Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A227DFCF-F040-4152-91AB-44B8532779ED.jpeg
4C4226B6-FFF1-48C8-954B-78361496070C.jpeg
My Sling jumped forward in 1st gear with the emergency brake on and the front drivers side tire hit the wall. Turns out that it bent the frame to where it needs to be replaced. No other damage to body or anything. I just invested A LOT of money in to redoing my Sling. My Sling now ranging roughly if not more than $50,000. The dealer in town states that they send the vin# to Polaris and Polaris creates a new chassis with the same vin# and then they send to the dealer to replace. I don’t want my sling to be considered totaled because I have a lot invested in it and the insurance states they are only going to give me $16,000. Insurance claims when a frame is bent it’s considered total, but that is for automobiles which is not the same as a sling. I don’t plan on ever selling my sling, it’s mine for life. Does anyone know or have they had their frame bent and the insurance didn’t consider it totaled? I need advise on who to talk to, to convince the insurance company not to total it. It’s cheaper for them to replace the frame then it is to consider it totaled. Are the Slingshots in the same category as a regular car when the frame is bent, even if the sling is not the same frame structure. I think with them still being new this is all new to a lot of people on how to classify them. HELP PLEASE
And please don’t tell me to have them total it cuz I don’t want to hear that. You wouldn’t consider yours totaled if you had over $50,000 invested in it and the insurance was only going to give you $16,000 for it. Thank you
See pics of the Lone Wolf and you’ll understand my pain

·
Registered
192 Posts
At this point your BEST option is to have it totaled and buy it back from them, then you have some options as to what to do.

1-) Buy a new frame from polaris and have someone transfer everything over, the end result will be that you will have a "rebuilt" title but you know it will be 100% within specs, this way will probably cost you the most but the best in case that you need to file another claim with the insurance in the future.

2-) Head over to a local fabricator and have them repair the frame, this is something that could be done for very little and you could have your bike and money left over but the bike will be "salvage" and in the eyes of the insurance not be worth a damn.

Unfortunately regardless of how much you invest in mods most insurance policies cover about 5k(if you added the coverage that is), more than that and it tends to increase the policy price beyond what anyone would like to pay.

If you do nothing regarding the insurance claim and fix the frame and later on something happens and see the fixed frame they can deny your claim and you are then stuck with nothing, so might as well and get something out of it now.

Sorry that happened to you but you are in one of those spots that even though the problems seems simple it is quite not so simple since FRAME DMG is what is used as an indicator to a motorcycle road worthiness, unlike cars motorcycles that get a damaged frame get tossed/parted out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
#3. You could do some shopping around and find another sling the same model. Purchase said sling and have a "garage day" and get some fellow slingers to swap everything over from your SS to the purchased one. Take all the stock stuff from the purchased one and put it on the one that is totaled out because of the frame damage and let the insurance company have it. Take you $16k and put it toward what you paid for the acquired sling. You are not cheating the insurance company because they are only wanting to pay you for a stock sling right? You might even be interested in buying it back like the post above suggested. If you chose to do that and have it repaired by a fabricator it would likely be fine for the life of the vehicle. If you did decide to sell it down the road you would need to make the buyer aware and make sure you sell it "as is where is". just a thought

I seen the complete bodies of two of these swapped out in a very short time frame at a luncheon during SSITS. What you need done could likely be done in a day if you got the right members together. jes sayin

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
2,333 Posts

Silly question maybe but if only the front tire struck the wall how did it bend the frame ?

I have seen a front tire completely ripped from a Sling from a high speed impact with no frame damage ..... the suspension parts are much weaker than the frame ...

...... o_O

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
#3. You could do some shopping around and find another sling the same model. Purchase said sling and have a "garage day" and get some fellow slingers to swap everything over from your SS to the purchased one. Take all the stock stuff from the purchased one and put it on the one that is totaled out because of the frame damage and let the insurance company have it. Take you $16k and put it toward what you paid for the acquired sling. You are not cheating the insurance company because they are only wanting to pay you for a stock sling right? You might even be interested in buying it back like the post above suggested. If you chose to do that and have it repaired by a fabricator it would likely be fine for the life of the vehicle. If you did decide to sell it down the road you would need to make the buyer aware and make sure you sell it "as is where is". just a thought

I seen the complete bodies of two of these swapped out in a very short time frame at a luncheon during SSITS. What you need done could likely be done in a day if you got the right members together. jes sayin
Would be neat to have a slide show/movie of that transformation...
fun to watch in person.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm not familiar with the rules in Nevada but here is my experience. I had a '15 with about 3500 miles on it when I was rear ended in Vancouver, Washington. I took it to a dealer in nearby Portland, OR. Their tech explained to me that he saw minor frame damage and if I repaired it, it would be classified as a salvage title in WA. If I lived in OR, I could repair the frame without branding the title. He basically gave me the choice how to pursue the claim. I decided to total the rig, got a fair settlement through my insurance company (not the drunk driver's), bought it back for salvage value, and sold it to a forum member who wanted to rebuild it. If I did not have adequate coverage I would have had no problem putting it back together. The 'frame damage' was minimal but with the part cost plus labor to remove and replace every other part of the rig, it becomes a total based on dollars. Check your state laws to determine title status after repair to make a valid decision.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Show pics of the exact damage. I have some extra front frame stuff at my house. Maybe I can help somehow.

Reactions: WingShot

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, loved seeing your sling in Vegas.
How much did the dealer say a new chassis with the same vin# was going to cost (including labor)?

·
Registered
393 Posts
2018-06-19 04_11_28-Window.png
@laudes1216 please please please ,, listen to what @SlingLow is telling you . , In most States any motorcycle(or autocycle built by a motorcycle manufacturer, Polaris) is absolutely worthless if branded salvage (parts only value) While all cars branded Salvage can be rebranded ''rebuilt'' after being properly repaired. and structurally certified by a qualified Structural Recertification Center, This does not apply to motorcycles. The reason being, all car manufacturers publish their frame or unibody dimensions so that they can be repaired by the Auto Body industry who has access to these dimensions by subscribing through the Chilton Collision Spec system or similar. A structural Recertification Center must print out the original manufacturers spec then print out the repaired specs as confirmed by their approx. $ 30,000.00 3D calibrated measuring systems , then the licensed qualified body man must sign that the repaired frame or unibody is within the original maufacturers specs by the tolerance allowed.. Nobody can certify that a motorcycle has been repaired or replaced with a new frame to original manufacturers specs as no motorcycle manufacturers publish their numbers which must be submitted as part of the recertification process, hence a bent frame on any motorcycle branded salvage title means that title can never be put back on the road again. Even a polaris dealer selling you a new frame cannot remedy your salvage title issues. How do I know this, take a close look at the shop in the background of all my home page photos. Kemko Auto Body not only rebuilds hundreds of salvage titles a year but is also one of South Western Ontarios largest structural recertification shops

With two hydraulic frame racks and two different computerized 3 D measuring systems their isn't a unibody or full framed vehicle that kemko cant rebuild, its all just a matter of feasibility and in the case of a motorcycle, branding requirements that cant be met. As far as the cost to repair the minor frame damage in such a low speed incident where it would probably just consist of a bent or ripped suspension mounting tab welded to the side of the frame rail or possibly a small kink or bend in a tubular member your looking at probably a $1,000.00 give or take Then the cost of any bent control arm or suspension parts.

So please friend, get that vehicle away from that dealership and any insurance claim as fast as humanly possible before the insurance industry brands it salvage. And they will if there is a single tab bent , it doesn't have to be the actual frame bent . As you have stated the insured value is only $16,000.00 so it is irrelevant to them how much additional you have in mods, They absolutely will write it off because the Polaris dealer will quote them approx. $6,000.00 alone for a new frame then at least a few grand more for the labour to swap it out so just for financial reasons alone, that's considered a write off on a $16,000.00 vehicle and the insurance adjuster is required by State law to report and declare any bent frame . even just a simple attachment tab bent , as a salvage title, and interestingly enough they are required to do this upon being notified of that estimate regardless of whether or not they ever pay out the claim or take possession of the write off.
So Please, Run Don't Walk to that dealer and tell him a flat bed is on the way to pick up your Sling and get it out of there before you end up with a branded salvage title. You can then source out a capable fabricator or collision center in your area to do the minor frame repairs and a guy like @TravAZ can probably help too. Absolutely worse case scenario you can ship it to me and For a few thousand bucks (shipping included ) your nightmare is over .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts