Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2016.5 LE with 9500 miles on it. Lots of tasteful mods, including luggage racks with bags, lumbar cushion seats, rear fender, CAI, etc. First fun ride I’ve owned since selling my WRX 6 years ago!

Can’t wait to make it my own! Found this site when doing thorough research before purchasing. Very informative and will be contributing a lot!

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Just bought a 2016.5 LE with 9500 miles on it. Lots of tasteful mods, including luggage racks with bags, lumbar cushion seats, rear fender, CAI, etc. First fun ride I’ve owned since selling my WRX 6 years ago!

Can’t wait to make it my own! Found this site when doing thorough research before purchasing. Very informative and will be contributing a lot! View attachment 187790
View attachment 187791
Nice find...limited edition 2016.5 Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity". I have a
2016 fast red one with 99,450 miles on her and running strong.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I got some riding (or is it driving?) to do to catch-up!

Only issue I have is the brake light coming on. Sounds like I’ll need to replace some sensors.
Breaks will work but the cruse control will not when the light come on. Being new to the Slingshot world ... wet roads/rain turn off ABS and Traction control. Lots of things we can do to these great machines....put some miles in the seat before making to many changes...to many make changes and two weeks later find something that they like better...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got some riding (or is it driving?) to do to catch-up!

Only issue I have is the brake light coming on. Sounds like I’ll need to replace some sensors.
If it is the “brake failure” light on the tach, it could be as simple as low brake fluid level. The sensors on the master cylinder reservoir only close a circuit when they are sitting in a bath of fluid. If fluid is low, they will definitely start intermittently lighting the brake failure on the dash. If fluid level has gone really low, there could be air in the master cylinder triggering the pressure sensors.

The other issue could be the brake pressure sensors. They are located just slightly below on the master cylinder itself. They are simple operation so, easy to test. Unplug both. Use a multimeter to probe each switch. Have someone inside the Slingshot step on the brakes. The pressure sensor should show a short. Release brake should be open.

For the wheel sensors, I believe if they fail in any way it lights the “ESP off” and/or “traction control off” lights. If so, try the following before whipping out the checkbook at the dealer.

• Follow each sensor cable back to the connector. Unplug, check for any signs of water or corrosion, spray some electric contact cleaner, put a little dielectric grease and re-plug in. Take it for a ride and see if problem is cured.
  • If above didn’t help, it’s time to look at the sensors themselves. They are easily removed. Once out, blow out the inside with some air. Clean the sensor if it is looking cruddy. Re-install and go for a ride. These sensors are only hall-effect magnetic sensors. The signal from all 3 are sent back to the ECU and it just compares all 3 and activates antilock or stability control as needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake fluid is at the “Full” level and doesn’t look contaminated. As for checking the brake pressure sensors, is their an instructional video or a good write-up? I’ll put my meter on them and see if they are operating fine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know if anyone has any how-to videos online but, this is a section from the maintenance manual. In my opinion, "Test 1" is a bit over the top as it is very unlikely you would have a physical wire in the harness go bad.

·
Premium Member
2015 2JZ swapped
457 Posts
Congrats on getting a Slingshot! There is a very popular/large group called Twin Cities Slingshot Riders (on FB) that get together and ride often. We've also got quite a few owners in WI that get together and ride.

Your "Brake Failure" light is probably due to faulty pressure switches. There was a recall/update for those a few years back - it has since expired. Changing them out is fairly easy to do, but re-bleeding the brakes is best done by a reputable dealer to insure the best possible brake feel/performance.

Any questions about anything Sling related feel free to ask or PM me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts