Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
You should, always ask your passenger for information about their comfort with heat issues. The Slingshot has an issue with giving the passenger some discomfort in this department. Reason is the the Hot Exhaust gases come out on the Passenger side and are channeled under the floor board on that side. The Passenger Side Seat gets hot air coming from around the seat mounting supports area where it attaches to the floorboard. I got to checking this out and have found where the air can be coming from. The drain holes to allow water to drain out from rain or whatever are located in this area. I have installed some foam insulation around the seat post to seal off this air flow. also plugged the drain holes. I will keep this in mind if water is an issue later and remove plugs to drain. For now I am interested in Gail's comfort as she wants to come home quicker with all this heat. Florida Heat is bad and this is a real problem for her. I think this will take care of the issue. You may want to check with your passenger and have them place their hand down at the front seat mounting post and feel for hot air while you are at highway speeds. To seal the drain holes, I packed foam in them and covered them with a strip of insulation. The video will explain all of this. I did find another area along the floor to right of passenger seat that Gail found a lot of hot air. The video will explain.

Floorboard Heat solutions

Gail and I have been working hard to find all the leaks of hot air that are invading the Passenger side of Snazzy. The main heat is coming in on the right side near the front of the seat. I have putting strips of insulation along the area from the front of seat to the area where they the sides come to a V. Plugged holes at the seat supports front and back and we go for a test ride in this video. It made great improvements. We measured the temps in that area and we started at 89 degrees and the highest point towards noon got to 113 degrees. Temps go up in the high 90's. Gail says she is not getting the unbearable heat she was before I made changes. She is happy now. Get your passenger to help locate your areas of heat by feeling as Gail did along the right side of seat area for hot air. It would be best to view my previous video that shows all the areas of attention. Trial and error will lead you to a more comfortable ride for your passenger. One other thing, follow my video to show how I installed insulation under the floorboard. The heat issue for the Polaris Slingshot is a number of areas that hot exhaust heat can enter the floorboard area, directly and indirectly. So if you are tired of it, get to work and get your passenger to help. Also, check out our test of the new Silicone Hoses we are using for our "Sip and Ride" drink feature. We love it for quick easy drinks of our favorite beverages. The cup holders are in an impossible location for easy use, so we just leave our cups and drink from our Silicone hoses that the ends are inserted into our Cooler Cups. Watch the video, this is an update to previous video on these subjects.

Heat Test Ride and Sip N Ride Review

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Here is a look at the temperatures reached in the passenger side area at the right side of the seat on the floorboard. We took a 35 min trip and videoed the thermometer readings. Then we show the return home readings later in the day. The temps would be much higher if there were no floorboard insulation, floor mats and all holes plugged with insulation. We have discovered a new place that higher temp heat is able to invade the area. It is located just to the front of seat where the speaker mounts. I have packed the area with insulation now and think that will take care of the remaining heat issue. I believe we can live with the comfort level for Gail now. She is happy and willing to ride longer with less heat. If you have heat issues, you will have to work together to feel for heat and where it is coming in and insulate the area.
If your passenger complains of a heat issue coming from the floorboard area. Look at my video on the subject and let your passenger show you where the heat is coming from. You will need to find all areas where the side panels connect to the floorboard and pack with insulation. good luck!

Temperature Reading Test Ride for Floorboard

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
For the folks looking at buying a 2015 through 2017 models, be prepared for you passenger to let you know the Floorboard and firewall are very hot to the feet. I have several video on how to add floorboard insulation to the underneath and firewall. I have shown in the last two post about other areas that heat can enter the passenger cockpit. After Gail told me of all the areas she felt heat, I went to work and we did many test rides with her giving me feedback with results of what I had just done. We ended with here being very satisfied. Take our lead and explore your Slingshot heat issues and see if our video will help you solve your problems. Here is my full video playlist to look at in one location. Again Good Luck!

Floorboard Heat Issue Video Playlist

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
The Third Brake Light is located down the top of the rear Fin. It only comes on during braking. I was told by a rider behind me that my Third Brake Light was not coming on. My Slingshot was only about 3 months old and is under warranty, so why worry. Well time is my worry. If I drive 50 miles to the dealer and they find the problem is something has to be ordered, I am in a pickle for a return trip. This video was created to help isolate this problem to help save time and get you back on the road with the Third Brake Light working while the real trouble part is ordered. I have heard other reports of this problem, and it can go unnoticed, who goes back and look at their own tail lights with the brakes applied. Well you should do it, get someone to apply the brakes and check your tail lights fully for all working. Your safety is at stake and you may not have someone to tell you they are out. Some folks go the extra step to install an after market Third Brake Light Modulator to flash during braking. This will help with that process also. Now once the you follow this test and find your Third Light does not illuminate, you will know how to isolate the problem and notify the dealer of what part you suspect to be bad. In my case it was the FM Radio Antenna Module that was bad and I was able to drive safely until the part was available. I told the dealer what I did to isolate the problem and they were good with it and ordered the FM Antenna Module ahead of time. This is video on a 2017 model Slingshot.

Third Brake Light Troubleshooting

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
A little history break from show and tell post. I bought my 2015 Slingshot SL Feb 13, 20015. I produced a couple of video capturing our buying and pick-up periods. Gail and I were on top of the world with the look and feel of the Slingshot. We planned a trip to Oregon starting in May to take the Slingshot with us behind our RV. We had a State Park Volunteer Job lined up for two months near Portland, Or. That is another story for later, for now, let's get back to Feb and up to the point I will cover in this post.
Gail and I took Feb to ride and enjoy the Slingshot, and I wanted to find a site on the Internet to find folks that devoted time to the Slingshot as a forum. In March, 2015 I found the king daddy of Slingshot Forums, Slingshotforums.com
I am a video type guy and was going to capture video of just about everything for the Slingshot. I found my home thread to be Photos/Video thread to place all my video and share our experience with the Slingshot.
The Slingshot was new and as I found subjects to cover, I made video and posted there. That was my place to go and all members were eager for any help and photos and video could capture the subjects best in my opinion.
I am going to post a list of the threads from this Video Thread starting at the point I started posting threads on this website. You will find all my previous posting threads from the beginning starting Mar 2015, also the other threads for that time period.
I do this as part of your research for information to make your decision about purchasing a Polaris Slingshot. I may have a video that will help understand something you are looking for. Good luck,

Samowens44 Post on Photos/Video Thread

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
There may some folks that have not learned that there is a USB port located in the Glove box. This USB has an appearance on the menu of the Entertainment System and can be used to play your favorite music. The music should be on a Memory Stick or Thumb Drive. It has to be MP3 format. I give some suggestions on the video as to how you can get some music to store on your Mem drive. So don't wast your time downloading other formats as they will not work. If you have conversion software you could convert other files to MP3. I am providing information to get you started, a little research and you will enjoy your new way to listen to your favorite music.

Listen to Music through USB Port in Slingshot

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
This is a message I just received from someone that found my youtube channel and my video on how to test fuses on the Polaris Slingshot.

Michael Butler21 minutes ago
This video was a life saver. I have my neutrino fuse box ignition lead connected to my glove box cigarette lighter. It does not power on. It is because of the fuse blown. It does not appear blown, but it is. Your video caused me to check it with a meter.

I will share my Testing Fuses Video and maybe it will help someone that is just not familiar with anything about fuses. The fuse is a safety place to protect your circuits in the Slingshot. They are sized for the proper amount of current that should be flowing in a circuit. When a circuit draws more current than the fuse is rated for, it will blow out. This will interrupt the current to circuit and the device will not work. This can happen if you add other things to existing circuits. Like the example of Michael and his extra device on the Glove box power port. You should install an auxiliary fuse block if you want to add electrical circuits to the Slingshot.
It can also happen if you ground a circuit while working on it. So, watch the video and see how to find and check fuses to see if they are really good or bad. Oh, you do not need to remove the fuse, I show how to use the test point that are located on the fuse. I think this will be valuable info for a lot of new owners, don't get stranded by a blown fuse. Oh, get an extra supply of fuses to have on hand. The voltage in the Slingshot is all DC and will not hurt you if you touch it. Working around the Battery or Battery leads is the most dangerous due to the high current that can flow and cause great sparking. Also the Starter has the high current battery leads, so another place to be cautious. If you are working around the Starter, always remove battery lead for safety. Good Luck!

Testing Fuses on Slingshot

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
As you have just gotten your Slingshot, after a little while you will want to add some of the great lighting mods that are available. Some of the real popular models are the Switchback lights to add to the turn signal system of the Slingshot. Just want to warn you ahead of time that you can introduce problems into the operation of the stock turn signal system. Sometime you will end up with no turn signal flash or all will work but the emergency flash system. It is all because the Slingshot Stock Flasher Module is designed to work within a limited current range. As you introduce new light to flash with the stock lights, more current flows and in some cases this will shut down the Flasher Module as a problem. I have found a solution for this problem by adding a 100 ohm resistor. I explain it all in my Youtube Videos I will post my Youtube Playlist for the subject. Good Luck, before you attempt new mods, find out how others have to say about the subject, may save you a lot of grief.

Turn Signal Aux LED Lighting

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Most owners that will want to add electrical Mods will want to look at an Auxiliary Fuse Block Installation. There is one available that a lot of owners purchase and that is the FZ-1 Fuse Block, which comes with everything you need to install. It is in the $120 range for cost. It does have fuse positions for switched and non-switched power. That means, you have places to connect circuits that get power from the Ign Sw being in the on position. Other fuse positions are available for power all the time. This make this fuse box a real great idea. My video shows the connection of only one way to connect, non switched, power on all the time. Now you could add a relay to the system and get switched power option. Cost wise, my fuse block meets the need of the person cost conscious. I show connecting to my Jump Port connection for battery source power. Folks without the Jump Port will need to run their power wire to the positive battery lead at the back of the Slingshot. You should have a 30 Amp fuse a short distance from the Positive battery terminal connection to protect the long wire lead to the Aux Fuse Block. Do not just connect to the Pos Battery terminal.
Very important, I recommend disconnecting the Grd Battery Terminal while working with the fuse block installation. In my video I did the installation with hot power in the Slingshot. I mention many time to be careful working with live wires and using tools while working around live battery power. If you are unfamiliar with Batter voltage and ohms law, then disconnect the battery first. If you have to ask what is Ohms Law, maybe you should get someone to help you with this project. Remember never let a battery power lead to touch any metal parts on your Slingshot, this is called a short and will blow fuses and can cause other problems. The first video is to explain the Aux Fuse Box and to show how to make a mount for the fuse box. You can just go to Part 2 video for how to install if you like. Folks, I try to show all the detail and explain for our owners that just do not have a lot of experience working with tools, electrical circuits, connections, and safety issues around electric circuits, it is not meant for the experienced folks. Good Luck on your project.

Aux Fuse Block Explained and Make mount

Aux Fuse Block Installation

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
To the folks that will have to store their Slingshot out under the sky and no covered parking, a Slingshot Cover may be the answer to protecting your Slingshot. Now, here is where you will need to make some decisions about what will work for your Slingshot. All of the models from 2015 to 2017 without tops can use the Polaris Slingshot Cover made for trailering the Slingshot. It has draw cords to pull the cover down tight and underneath the Slingshot. It is truely a great cover and worked for me well for 5 years. I need to let you know, if you trailer your Slingshot, there is a correct way to install the cover that will keep it from coming off as you travel. If you are just covering the Slingshot for home use, you do not need to secure the straps all the time. If there is going to be strong winds, it would be advisable to strap it down. The wind can cause the buckles to slap the finish, not good. Watch the video and I show how I install the cover and store the cover for next uses. It makes the choir show easy if you follow my system of installing and uninstalling. Good Luck!

Slingshot cover Installation Procedure

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
There are a number of reasons why you will need to raise the Slingshot to accomplish some of the maintenance and of the Slingshot. First thing, if you have never raised any vehicle before, you need to seek someone to be with you helping to guide you. Your safety is most important and anyone that may be around the vehicle. If you are unfamiliar with jacks and wheel chock use, then you are not ready to work alone and need an experience person. You can watch my video and use it as a guide as the the type of jack and wheel chocks that work really well. I also mention how to place the jack position and the wheel chocks. The video I show is for the purpose of wheel and rim cleaning. You could jack the rear wheel up the way I show to check Drive Belt Alignment and Tension and make adjustments if needed. For these checks this is the way you need to raise the rear wheel off the ground to keep the drive belt in the drive line of normal travel.

Slingshot Wheel and Rim Cleaning made easy

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Just produced a new video to introduce the Jack I use to raise the Slingshot. I give details as to the safe use and how to place it at the rear swing arm. Any time you are using a Jack of any kind, please understand the limits and use of the tools you use. If unfamiliar, seek an experience person to help guide you. This video shows how to raise the rear swing arm up about 2 inches off the ground in order to check drive belt alignment and tension. As my previous post, it is also great to raise the slingshot this way to clean the rims and wheels. The jack is low and will fit under the front end to raise the front wheels for cleaning also.

Motorcycle Jack use on Slingshot.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
New Owners, you are used to your car giving you a audible signal sound when you turn signals are still activated after a slight turn and did not cancel. The Slingshot does not provide this sound alert. You will at sometime make a slight turn or lane change, requiring the turn signal activation. Well, it may not cancel on it's own and you could be in a very dangerous condition. I am guilty of driving with my blinker on a lot, until I engineered and installed my super bright LED turn signal monitor mod. I will just put the descriptive video here to let you see how it was done. There are Turn Signal monitor system online that you can purchase. I like to create my own and make it way I want to have it work and appear. And yes, it is easy on the pocket book. With any of my video, if you want more info about anything I have posted or my videos, please send me a message. I want to keep my thread without chatter if possible for all the folks that just want to read through my post.

Turn Signal Monitor Mod

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
For the new owners that want to see behind the front drive belt pulley cover, here is your chance to see it all uncovered. I also give a brief explanation about the belt tension adjustments. If you plan on doing a lot of your maintenance yourself, you should invest in a Slingshot Shop Manual, it will guide you and safe you a lot of money in the long run.
You can pay anywhere from $75 up to $160 for a brand new Manual. A Shop manual is really great for learning all the secrets hidden from the basic owners manual. Anyway, take a look at how the drive belt rides on the front pulley.

A descriptive look at the Drive Belt System

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The first thing you find out as you drive the Polaris Slingshot is how low it is. It is hard to judge the front end clearance to parking lot stops. We all hit them the first time we start driving. Backing into a space is the best option. You look cool in the parking lot also. Now when you hit enough things, you will need to adjust the spoiler as it is held in place by 4 bolts on both sides of the front end. Watch how to make adjustments to one side, it will be the same for the other side. You can make the adjustments yourself. I cover most things you will need to know about the Slingshot with videos, so keep check back frequently. Folks, I know we are in an unprecedented time with our pandemic, so Slingshot information may not be top on the list, but it will come back some day. This thread is for when things come back, I am trying to get ready for you.

Front Spoiler Alignment Adjustment Procedure

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
For the Slingshot Owners of Model years 2015 through 2019, you will find the cup holders in a location that makes it difficult to retrieve your drink cup as is frequently required on hot days of summer. Gail and I developed our Sip n Ride drinking system to make taking a refreshing drink little effort using our new Sip n Ride Drink straws. The video will tell and show everything about it. Show Time!!
Sip n Ride Cup Holder System

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
With owning a Slingshot comes some basic maintenance that you should learn to do. I am talking about checking the oil level on a regular basis and do it by the Owners Manual directions. I suggest you look at the section for Maintenance. You should be aware of what to check and how to check it. Checking the oil level with the dip stick on the Ecotec Gm engine requires you to perform it under certain conditions. Read the owners manual and take a look at my video to see how to do it properly.

How to check the Slingshot motor Oil Level

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Learn how to gain access to the Polaris Slingshot Flasher Module to connect aux Turn Signal Monitor LED's to keep from driving with Signals still flashing after a turn and no cancel of signals. One thing that is not shown is how the 100 ohm resistor is installed in the pos lead of the LED strips. You will need the 2 watt 100 ohm resistor in each leg of the two turn signal leads. Without them too much current will draw and the signals will only blink one time and quite. Let me know if you need more help. Watch the video to see how to gain access to the Flasher Module for the best location to connect your Aux LED strips shown in the video.

Turn Signal Flasher Module Information

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
At some point new owners may want to gain access to the rear tail lights and wiring that goes to them. This video will show you how easy it is to gain access. You can go a step farther and remove the rear sloping panel by removing a few push pins and 8 T40 screes along with some bolts at the bottom. Now you can do that special project maybe. Knowledge is something like tools, you may not need it now, but maybe in the future. Come back or better yet, join Slingshotforums and be able to comment about your needs or projects you want to do.

How to remove lower deck panel

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Folks, when you arrive at our forum website, there are many places to go and for new folks, where do I go first. Well, I am dedicated to giving out information to new owners. In my 5 years of owning 2 Slingshots I have created many video on most all basic subjects of the Slingshot systems. I have many threads on this website in a number of page locations. I am trying to make it easy to find my information on all the threads. I know you are looking for something when you come to this website. You don't want to waste a lot of time searching. I would like a chance to show what I provide on this website in Two Major Forums pages. Polaris Slingshot Discussions and Polaris Slingshot Problems and issues.
My two major threads are New Owners Slingshot Information and Samowens44 Video, Photos and Help
If you do not find the answer to your needs, I will be glad to find the answer for you.
I must say, this forum has many members that are just as eager as I am to help you gain the knowledge about the Slingshot. As a member you can post your question and you will get a lot of attention. My big thing is I have created video to show how to do most of the things that may be of interest.
You will find this Slingshot Forum website deals with Slingshot information as the main goal. Hope to see you as a member soon.
I will be posting helpful information and Links on my other Thread, both have links to each other. There is an table of content on each to help locating the information subject you are searching for. Good Luck!

Samowens44 Video, Photos and Help

61 - 80 of 106 Posts