Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying my first slingshot tomorrow.
Need help. the dealer has a 2020 sl auto drive and a 2021 auto drive.
Did they change style of the gear box to fix the shifting problem in the 2021 or just the tune?
I get different answers from everyone. Hopefully someone can clarify it here?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i believe it is changes in the programming for the shifting. I have the auto drive 2020 LE And there is an upgrade to the new programming of the 2021 for free I believe. I also plan on putting the paddle shifter upgrade like the 2021. If you go 2020 make sure they throw the programming in before you take it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i believe it is changes in the programming for the shifting. I have the auto drive 2020 LE And there is an upgrade to the new programming of the 2021 for free I believe. I also plan on putting the paddle shifter upgrade like the 2021. If you go 2020 make sure they throw the programming in before you take it.
I Read for 2021 they have a whole new gear box.....That is what confuses me.
If it is true and they have whole new gear box for 2021 i would want it.
If it is the same as 2020 i really don't car on the year.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
If one model has the color and options you want, go for that model. Color is generally the most expensive thing to change. If the 2021 is the S model with AutoDrive the money saved over buying a 2020 SL model may fund a significant amount of desired mods such as a better sound system compared to what Polaris offers. The 2021 AutoDrive software changes are free for upgrading the 2020 AutoDrive units and will make the 2020 perform like the 2021 models. Adding the Performance Tune (around $800, IIRC) will also boost engine performance for the S or SL models to the 203 HP available on the R model. Basically, all of the upgrade options available for the 2021 models can be added to the 2020 models.

·
Registered
2015 2JZ swapped
439 Posts
The transmissions are the same. It's a re-flash of the TCM that will make the shifting smoother like the 2021's. The dealer should be updating all the 2020's at N/C for the customers. At least we will be. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did they change style of the gear box to fix the shifting problem in the 2021 or just the tune?
I had a 2020 R auto and I now have a 2021 R auto and the 2021 is much better. Smoother shifting with the 2021 R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wasn't available when i owned the auto, I bought the 2020 auto last August and traded it for the 2020 manual in October and I traded it for the 2021 auto last month.
I was all gungho to buy one last week now i am having second thoughts.
Can't buy a manual for other reasons.
I have had two dealers tell me they are a whole new design in 2021,
But i also had one tell me they were the same.
Hard to get a strait answer.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
The 2020 AutoDrive reportedly shifted somewhat abruptly, but the new 2021 programming is reported to shift much more smoothly. Keep in mind that the AutoDrive transmission is the same manual transmission used in the Slingshot with the manual clutch being replaced by the AutoDrive shifting mechanism controlling the gear-changing process. Polaris simply updated the AutoDrive software. Ifbyou find a 2020 Slingshotbwith the color and options you want at a price you like, go for it as the main differences between the 2020 and 2021 model yearscare color and software enhancements.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 2020 AutoDrive reportedly shifted somewhat abruptly, but the new 2021 programming is reported to shift much more smoothly. Keep in mind that the AutoDrive transmission is the same manual transmission used in the Slingshot with the manual clutch being replaced by the AutoDrive shifting mechanism controlling the gear-changing process. Polaris simply updated the AutoDrive software. Ifbyou find a 2020 Slingshotbwith the color and options you want at a price you like, go for it as the main differences between the 2020 and 2021 model yearscare color and software enhancements.
I have the 2020 AutoDrive and it works well for me, but to be clear on what @BKL was saying, you have a free reprogramming for the 2020's to the new 2021 shifting. Even though I do not have any problems I will be getting it done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I owned a 2020 R auto and i now own a 2021 R auto, the 2021 shifts a lot smoother and is not as jerky as my 20 was at low driving like in a parking lot looking for a parking spot. The paddle shifter is very handy to use in town.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
And, IIRC, the Paddle Shifters can be added to the 2020 as well. If I could afford to buy a new Slingshot, I'd buy the 2021 Base model with AutoDrive and then add the Performane Tune and Paddle Shifter. This setup will provide the pewrformance of the R model and will cost less than a 2021 SL and still leave money left over to add my own aftermarket audio system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently took my 2020 SL Autodrive in for the Oil recall ! The mechanic also said they were doing software updates ! When the vehicle was returned to me the mechanic said there was a delay in moving from a stop that did not exist before ! Quite noticeable ! The shifting is much better though and no more clunking at the stop lights ! Idle seems lower now too ! Had the 6 quart oil and dipstick and pcv valve work done !

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently took my 2020 SL Autodrive in for the Oil recall ! The mechanic also said they were doing software updates ! When the vehicle was returned to me the mechanic said there was a delay in moving from a stop that did not exist before ! Quite noticeable ! The shifting is much better though and no more clunking at the stop lights ! Idle seems lower now too ! Had the 6 quart oil and dipstick and pcv valve work done !
The difference in 2020 to 2021 appears to be only the software !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts