Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying my first slingshot tomorrow.
Need help. the dealer has a 2020 sl auto drive and a 2021 auto drive.
Did they change style of the gear box to fix the shifting problem in the 2021 or just the tune?
I get different answers from everyone. Hopefully someone can clarify it here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i believe it is changes in the programming for the shifting. I have the auto drive 2020 LE And there is an upgrade to the new programming of the 2021 for free I believe. I also plan on putting the paddle shifter upgrade like the 2021. If you go 2020 make sure they throw the programming in before you take it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe it is changes in the programming for the shifting. I have the auto drive 2020 LE And there is an upgrade to the new programming of the 2021 for free I believe. I also plan on putting the paddle shifter upgrade like the 2021. If you go 2020 make sure they throw the programming in before you take it.
I Read for 2021 they have a whole new gear box.....That is what confuses me.
If it is true and they have whole new gear box for 2021 i would want it.
If it is the same as 2020 i really don't car on the year.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
If one model has the color and options you want, go for that model. Color is generally the most expensive thing to change. If the 2021 is the S model with AutoDrive the money saved over buying a 2020 SL model may fund a significant amount of desired mods such as a better sound system compared to what Polaris offers. The 2021 AutoDrive software changes are free for upgrading the 2020 AutoDrive units and will make the 2020 perform like the 2021 models. Adding the Performance Tune (around $800, IIRC) will also boost engine performance for the S or SL models to the 203 HP available on the R model. Basically, all of the upgrade options available for the 2021 models can be added to the 2020 models.

·
Registered
2015 2JZ swapped
431 Posts
The transmissions are the same. It's a re-flash of the TCM that will make the shifting smoother like the 2021's. The dealer should be updating all the 2020's at N/C for the customers. At least we will be. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will be buying my first slingshot tomorrow.
Need help. the dealer has a 2020 sl auto drive and a 2021 auto drive.
Did they change style of the gear box to fix the shifting problem in the 2021 or just the tune?
I get different answers from everyone. Hopefully someone can clarify it here?
I had a 2020 R auto and I now have a 2021 R auto and the 2021 is much better. Smoother shifting with the 2021 R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts