Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This new thread will help folks investigating the Polaris Slingshot and the New Owners that have just purchase their new Slingshot. I have 5 years of ownership of two Polaris Slingshots. My first was a 2015 Sl Model, second was a 2017 Midnight Cherry SL LE model. Right off the bat, I have many video I produced from when I bought my first Slingshot all the way to the point I sold my last Slingshot. Due to age and change of life style, I left the Slingshot world, but, I left a lot of information that may be of great value to New Owners and folks looking into the Slingshot. I want to share my story and video here. I will start by providing you a look at my ride history. This thread will show how we enjoyed our Slingshots through the years. I captured video of our rides and will share them now.
More threads will be coming, but want to feed your interest to show what you are going to enjoy as you own a Polaris Slingshot. Buckle Up!!!

Table of Content Links
  1. Slingshot Owner Manual
  2. 2020 Model Features
  3. 2020 Slingshot Specs
  4. Samowens44 Complete Slingshot Video Playlist Library
  5. 2015-2019 Slingshot Models General Specs
  6. Important Slingshot Safety Features Explained
  7. Polaris Slingshot Website for help
  8. Slingshot runs out of Gas
  9. Fueling and Gas Cap security
  10. Samowens44 Complete List of Post
  11. Slingshot Driving Lessons
  12. Recall Lookup for Slingshots by Vin and Recall Number
  13. Drive Belt Alignment and Tension
  14. Parking and Wheel Rim Protection
  15. Ride Command Help
  16. Slingshot and wet roads precautions
  17. Polaris Slingshot Options for New Owners
  18. Mode Button Explained
  19. Optima Battery Tray Installation Procedure
  20. Passenger Compartment Heat Solutions
  21. Entertainment System and Cell Phone Connection
  22. Slingshot Hood Latching System
  23. Slingshot hood opening while driving
  24. Floorboard Heat Test Ride
  25. Floorboard Temperature readings for test ride
  26. Troubleshooting Third Brake Light
  27. Link to Samowens44 Post on Photo/Video Thread
  28. USB Port for Music
  29. How to test Fuses on Slingshot
  30. Turn Signal Aux LED Installation Info
  31. Auxiliary Fuse Box Installation Procedure
  32. Slingshot Cover Installation Procedure
  33. Raise Wheels for Rim and Wheel cleaning
  34. Motorcycle Jack Use for Slingshot
  35. Turn Signal Monitor for turn signals not canceled
  36. Drive Belt System View
  37. Learn how to adjust Front Spoiler
  38. Sip n Ride Cup Holder System for Drinks
  39. How to check motor oil level
  40. Turn Signal Flasher Module
  41. How to remove lower deck panel
  42. Message to Forums Guest
  43. Turn Signal Auto Cancel Feature on 2020 Slingshot
  44. Hood Removal and Installation Procedure
  45. Build a Dash Cam Mounting for Slingshot
  46. Slingshot in The Smokies Event 2017
  47. Sip n Ride Silicone Tube Drinking System
  48. Slingshot Backup Camera on for Driving
  49. Angle Drive Maintenance Schedule and procedure
  50. How to access the Battery on Slingshot
  51. Riding Limits up Blood Mountain Georgia
  52. View from underneath the Slingshot
  53. Driver Side Front Suspension View while riding
  54. Passenger Floorboard Heat Issues Solutions Playlist
  55. Northeast Georgia Mountains Ride Video
  56. How to safely work under the Slingshot
Sam Owens Media and Slingshot Information
Table of Content Links
  1. New Owners Slingshot Information
  2. My many post of video help for Slingshot subjects
  3. Battery Health for the Slingshot
  4. Aux Turn Signal Wiring Diagram
  5. Understanding the Hood Latches
  6. Hood Latching System Adjustment Video Playlist
  7. Front Hood Hinge Alignment Procedure
  8. How Cold Air System Mod can cause hood closing problems
  9. Slingshot Backup Camera on for Driving
  10. Ipad and GoPro mounted for the Slingshot
  11. Slingshot U-Joint Lube Procedure
  12. Fin Brake Light Removal Procedure
  13. Do your own Oil Change without raising Slingshot
  14. Drive Belt Performance Test
  15. Jump Starting the Polaris Slingshot
  16. Helmet Intercom System Option
  17. Front Spoiler Adjustment Procedure
  18. Cup Holder Insulation Procedure
  19. How to Loosen the Drive Belt tension
  20. Trailer Your Slingshot Information
  21. Performance Exhaust Header Installation Procedure
  22. Grease Gun Mod for U-Joint
The Story Begins:

Starting in Feb 2015 we started capturing our Ride Video. The first video is as we picked up our first 2015 Slingshot SL. I wanted to capture that first thrilling experience of owning a Polaris Slingshot. I was actual sick with a cold and it was a cold day, I did not care, the ride was on front burner. The video progress on in time. Around Feb of 2015 I formed the Florida Slingshot Cruisers Facebook group and we started getting Members to join. Then the group rides began.
This will give new owners and folks thinking about getting a Polaris Slingshot a look at what to expect from the view from a Slingshot as you ride. Anyway, enjoy the show and wish you luck on finding that special Slingshot that you may be looking for. Showtime!!!!!

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our first big ride to Daytona 135 miles from Gainesville, and we enjoyed it, this is the Famous ride that everyone takes in Daytona, "The Loop" on Highbridge road. Also up A1A. This ride was near the end of Feb 2015.
Now this was my first ride video to capture and this is the way I mounted my GoPro on my Harley for capturing video. I learned that it is better to mount the camera fixed.

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Folks, this is a long story and it is told as it happened, in video. I will get the the threads of helpful video when this is complete. I want you to see where you are headed with the decision to purchase a Slingshot, and if you own a one now, what to expect. Hope it will help guide you to a new Life Style that will give opportunities to meet some real nice folks and enjoy some great events.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gail and I decide to ride to Daytona again for our first Bike week with the Slingshot. Yes, we had to ride Main Street and capture the view from the Slingshot. Bike Week 2015, Main Street, March.

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a drone and wanted to capture aerial views of us riding in our Slingshot. Now this was near the end of Mar 2015. Now I was at a deserted shopping mall and do not recommend driving and flying a drone. This was had to accomplish, this was my first drone and I did not have a display of what I was capturing, just point and hope, but I think you get some idea of what our Slingshot looks like as we are riding view and from above. This is the only video of this type, so now it is Showtime!

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is our next video in Florida after our summer RV Trip to Oregon with Snazzy. We trailered it out there and enjoyed riding in lots of areas across the USA. That will be another Thread later. So, come along on our passed journey of history for our two Slingshots that we have owned. This may help some of the folks that are thinking about the Slingshot and are just not sure of what to expect. This next video is when we got back to Florida and I think this ride accrose Paynes Paririe shows Florida well. This location is just south of Gainesville, Fl on Hwy 75. Buckle up and let's go!

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Folks, you will see views from the Slingshot that can only be seen while riding in one, I give you that opportunity.

Now we come to the First ride with another Slingshot. This is early Feb 2016, this is Slingshot owner I met that lives 3 miles from me. We are on our way to Stark, Fl to meet his brother another Slingshot owner. This became the start of the Florida Slingshot Cruiser Facebook Group. This ride gives a look at how our Slingshots look traveling down the road with a side view as we pass.

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the very first Slingshot Group ride event we went on, Mid Feb, 2016. Our meeting place was Corky Bells in East Polatka, Fl. A great restaurant on the St James River. We had about 5 Slingshots on meet for lunch. A great beginning for much more to come. Folks, stay with me, you will be along to see the history unfold. Much more to come.

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The end of Feb, our Florida Slingshot Cruisers did a Group Ride to Mt Dora. Other members met us there from other locations. This will show the beautiful ride around Lake Dora on Lakeshore Dr. You will see some of Downtown Mt. Dora, a great little place to have lunch and do some shopping, yes, more than just T-shirts, the good stuff here. There are also many events like car shows, so lots to do and see. A must place to go when visiting Florida in North Central Fla.

Youtube Video Link

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As the title of this thread states, I am going to share my experience to give information needed to get started enjoying your Slingshot. The first things will be to give you links to the Owners Manuals. The Owners manuals will give you a lot of info that will be needed to help understand the systems and maintain your Slingshot. I have placed links to each year manual, you should review the manual of year Slingshot you plan to purchase or own.

2015 Slingshot Owners Manual
2017 Slingshot Owners Manual
2018 Slingshot Owners Manual
2019 Slingshot Owners Manual
2020 Slingshot Owners Manual

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will now start reviewing the 2020 Slingshot Owners Manual as this model features an option for Automatic Transmission. This will possibly open up more interest for the Polaris Slingshot as it will not require skills to drive the past Manual Transmission Models. This new Slingshot has a brand new Polaris Engine also. There are a number of new features that will add up to more enjoyable rides and adventure. Let's start. Compare the 2020 Models.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is some more critical imformation that will be need to see what plans you need to make if you plan to trailer or park you Slingshot in a designated area. The size needs to be known, here I have all the measurements. They have changed the 2020 model to 5.4 inch ground clearance. Older models was at 5.0 inch and sometimes would hit the Sleeping Policeman parking stops and curbs.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a view of the Cockpit for the 2020 Model. One major change is that controls for Entertainment system and Cruise Control have been place on the Steering Wheel for easy access. It also has a new Entertainment System with easy to use controls. The Automatic Transmission Model has push buttons for Drive Control. Up until this year, all Slingshots were Manual Shift. Now for the folks that just want to push the Gas and break and feel the excitement of driving the Polaris Slingshot, can!!!!!

Cockpit View Floorboard Lites.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are a few changes that that are small, but worth Polaris making the changes. Cup Holders Location and Storage Compartment at back of center console. Older models have the cup holders located at the very back of the Center Console, making it difficult to retrieve drinks. Here is a top aerial view of the Cockpit.

Top View of Cockpit.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The front Lighting Display for the 2020 Model has changed for the better. Here is my photo edited Ad creation to display that look for you. As you see, they dolled up the front spoiler area with covers that can have colors and more Lights. Yahoo, Slingshot owners love Lighting.

2020 Slingshot Introduction With Fireworks.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know there will be folks that may want to purchase one of the many older models that will be available for the owners that want to trade up. I have a youtube channel, samowens44, with many video with How-To Subject for the Slingshot World. If you want information about the older models, you may want to review some of my Playlist. I am providing a link to my entire Library here. 5 different categories.

Samowens44 Complete Video Playlist Library

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the folks looking into the Polaris Slingshot for the first time you need to know why this vehicle is classified as a Motorcycle and not a car. First off, there is information in the Owners Manual that explains all this, but I am going to make it easy and explain. It does not qualify as a car as it does not meet the many test that are required for a Car classification. It does not have air bags, windshield wipers, defroster system, and would not pass a crash test. That is the basics of it. Now, the next classification available was Motorcycle. The Classification has a Weight Limit of 1750 lbs. For the Slingshot to meet this limit, the size of the battery had to be cut down in size to help meet the limits of weight. That is how close things are for the Slingshot Design.
I am posting the specifications for weights to help you plan for safe travel. The Slingshot is a three wheel vehicle and does not have the same stability of a four wheel vehicle. The owners manual goes into a lot of detail about these facts, I suggest you read the Owners Manual as there is more than just maintenance information.
The attachment below show how much cargo the Slingshot is recommended to carry. All vehicle have these limits and this is not just for the Slingshot. 457 lbs includes driver, passenger, and cargo along with any accessories. Please don't be worried that if your weights for these items goes up to 500 lbs your slingshot will fall apart. Just be aware of this information as you add things.

2015 thru 2017 models specs.

Weight for the Slingshot.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All year and models Slingshots have three safety features that help maintain control of your Slingshot when your wheels encounter road conditions other than dry and clear road surface. Now let's break that down.
ABS braking
helps to keep from locking your breaks in panic stops. It will pulse the brakes for the full stopping power of the brake system.
ESP is Electronic Stability Program. It's job is to control the front braking and engine RPM to maintain a direction intended to steer the Slingshot. It applies the brakes to the wheel that will maintain that direction. You can not feel when all this is happening if encountered. There is a light on the dash that will illuminate if it is happening. Most times you are trying to maintain control, like in a curve. Important, ESP is not fully effective when encountering Hydroplaning. This is a condition when you hit water puddles at higher speeds. Action to take when roads are wet, slow way down and be cautious or do not drive when the road is wet. The Slingshot is way more fun on beautiful dry days.
TC Traction Control is control for the rear wheel. When on, it limits the amount of tire spin. You can not do a smoke producing full tire burnout spin for showoff. You will need to turn off the Traction Control to allow full burn out displays. If you are not experienced, I would advise you not to do this, get some help and instruction. It can be dangerous to you and others observing.

I advise you to read the Owners Manual, there is so much information you really need to know before you take command of driving the Slingshot. The first 22 pages have most of the basic safety and basics needed. Then continue with the rest of the manual as you have time.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the folks searching for their first Slingshot, please review this Polaris Website as a one place to start. If you find a vehicle from a private owner, you can look up the VIN and review the history of recalls and other factors. I suggest clicking on all buttons and review what is available to you. The resources button will have the VIN lookup option.
This website is listed in the owners manual also.

Polaris Slingshot Information Help

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To the new owners, in your excitement of the first few rides, you are unfamiliar with range of a tank of gas.

Here is one thing that may save you from a tow truck. You may run out of gas with your exciting ride. You may get a can of gas and think all is well, I will be home soon. You need to know this information before you run out of gas. How to prime the fuel system when you have reached this point. This information is in the 2017 Owners Manual, check your year in case there may be differences. Prepare for the unexpected, read the owners manual. You do not want to be without the proper knowledge to get on the road with the least delay. Always check your Owners manual for your year and model for proper procedure, this is from 2017 year.

Priming the Fuel System.jpg

1 - 20 of 106 Posts