Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fueling your car and other vehicle you own has not been a problem. The Slingshot has a slot in the fuel neck that if you are unaware can lead to splash back during fueling the Slingshot. I suggest you watch my video with a staged demonstration of just how to preform a perfect fueling process. Also, you will keep the gas from landing on the deck and looking like you don't know what you are doing. Also, do not over fill the tank, when you have a good steady fueling rate, stop when it shuts off. The tank is designed to have room for expansion. Sometime basic information can sound stupid to experience people, but to firs timers, it is valuable info. This video came about from a request of members for me to show how to fuel and not get splash back. I direct all of my video to the people with no experience or little experience, I know what you need. I have had splash back myself in the beginning. I also give you a tip for Gas Cap Security, a major issue for Slingshot Owners. I did change my application of the velcro to the full corner of the Hoop cover instead of in the center. Give more secure fit.

Fueling the Slingshot and Gas Cap Security
Really nice of you to share all this info..I'm sure there will be lots of folks that will enjoy and learn a lot from you're posts..thanks

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
For the new owners of Slingshots, Daytona Bike week starts this weekend. I live in Fla and have been to Bike week with my motorcycles and with my Slingshot. I want to show a list of some of my Daytona Bike week video. It is a lot of fun to ride "The Looop" and Main Street in Daytona Beach. I cover it all here. If you don't make this one, try next year.
I will place the links to all that I have below.

Daytona Ride on Beach St
Descriptive Ride Main Street Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach Slingshot ride
The Loop Ride at Daytona
Ride to Hidden Treasure Restaurant
Slingshot ride on Daytona Beach Main St

·
Registered
81 Posts
I lived in Kissimmee for 21 years. Yes, Bike Week is quite an experience. ESPECIALLY when is overlaps with Spring Break. You will see things on Speedway Blvd, and at the beach, that you will not believe.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Folks, if you are looking at the Slingshot for the first time, it is really a fun experience. We don't get the ah look as much now as in 2015 when they were new and no one had seen them. The 2020 models will determine where things go with the Polaris Slingshot. It has had 5 years of Manual Transmission that excluded a lot of folks that did not know how or want to learn to drive. Now they have opened up a new options. For the folks that want to just get in and drive like they are used to may open up new folks to the Slingshot. I hope so, as it is really a true adventure of excitement. Good luck on your choices.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ride Command is a great feature. Take the time to lean how to use it. It is not just a 15 min view of a set of instructions. You really need to study the Ride Command Operation manual and supporting documents in the Slingshot Owners Manual. I have not used Ride Command, I had a 2017 model and it only become available on the 2018 Model Slingshot. I will give you a few websites to get you started in your research.

The Ride Command Owners Manual 2018 - 2019 models. This will give details on the use.
.Ride Command Operation

This is a good website to get examples of several operations of the Ride Command operation with maps.
The link is found under the Resource button. There is a lot of information on Polaris Website so review.
Plan map routes

Here is another good site to review, work a look at.
Plan, Ride and Share

The Device you will be using should be investigated as to if it will fully work with Ride Command. It states that not all devices will work. This will be important before you get too far into your investigation and purchase.

Take a look at these website links and also look at your Owners manual for your model and year Slingshot. There is a section on Ride Command. You have some work ahead, but will help with really mastering Ride Command. Good Luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks. I figured as much, but I knew you would know for sure.
I got a Japanese motorcycle and a VW in 1966 and do my own maintenance, so I have more metric than SAE tools.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I touched on this subject of trailers previously but I wanted to address it with more details and video.
As a new Owner and you start thinking of traveling with your Slingshot, a trailer may come to mind. Now your first thought about the subject, what kind of trailer is best for the job. The shape of the Slingshot is different and a wheel in the middle. You may even think a tow dolly, a enclosed trailer, an open trailer, which type to chose. Cost is going to be a factor if you are stretched for funds. I will tell you my experience with selecting my trailer. I have an open trailer that is a style used by Lawn Service folks. I wanted a trailer I could walk around and quickly attach the tie down straps and have quick access to all elements on the trailer. I felt a enclosed trailer was too much cost for me and access for tie down was difficult when pulling the Slingshot straight into the trailer. There are now trailers on the market with access doors at the locations of the front wheels and a drivers entry door. These trailers are costly and I want a low budget model. The open Trailer. I have Race Ramps that I have a locking storage area in the front of trailer. We use these to give the clearance for loading the Slingshot. There are taller trailer ramps that fold and you will not need race ramps. Do some homework and you will find the right trailer and loading factor for you. Here is my selection for you to get an idea of how I accomplish my trailering options. The owners manual has the tie down locations recommended by Polaris. There are over the wheel tie down systems, they are expensive and do not hold the slingshot frame down. Here are a few video to show some of the factors about how I do my loading and unloading procedures.

Yourtube Video Link
Youtube Video Link
Youtube Video Link
I mounted a manual worm gear wench for loading when Slingshot is disabled.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
As you drive your new Slingshot out of the dealership and begin your adventure into the new world of "Slinging". Yes that is the term we use a lot for going for a ride. The dealership only puts in a gal or so of gas to do test rides and such. You will need to go to a Gas Station and get your first fill up. Here is the important thing you need to to know ahead of time. The front spoiler is only 5" clearance with the ground. If the gas station has a strong dip for the entrance, avoid those type stations or learn to approach the entrance at an angle of 45 degrees. The reason is if you hit the incline straight on and the incline is steep, you will scrub the bottom of your spoiler. This can do two things, destroy the alignment of the spoiler for one thing and mess up the bottom of spoiler or bend the support bar for spoiler. So always analyse entrances to restaurants, gas stations, and every where you need to enter off the main road. If you have LED systems mounted under the spoiler they can get damaged. Here is one more thing to avoid because of the low clearance of the front spoiler, parking stops at business locations. Also curbs that you have to park against. Take the time to view how close you can drive up and not hit the curb. Front LED lights will be destroyed. This is something you need to learn real quick before you cause damage. One other very important thing for the new owners to consider. Parking parallel to a curb. The stock rims stick out a little past the sidewalls of your tires, if you hit the curb, your rims will receive guaranteed damage. Avoid parking in these locations if at all possible. If you have to do it, have someone to help guide you to avoid hitting the curb. You will be sick at how it will mess up those beautiful rims. If you have custom rims. don't even think of parking parallel without a spotter. It is very hard to judge how close you are. Good Luck and enjoy that new Slingshot! Here is a video I produced to help if you need to park parallel to a curb. Angle parking may be an option. Practice it with someones help. The Slingshot Rims will get damaged if you hit the curb ever so slight. A lot of owners were not warned and suffered the consiquences. I am warning you and giving you an option for parking next to a curb. Avoid it if possible.

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
New owners, this is something you will wonder about and will not know the answer for sure. What to expect when it rains. I have experience with this subject as I first owned my first Slingshot in 2015. I had not had it long and it was Feb 13th that we picked it up. Around March I think, Gail and I had gone for a test ride to test our new Air Hose ducts we installed from the Fender area to the wheel well. We went from Gainesville, Fl down to Ocala area, had lunch and on our return trip we saw the clouds turning black. As we approach our Payne's Prairie area of South Gainesville, the bottom fell out. At the time I was traveling about 65 mph, close to the speed limit. The rain drops were big and my face was being pelted with painful hits, I began to slow, still the rain hit hard, my glasses started to fog, I had a hard time seeing. I slowed more, maybe to 45. At this point I was wiping my glasses trying to see the road. I have a shield that is part of my Scorpion Helmet that I deployed. After a short time that began to fog, I wiped constantly to try and see with a lot of difficulty. I found I had to pull over. At this point, it was very difficult to see the road and anything else. I will never drive in a heavy downpour again. There is too much water hitting you and your face. Be safe, when you see that there is a very heavy rain coming ahead. Just pull over and put your rain suit on, Gail has an umbrella stored by her that she can pull out and keep us out of the heavy rain while we wait it out. Folks, I have ridden motorcycles in heavy rains a lot and was able to duck down behind the windshield and keep my face clear somewhat. I found with my Slingshot I had no option like that. Plus the dangers of hydroplaning are big with puddles that can form in the road. The slingshot with 3 wheel relies on ESP Stabilization program to help maintain the Slingshot in a safe driving condition. The program does not work if you hydroplane. This advice is when there is a heavy rain, very light rain is OK to drive slowly with caution, you will just get wet.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
To all the folks that are looking at the Polaris Slingshot and would like all the information they can find to help with their decision about making a purchase. You may not be sure about what year you would like, color, accessories. When you buy a used Slingshot, you have a chance to get many choices of Slingshots with just about every option you can have. When you buy a brand new Slingshot, you start from ground zero.
Now to my point, I have had two Slingshots, my first a 2015 and then a 2017 model. I added my own mods in a lot of cases along with some accessories from some of the many Slingshot Accessories shops. Along the way, I made many video of how to install to help others. Along the 5 years I was into Slingshots I produced many video and help information on this website. I am going to make it easy to find my many post with this link of all my post. There may be something that will be of interest to you, just cruise through the 17 pages of my post and see what you find. Good luck on your choice of Slingshot, just getting one will put you in a new life style that will provide many years of excitement and fun for you and your passenger. Hope this Covid-19 Pandemic is over soon for all to enjoy their Slingshots.

Samowens44 Complete list of Postings

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I know there are a lot of folks looking at the Slingshot as a fun thing to drive, but find out in previous years to 2020 that all that was available was Manual Shift Transmissions. The 2020 Slingshot models offer an Automatic Transmission. The reason the previous models only had Manual Tranny available was for the weight would put it out of the Motorcycle Classification. This is the only Class the Slingshot could work with as it could not pass DOT standards for a true automobile. Well along comes 2020 and Polaris came up with their own Engine design and retired the GM Ecotec Engine. They also came up with a modified automatic transmission. It does not have a torque Converter like car Tranny. The main thing, they saved weight and were able to offer an Automatic for 2020. Now if you want the full performance and fun of driving a Slingshot, you will want to learn to drive a Stick Shift, Manual Transmission, model. The stick and clutch will give you the filling of total control and let you be part of the power and how it is directed to the wheel. Now for the folks that don't know the first thing about driving a stick shift, I have a 5 part video driving lesson series that will help you with learning to drive a stick shift. It is not hard and you can do it if you watch my video and can get access to a car with manual shift. There are just a few key tips I give you that will give you the confidence to do it. I know all can learn to drive the Slingshot and enjoy all the fun that comes with it. So don't go for that automatic, go for the stick and have all the fun available.

Learning to drive the Polaris Slingshot

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
All recalls do not affect all Slingshot, the Vin of your Slingshot will let you know what recalls have impact on your Slingshot. So that is why you want to enter your Vin into the Product Safety Recalls Link page of Polaris Slingshot. Here is the latest Recall that I have seen and let you see the details of the Recall. Our Forum has Threads that will discuss Recalls just search for them and keep up with what effects you. This is a Recall on Seat Belts for 2017-2018 If you you are not good with the internet and just want to know, does it affect me, call your dealer, they can let you know and schedule a time to get it looked out. To view the details of the Recall on Seat Belt Features click on the Plus Sign and it will open up, you will see what year and Slingshot Models affected. Mine is a SL LE and it is not listed and also when I checked my vin, I was unaffected.

Recalls
2017 Recalls Look up your vin or the vin of vehicle you plan to buy

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I created a video showing all the mods I did to my 2017 Midnight Cherry SL LE. It will show mods that can be bought from vendors online and some of my own ideas that I developed for my own use. As you are looking at the Polaris Slingshot this video will allow an opportunity to see what is possible to make your Slingshot very personal for you. I really enjoyed all of the features I installed. Take a look at what I did.

Polaris Slingshot Options for New Owners

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
On the models prior to the 2020 Slingshot models, the mode switch was located under the red Start button on the console. This button is very important for making changes to the display feature on the instrument panel.
New Owners, you may have just bought a new Slingshot, it may be used and come from Canada or some other country where the Odometer Display is in Metric. It could have been changed in error of trying to make other setting changes to the display. Here is how you can Change that display to the Standard setting or if you need, go to Metric. Check your Owners Manual for the Mode Switch Instructions and you will find this. By the way Polaris calls this a Multi-Function Display. This is important to know in that if you just get into the Slingshot Turn the key on and before the display has displayed anything displayed and you quickly depress the Mode switch to clear Trip A or B, you will enter the Change Display main settings for Standard or Metric. This may be why people are getting their settings messed up when they did not intend to change the Main Setting Standards. This is why they have you go through the special procedure of turning ignition off then on and quickly depress and hold Mode button. Now you know.

Mode Button Features Explained
Mode Button to change Metric to Standard

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
As you begin your journey into the wild world of Mods available for the Slingshot in the area of electrical requirement, battery life may become a problem. You may want to upgrade to the Optima Style Battery. This is what all the big dogs are going to for more battery life. When you look into this area you will also need to look at replacing the Battery mounting tray. You Slingshot model and year should be noted when purchasing the New Optima Battery Tray, they are a little different for different years. I have a video that will show the installation of the Twist Dynamics Optima Battery Tray on my 2017 Midnight Cherry Slingshot, This may guide you in just what you have to prepare to install an Optima Battery. Good Luck and thanks for watching my video. This video gives a guide to installing the necessary Otima Battery tray to allow for installing the Optima Battery for premium battery service. Check with dealer for your year and requirements, mine is for a 2017 model year.

Optima Battery Tray installation

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The folks that purchase a Slingshot of the earlier models, especially, 2015 and 2016 model, passenger floorboard and firewall can get very hot during the summer months when temps are high. I did several things to combat this problem on my 2015 model. First thing I did was ad air vent tubes to each side of the Slingshot to bring in air through sump pump hoses I mounted in the black fender well slots and direct the hose into the floorboard area. Video will show how I did it and materials you can get to do your own. That helped a lot, but Gail said the floorboard and firewall were still very hot to her feet. I got some insulation material and cut to fit the firewall and floorboard area. That helped a great deal. Video to show the details below. You will have more riding time if your passenger is comfortable.

Floorboard and Firewall heat solutions
Air Ducts Modification

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
At some point you will find the radio on the Polaris Slingshot is not too good for listening to music as you take a nice drive. For one thing, you want to listen to the music you want to hear through your Iphone. The Slingshot is designed to link up with the Iphone of certain models. The owners manual will give a list of what will work. Next, I produced this video to help you pair your Iphone to your Slingshot entertainment system. Now I am using my 2015 model in the video. You can see if it will work on other years. Go to the owners manual for your year and follow the steps. The video should help with seeing it done and guide you some for your pairing operations. Good Luck.

Iphone Blutooth to Entertainment System Procedure

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
New owners, you will find out at some time in your ownership of a Polaris Slingshot, the hood latching system does not latch all latches 100 % of the time. The latch system has 4 latches, two at the front and two at the rear. The front latches are adjustable, the rear are not. Hood alignment is how you achieve adjustment of the rear latches. Too much information to post in text as to how all of this is done. Over the years I have spent a lot of time working with improving the latching system by finding out what works best. I have documented all my research into the Hood Latching System into 8 video and placed in a playlist on my youtube channel, samowens44. Each video will address an issue with the latch system and adjustments. I did add two more video that show installation of the extended range hood hinge. This video will show removal and installation of hood and alignment for latch adjustments. It may help. Learn what it takes to close your hood and have all 4 latches to latch. I am also posting the installation of the Twist Dyanamics Cool Air Intake system. Reason is that it can have an effect on hoot closing and latching. Due to mounting issues with Air Filter box. The box fits close to the top of hood to have a tight air box. Just be aware of it if not latching becomes a problem for front latches.
Everyone has some issue with the latching system of the Slingshot. You should find out what works best for your Slingshot and follow it. One more point, if all latches fail to latch, there is a serious problem that can happen: the hood can rise up and block your vision. Check my video out for how it can happen.

Hood Opening while driving video

Slingshot Hood Latching System Video Playlist

41 - 60 of 109 Posts