Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Fueling your car and other vehicle you own has not been a problem. The Slingshot has a slot in the fuel neck that if you are unaware can lead to splash back during fueling the Slingshot. I suggest you watch my video with a staged demonstration of just how to preform a perfect fueling process. Also, you will keep the gas from landing on the deck and looking like you don't know what you are doing. Also, do not over fill the tank, when you have a good steady fueling rate, stop when it shuts off. The tank is designed to have room for expansion. Sometime basic information can sound stupid to experience people, but to firs timers, it is valuable info. This video came about from a request of members for me to show how to fuel and not get splash back. I direct all of my video to the people with no experience or little experience, I know what you need. I have had splash back myself in the beginning. I also give you a tip for Gas Cap Security, a major issue for Slingshot Owners. I did change my application of the velcro to the full corner of the Hoop cover instead of in the center. Give more secure fit.

Fueling the Slingshot and Gas Cap Security

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Let's take a break from the tech side and go back to my Video History. I will present our first big Event for the Florida Slingshot Curisers. We had the support of a Daytona Beach Slingshot Dealer to help stage our ride and present us with support of traffic control to merge onto a busy Beach Dr for our Group Ride. This was one of the first major Group Events for the Polaris Slingshot of a very large turnout 34 Slingshots.

Now for the Big Daddy First large Group ride to Daytona Bike Week Mar 2016. We had at least 34 Slingshots to show up at the Daytona Beach Indian Dealership for a Group ride on "The Loop". We started out with 34 and due to traffic, red lights and folks taking wrong turn, we ended up with 13 to finish the Loop and the ride down Main Street. This was our First, so we learned some things about large group rides. Anyway, this is a stop at local park for a break, also, got a chance to show group from aerial view.

aerial view of Slingshot at Rest Stop

Our First ride down Main Street Daytona Beach, Fl

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To our guest, I want to present my 2020 Slingshot Calendar. Each photo is my Photo Edit Project of the Slingshot Subject. This will give you a good look at how the Slingshot projects adventure.

2020 Slingshot Calendar

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Guest and new owners of the Slingshot, most of my Video post are on the Section Page Photos/Video there may be help post, take a look. These are past post and the Video Section is where I posted all of my material. Click thru the post and you will find all of my past post of video help articles. The section page is below.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Battery for the Polaris Slingshot is located underneath the Driver side Storage Rear area. It would be good to know how to gain access to the the battery to perform maintenance. My video will guide you with this task. The battery has the important task to start your engine. A loose or dirty terminal will lead to a no start condition and a periodic check will keep you starting with no difficulty. The 2015 years had a full size battery that had to have water level checks and add occasionally. I believe the newer models have a smaller size battery that is maintenance free. The terminals need to be checked for tightness and free of corrosion. If you are not familiar with working around auto batteries and using tools on the terminals, seek someone knowledgeable to help guide you with the safety needed for this task. Another part of Battery knowledge is the charge of the battery and how you can tell when the battery is getting weak on it's ability to store a full charge. The chart I show below will show the different voltage levels of the degrees of charge on your battery. I am also posting a Battery Voltage Indicator that will be helpful to check the condition of the battery. In the morning after sitting all night with no power drain, the battery voltage should be close to 12.8 volts for a fully charged good battery. As the battery ages, this charge level will start decreasing. When you check the battery and the voltage reaches 12.3 volts, you are in the market for a new battery. A battery should perform for 3 to 4 years before this condition is reached. Sometimes there is a trouble with power drain from a circuit in the system that will draw the battery down. This can be determined at the fuse location. You will have to isolate which system is presenting the currant drain. This is sometime difficult to find and requires a good understanding of basic electricity. I have other video on my youtube channel that will show removing and cleaning the terminals.
Video Link:
Checking the Battery

Battery Maintenance.jpg

Battery Votage Monitor Plus USB Ports.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For the folks searching for the best information to make decisions about purchasing a Polaris Slingshot, you have reached the one thread that is dedicated to you. As a five year owner of two Slingshots, I know what you need to know in order to achieve your goals. As you are interested in the Slingshot, it is special and does require some basic knowledge or you can be in trouble when the Slingshot does not perform. I have been where you are trying to reach. I have all the experience of basic maintenance, driving experience, safety issues, feature understanding, adjustments that may be needed to some of the major systems.
I am encouraging you to be a member of the forum and have the posting capabilities to ask questions and see information that will lead you to the best decision for your Slingshot Interest. To receive the most, joining our Forum will give you a voice. Most all members will come to your aid to help you with their experiences. You need all of the members help to give you the best information. I just happen to be the one guy with all the video of how to for the Slingshot. Slingking was another pioneer for video of the Polaris Slingshot, he was much more polished than myself, but we each of us had in our heart to help folks with understanding the Slingshot. Thanks for your attention.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One of the first things a New Slingshot Owner has to deal with is Insurance. Now here is something you need to do some homework on before you buy your Slingshot and don't rush. I have hear folks paying as little as $250 to $2500. In your excitement to get your Slingshot you can make a costly mistake, so get input from other Owners. I have had Geico and now have Progressive Insurance. I think that you will find $300 to $500 a fair range to expect, this depends a lot on a lot of variables about individuals. I am closer to the $500 range for my insurance. Now, Florida is a state that proof of Insurance is not required for the Motorcycle Classification. Some folks drive without insurance, I know some that do. This is not a good idea. I would recommend getting insurance. If you finance our Slingshot, they will not let you out of the Showroom without it so start planning how much you will have to pay! I suggest you look into this before purchasing a new slingshot.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
New Owners, this is something you will want to investigate. What if you run your battery down and the Slingshot will not start. The new size motorcycle battery that comes with the new Slingshot does not have a long discharge capacity. Now, if you need to jump start it, I am the only one that shows you how to do it if you install a Jump Port connection. There are a number of ways to do this. I suggest the under the hood installation. I have video on how to do it and the video on how to safely jump-start your Slingshot if needed. Take a look at my video. Be prepared with knowledge at least.

Under the Hood Jump Port Installation

Jump Start Procedure for Slingshot with Jump Port

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sam, do you have a video or a preference for washing and/or lubing the drive belt to alleviate the squeal? Ours has the high pitched squeal, but only intermittently. Doesn't seem to be any one situation that causes it to start or stop.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Sam, do you have a video or a preference for washing and/or lubing the drive belt to alleviate the squeal? Ours has the high pitched squeal, but only intermittently. Doesn't seem to be any one situation that causes it to start or stop.
Hello openair, belt squeal can come from a number of issues. First is keep belt clean, soap and water and brush along all the teeth of belt and pulleys. Best to have rear wheel off the ground and spin the wheel as you clean.
Next, if this does not clear squeal,belt alignment can present squeal sounds as it rubs on the inside of the rear drive pulley. I have video that will help you perform Drive Belt Alignment Checks. Take a look at some of my video listed below. Belt tension can contribute to squeal issues also. I have that covered in video.

As can be seen, there are a number of things that can lead to belt squeal. Start with cleaning, then belt alignment check. That will correct most issues.
Slingshot Wheel Cleaning
Drive Belt Alignment Explained Part 1
Drive Belt Alignment Explained part 2
Properly aligned Drive Belt Performance
Drive Belt Tension Check Procedure
Final Drive Belt Alignment Adjustment Procedure

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
When you need to raise the Slingshot to perform maintenance or adjustments, I recommend a motorcycle Jack with the two rails. Harbor Freight has an inexpensive one that I have and works great. I can raise the front and rear wheels, also the frame when needed. To perform rear wheel raises, I slip the left rail of the Motorcycle jack under the rear part of swing arm and secure the jack not to move by lowering the stop screws on the jack. Also chock the front wheels front and back. I have several video that show raising the Slingshot and also raising the wheels off the ground. To see raising rear wheel, find Belt Alignment video and for the front wheels, look at Wheel Cleaning video. Folks, I spend a lot of time bringing you just the right information in a video, take a look, it may help.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As part of my entertainment, I want to introduce some of my Photo Edit Projects from time to time. Here is the 2020 Slingshot model. Ready to take on the evening adventure!

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
One of the first things you will find with your first driving experience of any Slingshot, will be the seat belts. Both ease of retrieval and comfort as you wear the belt tight across your neck. Yes, they are stored by spring tension against the back panel behind the driver and passenger seats. It requires the driver to reach around with the left hand by twisting your body beyond a normal condition, to grasp the seat belt buckle. Then pull it across your chest to latch. The Passenger must do the same maneuver with their right hand. You will see what I mean when you attempt your first drive.
It was not long after my owning the first Slingshot that I determined I was going to make the seat belt easier to retrieve when ready to buckle up and store the buckle in a convenient place. I came up with a simple system of mounting a Hook, at the point of the fin as shown in the photo below. Any hook that will survive the weather will work and should be screwed in and not glued. My hooks are Small Rope Cleats, that are chrome. One other thing I did was install belt tension adjusters. They stop the belt from retracting at a position that gives you a comfortable feel across your chest. You should adjust the tensions to just a slight play so the belt does not dig into your neck. Too much and you are unsafe for the full safety of the seat belt restraint.
I made my tensioners from clothes pins. To purchase tension belt adulteress, you can buy them at auto part stores.
Look at the photo and you will see the storage system and belt tensioners. I produced a couple of video to demonstrate the use.
As can be seen, using the belt tension adjusters leaves the belt with slack during storage of belt buckle.
Video
Seat Belt Comfort

Seat Belt Tension Adjuster Idea

Power Port and Seat Belt Storage.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Maintenance of a Slingshot is important. If you purchase a brand New Slingshot, there is a 500 Mile Break In Oil and Filter Change required. Now, you can schedule an appointment at the dealers. May require dropping it off and could be more than a day depending on dealers schedule. Time, if it is important and you want to avoid taking it to the dealers for basic maintenance, I suggest you follow my Video How to for performing your own Oil change. You will not void your warranty if you use oil and filter of a quality specified by Polaris. Also keep receipts. You should look in the Owners Manual for the Maintenance Schedule and perform all required checks and maintenance for the scheduled time of mileage. The basic Oil Change I give you just what you need to do from start to finish. Take a look first and see if it is within your confidence and skill level. You do not even have to raise the Slingshot to perform the Oil and Filter Change.

That first 500 miles is a break in period where you need to drive a little careful to give controled wear to all of the drive parts in the engine to seat everything properly. That means no full throttle starts and fast acceleration. Just follow the break in procedure outlined in the Owners Manual. I have already many time suggested reading the entire Owners Manual, it is important.

Video
Oil and Filter Change Procedure
This video was made to show the best way to gain access to the Oil Drain Plug.
Gaining Access to Oil Drain Plug

Break-In Period.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Another big area to consider as you look at the Polaris Slingshot. If your plans are to trailer your Slingshot, you need to know what model Slingshot you will purchase. If it has a top, then you are limited to a covered trailer to tow your Slingshot. There are no open covers I know of for covering a Slingshot with the many tops available. Polaris Makes a very good cover that will work great for models without tops to transport on open trailers. So, think about this as part of your planing and the cost for a close trailer is much more than an open trailer. If you do not plan on trailering, then no problem, enjoy your Slingshot. View my Playlist on trailer video, on this thread.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use a cover that says Toyota Corolla on the box. Fits without any kind of top. I'll bet it will fit with a top too.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I use a cover that says Toyota Corolla on the box. Fits without any kind of top. I'll bet it will fit with a top too.
@openair the Slingshot cover is custom fited to draw tight around the Slingshot with a soft lining. A person should be sure the car cover will not cause damage to the Slingshot finish from insufficient lining and wind turbulence. I am not sure how a car cover would work for open trailer towing. I have have towed my Slingshot without the cover behind my RV and did not have any damage. I do have protection of my ramps being stored at the front of trailer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just use the cover on in the garage for extended periods. VERY careful not to drag it over the Sling. For short periods, I put a couple of old sheets on it, just to ward off the dust.
No the car cover would not work on a trailer. It would flap around and probably wreck something.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I have produced a Video to help with reviewing some of the features and information in the Owners Manual. Sometimes a video can get attention and people will follow up by looking into what is in the Owners Manual for any of the Slingshot Model Years. A great place to research facts that will be very important to your decision making process.
Here is Video review of some of the 2020 Polaris Slingshot Owners Manual and commentary.

2020 Slingshot Owners Manual Review

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
If you are searching for a Slingshot, you are in store for the fun of your life. After you get over the first month or two of driving around and getting use to the fun, then you will want to start looking into accessories. You will find some areas that need improvements or additions that are just not available. You sometimes have to look around to find what owners have come up with on their own to improve things on the Slingshot. Well, I am one of those guys that came up with my own modifications. I have created a video of showing off my 2017 Midnight Cherry SL LE model and the accessories I installed, along with my own creations. Take a look and you may get some ideas that you will want to investigate. If you see a mod I created, I have a video of how to do it on my youtube channel, just search for it.
My video:
Accessories and mods done to my Slingshot

21 - 40 of 106 Posts