Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
...They were not aware an updated ECU program was available, and would download the updates to their software which they thought would bring the new ECU mappings along. We reported rev-hang and rev-drop each time we were in for work, so this should be covered also. Will keep you posted, and thanks
@xd675x for all the information!
yep, same here. Dealer had no specific knowledge of any tuning update(s) but said they would hook it up and my SS would updated with whatever Polaris had to offer at this point.

I'll pick it up this afternoon so my fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
At dealer now. Also knew nothing about a new ecu update but said they would hook it up and download any updates if they were available.
On a side note the asshole behind the counter named Kevin at Clawson Motorsports in Fresno, CA said "we don't go by the forums and what those say! Around here forums are known as the 'f' word and we stay away"
Needless to say that's prolly why you don't know SHIT about a product you guys sale and service!, was my response!

If the next nearest dealer wasn't 55 miles away I would use them!!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
@RABTECH,

As I understand it from the shop manual, they should just be resetting the zero of the angle sensor (located in the steering wheel hub housing), the engine mapping along with other settings should not be affected. (Your radio reception probably won't improve either. :sorry:)

The dealer finished up on our Slingshot this morning, said the jackshaft bearings were fine and the belt needed cleaning (have them double-checking that assessment...). They were not aware an updated ECU program was available, and would download the updates to their software which they thought would bring the new ECU mappings along. We reported rev-hang and rev-drop each time we were in for work, so this should be covered also. Will keep you posted, and thanks @xd675x for all the information!

UPDATE: Updating the dealer software brought along the 06/25/2015 ECU mappings, they re-flashed and were done in 15 minutes total. Any dealer with the ECU programming hardware should have no problems. Hey, where'd everyone go??? :wacky:
So do we need to make an appointment for the updated ECU mapping? assuming they have the new software at this time?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just came back from my dealer - he took it in right away with out notice, plugged it in and searched for updates...none.
Told me he's always looking for them and will let me know asap when/if available. Hats off to Cycle Works in Calgary.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ok folks! Just got called back to the service department. There is a new flash for the ECU but unfortunately my dealer can't do it because it IS NOT FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS! So apparently California DOSE NOT get all the good stuff.....typical!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
^^^ these are motorcycles, not cars... -_-

i hate CARB.
Your right about that but unfortunately the still have emissions standards in Cali

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
We got flashed, and it wasn't by @Pigmanfu, which took 15 minutes (details).
For reference, our Slingshot has a stock intake and exhaust system (no upgrades), Gamma (01/2015 factory) ECU mapping re-flashed to the 06/25/2015 factory ECU update.
This post was updated with the latest information on 07/13/2015.

Better-But-Not-Quite-Fixed
~ If accelerating and the clutch is depressed right after letting off the throttle, the revs still go up; now it's +250 RPM consistently. If yours had "redline rev flare" this change counts as a plus, because rev flare seems to be eliminated other than this predictable occurrence. So the ECU is still compensating for engine load about the same amount, just doing it better. (Previously we saw anywhere between +500 and +1,250 RPM, when it happened.)
~ When shifting gears, rev hang for 1 second is pretty much guaranteed; now it's very consistent. (Previously we saw anywhere between 1 and 5 seconds when it happened.)
~ "Rev drop" to 500 RPM can still happen, but it's not rough like before (due to rev fade). Recovery is also slower than before, and very smooth.
~ "Rev flare" (where the computer causes the engine to increase RPM to red-line and holds it there for ~2 seconds) is far better than the ~October 2014 tune, and possibly worse than the ~January 2015 tune.
- The owner's manual states reverse speed is limited to 10 MPH, which used to be accomplished by limiting engine RPM when in Reverse. Once reaching that RPM the ECU would cut fuel for 1/2 second, creating a pulsing effect. The limit was set high enough to back up without issue, however, certain drivers like to hold the RPMs high and work only the clutch and steering wheel, and the work-around was to lower the RPM and not wear the clutch, especially given the engine and transmission have to be removed to change the clutch plate. This ECU update monitors reverse speed instead of RPM, so drivers can now toast their clutch at high RPM until it's dark black and gooey in the middle, like a marshmallow over a campfire.

The Bad

- "Rev fade" was added, where the revs slowly drop to 1,100 RPM, stick for 1/4 second, then slowly drop to 750 RPM. When you see it you'll understand why I call it "fade" (it's not linear).
- No more awesome engine sucking sound from "rev cut," because of the newly added "rev fade." :muted: (update: As the ECU continues to self-tune, "rev cut" seems to have added itself back in, but very rarely happens.)
- Significantly reduced engine blurble when decelerating in gear. Engine-wise this is a longevity enhancer, sound wise it's like owning a silent monkey--not a bad thing, you just miss the grumbling after a while, after all, that's part of owning a monkey.
- The butt-dyno shows the new mapping moves torque from the back of the pedal to the front, a trick to make a vehicle feel powerful--if there's more than enough up front, why use the rest of the pedal? The new map takes RPM into serious consideration, and only pours as much fuel as the engine can drink, smoothly increasing power as revs build. However, the down side is it's now much easier to exceed the governmentally regulated velocity limitation, not to mention spin the rear tire when trying to gain a little speed to get around another vehicle. From what I can tell, this is a serious miscalculation on a vehicle with a large power-to-weight ratio. The torque would be better located deeper in the pedal.

The Good
+ Letting off the throttle while in gear for ~2 (or more) seconds, then depressing the clutch does not have "rev hang" but now has "rev fade," although it generally ignores the 1,100 RPM Miss Congeniality point.
+ Idle is still 750 RPM indicated.
+ Idle seems smoother; it's too soon to tell for sure, as we're running high-grade 93 octane this tank.
+ Everything is fairly consistent, less random stuff and when it is random it's not as serious.

The first start after getting flashed sounded "a bit odd," but each start thereafter cleaned up quickly, and starts now sound normal.

Summary
The bad isn't all that bad, there are improvements, we just wish the complaints were fixed, but thanks to a highly regulatory government there's only so much Polaris can do. The good isn't all that good, highlighted by the "improved torque" being a smoke-and-mirrors parlor trick that seems fun but wears off quickly and makes drivability worse. It appears the new mapping is tuned more for the casual driver and less for the performance-minded individual, an odd thing to do on a "sports car."

The ECU still adjusts to individual drivers, and we noticed over a two-week period the above observations changed over time from being "rock-solid consistent" to "very consistent."

Personally, I wouldn't rush out to get the new ECU map, but we also did not have redline rev flare or [near] stalling; if you're having those problems the update should help significantly. Some things are better, some not as good, over-all it seems to be about as fun as what we had, although the driver still doesn't have the feeling of being fully in control, kind of like the babysitter is still managing things behind the scenes. If you're looking for more torque, this will probably give that impression, although at the expense of driveability.

As a side note, this does not address camera issues. The display system in the SL & LE was not updated; the camera still glitches at times (thinks it's in reverse when in 1st, blue screens, etc.), although this is a fairly infrequent occurrence.

Remember:
* This is personal opinion, I didn't run this through weeks of lab testing, and how much each person values (or hates) the changes will vary.
* The number of flashed vehicles is still low so your results may vary.
* I don't know how the new maps will play with aftermarket intake/exhaust parts, you may need to plan accordingly.

(Got to be the co-star in three home videos after the ECU update, cars slowing down and speeding up to capture the Slingshot from back to front. It's a rough life, but somebody has to do it.)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have about 6200 miles on my SL and the rev is really bad and getting worse over time. When I press the clutch and shift at 2500 if I don't shift immediately it will rev to 3500 probably more if I do not shift immediately it really sucks can't they figure this out

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sounds like maybe a good time for an over the state border road trip with a scheduled flash service?
That's a great idea! We may be driving to vegas in a week so I may have to make that happen if it's worth the flash.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We got flashed, and it wasn't by @Pigmanfu. As stated previously, it took 15 minutes.
For reference, our Slingshot has a stock intake and exhaust system (no upgrades), Gamma (01/2015 factory) ECU mapping.

The Bad
- If accelerating and the clutch is depressed right after letting off the throttle, the revs still go up; now it's +250 RPM consistently. If yours had rev flare this counts as a plus, because rev flare seems to be eliminated. (Previous we saw anywhere between +500 and +1,250 RPM, when it happened.)
- When shifting gears, rev hang for 1 second is pretty much guaranteed; now it's very consistent.
- "Rev fade" was added, where the revs slowly drop to 1,100 RPM, stick for 1/4 second, then slowly drop to 750 RPM. When you see it you'll understand why I call it "fade" (it's not linear).
- "Rev drop" to 500 RPM can still happen, but it's not rough like before (due to rev fade). Recovery is also slower than before, and very smooth.
- No more awesome engine sucking sound from "rev cut," because of the newly added "rev fade." :muted:

The Good
+ The butt-dyno shows increased torque everywhere. It rates: "Ni-i-i-i-ice," but not "BALLS!" Very noticeable up front on the pedal travel, yet still very drivable.
+ Letting off the throttle while in gear for ~2 (or more) seconds, then depressing the clutch does not have "rev hang" but now has "rev fade," although it generally ignores the 1,100 RPM Miss Congeniality point.
+ Idle is still 750 RPM indicated.
+ Idle seems smoother; it's too soon to tell for sure, as we're running high-grade 93 octane this tank.
+ Everything is consistent, no more random stuff (so far).

The first start after getting flashed sounded "a bit odd," but each start thereafter cleaned up quickly. Starts now sound normal, although the engine hasn't had a chance to cool.

Personally, I wouldn't rush out to get it, but we also weren't having rev flare or [near] stalling. Some things are better, some not as good, over-all it seems to be about as fun as what we had. If you're looking for more torque, this will probably give it, although the number of flashed vehicles is still low so your mileage may vary. I don't know how the new maps will play with aftermarket intake/exhaust parts, you may need to plan accordingly.

(Got to be the co-star in three home videos after the ECU update, cars slowing down and speeding up to capture the Slingshot from back to front. It's a rough life, but somebody has to do it.)

So whats the verdict?
Is it a true fix or what?
From reading your impressions its a bag of compromises......

·
Registered
434 Posts
yep, same here. Dealer had no specific knowledge of any tuning update(s) but said they would hook it up and my SS would updated with whatever Polaris had to offer at this point.

I'll pick it up this afternoon so my fingers are crossed!
waste of time - supposedly my dealer is having problems with their "digital wrench" and didn't connect my SS to the system...so no software update done to mine.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Glad I just had him reset my steering sensor back to 0. I have to say that with Bob doing our Turbo tuning we don't have flare or any issues. It seems like someone at Polaris would give Bob a call and pay him for some consulting time. Bob has this shit figured out. Not only has he figured it out for Turbo owners he has it figured out for you N/A guys. If Polaris actually reads any of these post they need to get with Bob. Just stating a fact. My ECU actually gets better every time I get in it. Its actually learning my habits.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Where do we go to learn more info and cost for the Bob Tune for NA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is buried in a few threads around here. If I were you, I would email him on here. @MEFIburn

I think for a NA tune, depending what aftermarket parts you may have, the tune is around $400-$450.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
So whats the verdict?
Is it a true fix or what?
From reading your impressions its a bag of compromises......
I realize a lot of people look for "what do you think" in addition to what one sees so they can "get a feel" for what to expect. "There will be 6% additional torque over previous when the pedal is depressed one-quarter inch..." just doesn't do it for the average person, where "That rates a Ni-i-i-ice on the butt-dyno..." is easily understood.

After more testing the report has been updated and includes a Summary. (On "day one" it was hard to get an over-all impression, so I mostly reported what I observed.)

41 - 60 of 460 Posts