Basics Tutorial

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
For the new owners that purchase the 2015 or 2016 model Slingshots, this mod I came up with will work well for the Air Vent Duct system I came up with to introduce cooler air from outside into the floorboards of the cockpit. You will find it gets quite hot in the Passenger side. This will help along with sealing any holes in the firewall area. One other thing is adding insulation to the firewall and underneath area of the floorboard area. You can find my videos on accomplishing this mod also. Try this first as an easy mod. Then investigate my floorboard insulation videos.

Air Vents System for Slingshot

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
One thing a new Slingshot owner that wants to perform their own maintenance and learn how to trouble shoot the system problems or mods to install, a Slingshot Service Manual will be one of your first things to investigate. There is so much information that will help you get the details to really work on the Slingshot yourself. The Owners manuals do have a lot of what you need to know and a lot of explanations, but will not give all the info to handled in depth help.
A new Manual can cost $160, but if you search the webs and forums you may find one for a lot less. One big thing is you have a wiring diagram for the Slingshot. You need a magnifying lens to read some of the detail. You will still be able to get lead colors and see how things are connected. You also get the Engine Check codes and what they mean.
For just basic maintenance and you take it to the dealer for all you work, you will not need a Service Manual, the Owners manual would work well for you.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Some the new Slingshot Owners will be purchasing Slingshots with some miles on them. Here is one Maintenance Item that will be necessary when you get to 50,000 miles of driving. Coolant Change period. Don't worry, I cover the procedure in my video designed to give you very detailed information for the novice tech. If your Slingshot is not at this point yet, just place in your Slingshot Knowledge Toolbox for later.

Slingshot Coolant Change Procedure Ecotec Engine

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I think most owners will agree that the Slingshot Hood Closing and Opening is the one weak area of the Slingshot. Most owners find out real quick that Closing the Hood will find latches at the rear not both latching all the time or when trying to open the hood, you find it will not come up and only after several hard shaking pulls. I have found that a lot of the problem is from hood alignment. This video I have made is created from two other video I have made in the past that were made from Installing the Expended Range Hood Hinge. The other was one I showed how to adjust the space at the back of the hood and fender area. At the time I had not discovered the alignment problem. This new video I narrate the video with details of what to look for and how to make the rear latches alignment with hood alignment adjustments. Watch the whole video to learn all about it.

Slingshot Hood Rear Latches Alignment Procedure

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Sometime you may want to see how some of the Slingshot Parts go together or want to look up a Part. Here is a link that will give you access to the OEM Polaris Slingshot Parts Catalog. You can learn a lot by looking up your year and model and click on Find Part. You will get an assembly list. Just chose the assembly that contains your area of interest. You may have to look at a couple to find the part of interest. This should keep you busy and interested for an evening and go away with quite a bit better knowledge of how things go together. This is part of your knowledge toolbox for the Slingshot.

OEM Slingshot Parts Find

Example view of website, click link above to go there.

When you have selected a Year and Model and click Find Part, this is the Assembly List you will select to go to the area that will show your part and how they are connected in exploded view. You can also get part number and other information.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
For the folks looking at the 2020 Slingshot for your next purchase. The Slingshot is an exciting performance vehicle. It has a great power to weight ration, 10 to 1. 1750 lbs and 175 HP. This means that to enjoy the full range of what the Slingshot can perform and within your skill levels, the Manual Shift transmission option will deliver best. The Slingshot is idea for curvy roads like in mountains. You get an elevated level of control and connection with the Slingshot as you can hold gears for the full power range and shift exactly when you need to give the ideal transfer of power for the road condition.
Now I know this is not what all riders want, some just want to drive in a conservative nature and enjoy observing the site as you drive. If this is what you want the Slingshot as your driving needs, then by all means the Autodrive may be just right for you. Especially if you have never driven a manual shift. It does take some learning, but not hard to learn.
For the person that wants the Slingshot and experience the full range of excitement, you will want the manual shift model. I want to invite you to view my fun ride in the northeast Georgia Mountains on a road called Warwoman Road.
As you will see, I can stay in a gear that is idea for the road conditions and you will find 3rd gear is idea when you have a lot of close curves. You can not do this with an autodrive Slingshot model. Plus you will loose an element of hearing the engine give the revs to sound out the power. You have to drive it to feel what I mean. I do not think the Autodrive model 2020 Slingshot will be able to deliver that total control you can achieve with a manual shift.
I am riding with a friend who is behind me. You will find I meet my limits at several cures and you will hear tire squeal. I do not recommend anyone drive passed their limits.
Your limits are when fear and tire squeal starts entering your driving experience. As you will notice in the rear view mirror, my friend was right on my tail, he has a higher level and could go faster.
This was a very exciting ride and was a lot of fun to have the control of the gears. Just keep you goal of what you want in a driving experience as you make your choices. Our forum is here to help you by giving our experience and knowledge.
Buckle up and let's take my Fun Ride on Warwoman road.

Fun Ride on Warwoman Road Video

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I posted a post about loading the trailer on my other thread. You can find it on the Contents at the beginning of the thread. I would like to point out unloading the Slingshot and the use of ramps to give a better angle to keep from scraping the bottom of the Slingshot Spoiler and possibly causing damage. I go into detail of showing how the ramps have catches to lock them in place at the end of the ramp to keep from kicking out as you try to load the Slingshot. I had an owner to write me a note about how I saved him a lot of money with my video. He was going to have his Slingshot raised to get more clearance to load and unload the Slingshot. He watched this video and thanked him for saving him from what he was planning. Now a lot of people may not even think of using ramps to gain the clearance, so I think it is important for me to make a special attempt to inform folks of what is needed to gain clearance for loading your Slingshot.

Race Ramps to gain clearance for trailer loading.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts