Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
The fun never seems to end with this. Trying to get the rear view camera to come on the Clarion CMS5 automatically when going into reverse.

I connected the white wire going into the rear light housing (the +12v for the reverse lights), to the purple camera trigger wire on the CMS5 harness. Both the product manual and installation manual specify the trigger wire needs a +12v source. However, it's backwards.... now the rear camera comes on when NOT in reverse, and goes back to radio view when in reverse.
Camera1.JPG

Camera2.JPG

Anyone run across this?

·
Registered
293 Posts
OK, it's not the radio's fault; it's handling the signal correctly.

I spliced into the white REV-4 wire, and I'm getting +12v when NOT in reverse, but no voltage when the white reverse lights come on. Why isn't that the opposite?

Capture4.JPG

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Without seeing the entire schematic, I'm not sure. But could they be doing a positive ground into this part for some odd reason and method? Could you try tapping into pin #2 and see what voltage you have there (if any) and when?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The rear lamp has only one power wire going to it. Each part of the lamp is turned on by providing a ground from the corresponding switch whether it be the brake switch or the reverse switch etc. The voltage measured at the white wire when not in reverse is back feed through the light. You will need a relay to trigger the CMS5 with 12v+ for reverse as it being a marine unit it is set up to be triggered with a dash switch.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Without seeing the entire schematic, I'm not sure. But could they be doing a positive ground into this part for some odd reason and method? Could you try tapping into pin #2 and see what voltage you have there (if any) and when?
Eh, I've got the back end all buttoned back up, and that's still the only wire back there I can signal from, so I'll just have to leave it. I just can't believe I'm the first to run into this issue. I didn't want that wire to be live all the time, but I'll go get a relay to fix it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
image.jpg No need to cut the factory harness or take apart anything in the back. Make a jumper harness like this minus the black diode and plug it in at the transmission. Use the pigtail to control the relay on/off for the reverse signal.

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,314 Posts
Eh, I've got the back end all buttoned back up, and that's still the only wire back there I can signal from, so I'll just have to leave it. I just can't believe I'm the first to run into this issue. I didn't want that wire to be live all the time, but I'll go get a relay to fix it.
You aren't the first. @ClarionMike and I both have explained in our system build threads that the wire you connected to is a negative trigger. As stated before a relay would be needed to use that wire. Hella makes a nice waterpoof model.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine's working... even with just a SPST:
86 & 87- bridged by a jumper and connected to switched (+) power (green/red wire in the original SL harness).
85- Connected to the white (-) wire from one of the the reverse lights.
30- Connected to the CMS5 purple (+) camera trigger wire.

I tell you, though, all that work to get the backup camera to come on in reverse... in most cases, will be a waste. From the time the ignition is turned on to the time the backup camera view is first available is 40 seconds. I will typically already be pulled out and gone by then. Not that I'd be able to see the screen in daylight anyway.

My stereo finally sounds great. But it took a lot of money and aggravation... new front pods and speakers, new side pods and speakers, amplifier (trying three different ones), new head unit (Clarion CMS5), bezel to hold the display, not to mention wiring, connectors, heat management materials. I'm using a 1000w (yeah, right) Soundstream ST4-1000D amplifier, so I don't know how the CMS5 sounds without an amp, but I imagine still a good deal better than the stock unit.

So, even though I couldn't get the $2200 stock unit to sound to my standards, I miss that it was only a few seconds to boot up, and the reverse image was available immediately. I also miss the feature of automatic volume based on ambient noise (adaptive sound level, whatever they called that). It sucks to have to constantly turn it down and back up at the stoplights to avoid being rude and obnoxious with the tunes. I hated the the stock unit couldn't shuffle music on a USB... that's a stupid problem to have in 2016, to be stuck listening to songs in the same order forever, so happy the CMS5 does that.

The CMS5 is nice, BUT, the main disappointment for me is that it's SLOW. My God, how much money did they save by using surplus 8-bit 6502 Commodore 64 possessing chips? Turning the knob to scan a menu, it can't keep up, and will keep on scrolling after your hand is no longer turning the knob. It makes it very frustrating to land on the function you want. And just forget about scanning for radio stations, unless you've previously done this and saved them off as presets... too slow to be usable. I wish it was more configurable, to take source inputs out of the menu you don't plan to use; it would make it easier to deal with the slow performance. They should be ashamed of bringing it to market with such slow performance. The display brightness is also sad. Yes, where it sits in the Slingshot without a roof makes almost anything hard to see. but being designed with boats in mind, more consideration should have been given to view-ability in the daylight. Although it has daytime and nighttime viewing modes, it is also missing what I consider to be the most basic feature of switching between these automatically. Do you really think I'm going to try and navigate those slow-ass menus to manually set this every day?

I finally have a decent sound system in my Slingshot, but in many ways, the CMS5 still feels about 10 years behind the times. Here's a couple of pictures. Everything fit nicely behind the display. I tend to play off a USB; you can see where I ran the USB port easily accessible out of the console by the driver's right knee.

0411161727da.jpg
0411161728a.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
how did you connect video to the factory harness did you cut and splice sorry new here I have the clarion and factory back up camera I want to hook it up slingmods said they where making a cable but never did it

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
how did you connect video to the factory harness did you cut and splice sorry new here I have the clarion and factory back up camera I want to hook it up slingmods said they where making a cable but never did it
I did not have a stock camera so I used the cable that came with the camera I purchased. I did not use a reverse trigger I added a switch to the dash so I could turn it on at any time. I think you can run a trigger to the reverse wire on the tranny.
I also added a front camera using one of the Aux ports.

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 52884 No need to cut the factory harness or take apart anything in the back. Make a jumper harness like this minus the black diode and plug it in at the transmission. Use the pigtail to control the relay on/off for the reverse signal.
Ok I've been deep into the wiring for a new head unit. Is it fair to say I can just t tap the white wire to my aftermarket reverse wire? I have my dash apart. I disconnected that transmission reverse switch cable and only want to mess with it once. It has a two pin connector one white wire one black. 15844147912406660754240640993088.jpg

Attachments

41 - 56 of 56 Posts