Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife and I are taking our Slingshot from NC to Utah and back in a few weeks. Are there members that can assist on informing me if there is a helmet required in the states we will be passing through? I know all the safety issues about not wearing one, so if you could leave that out..... Passing through: TENNESSEE, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, NEW MEXICO, ARIZONA, UTAH, COLORADO, NEBRASKA, KANSAS, ILLINOIS and INDIANA.
A friend informed that Missouri does not require a helmet, so I have that one! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Not needed in TX unless you are under 18 or 21 (forget which). Always wonder about the seatbelt though. Not sure what the rule is on seatbelts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife and I are taking our Slingshot from NC to Utah and back in a few weeks. Are there members that can assist on informing me if there is a helmet required in the states we will be passing through? I know all the safety issues about not wearing one, so if you could leave that out..... Passing through: TENNESSEE, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, NEW MEXICO, ARIZONA, UTAH, COLORADO, NEBRASKA, KANSAS, ILLINOIS and INDIANA.
A friend informed that Missouri does not require a helmet, so I have that one! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Tickets are being issued in Clarksville Tn for not wearing a helmet. We will be going to Clarksville Saturday and wearing our helmets during the time we are there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arizona does not require a helmet. Have a safe and fun ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks everyone! I think I now have all the info i need. I really appreciate the members from those states chiming in. We leave NC on June 16th. So, if you see a black and orange SS towing a Bunkhouse motorcycle trailer somewhere in those states...it's us! Beep and wave!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m new with a slingshot. What do you do if it rains? Probably a stupid question?
Seriously though, if you get caught in the rain, the first thing you do is reach for the switch and turn your traction/stability control OFF! Standing water on the road could end your trip real quick.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can google it and get a list of all the states that require one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You can google it and get a list of all the states that require one.
Yeah, but not all statres consider the Slingshot motorcycles and it seems like the info you get through Google refers to motorcycles.... Searching for exemptions for Auotcycles is a pain. I was hoping members who live in those states could answer with authority. And, it seems to have happened that way. We are leaving in 13 days and can't wait to see the country from the seat of our SS!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Google auto cycle helmet law for the state you want.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I've ridden many miles in all parts of TN and only once have a couple of us been stopped by the Leo's and some fun conversation about the Slingshot he asked us to please put on our helmets and down the road we went. Even got some fun photos with him. When riding in a state where there is a question have a helmet in the Slingshot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, my wife and I put 6,500 miles on our SS doing our trip. We had a blast! We found that our SS doesn't like the less than 93 octane gas we found out West. There was a noticeable power loss only burning 91 octane. I did buy a couple of cans of octane boost, but that didn't really seem to work.... Also, we found that driving in heavy rain in the mountains was not much fun.... Lastly, a spring came off our muffler somehow. You WILL notice that the first time you shut the SS off or start it afterwards. It makes a rapping sound like you have a rod ready to go through the engine. A great dealer in Colorado Springs put it back on for us and refused to charge us for doing so! Great service. Of course, it did take a week of thorough...make that very, very thorough cleaning to get all the dust out of the interior of our Sling. Wow, I didn't know there were so many nooks and crannies in that machine.
Never needed the helmets... I spoke with a Tennessee highway patrol officer at a gas pump and he said as long as you are on an interstate highway in his state, the chance of being stopped for a helmet violation is slim to none. It's only when you are on local roads that the local officers may give me a hard time. So, a great trip and thanks to everyone that responded to this thread!

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Well, my wife and I put 6,500 miles on our SS doing our trip. We had a blast! We found that our SS doesn't like the less than 93 octane gas we found out West. There was a noticeable power loss only burning 91 octane. I did buy a couple of cans of octane boost, but that didn't really seem to work.... Also, we found that driving in heavy rain in the mountains was not much fun.... Lastly, a spring came off our muffler somehow. You WILL notice that the first time you shut the SS off or start it afterwards. It makes a rapping sound like you have a rod ready to go through the engine. A great dealer in Colorado Springs put it back on for us and refused to charge us for doing so! Great service. Of course, it did take a week of thorough...make that very, very thorough cleaning to get all the dust out of the interior of our Sling. Wow, I didn't know there were so many nooks and crannies in that machine.
Never needed the helmets... I spoke with a Tennessee highway patrol officer at a gas pump and he said as long as you are on an interstate highway in his state, the chance of being stopped for a helmet violation is slim to none. It's only when you are on local roads that the local officers may give me a hard time. So, a great trip and thanks to everyone that responded to this thread!
Thanks for the update ... sounds like a great trip. A reminder to all --- wet roads all
'nannies' OFF.

Ride Safe

21 - 39 of 39 Posts