Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are taking our Slingshot from NC to Utah and back in a few weeks. Are there members that can assist on informing me if there is a helmet required in the states we will be passing through? I know all the safety issues about not wearing one, so if you could leave that out..... Passing through: TENNESSEE, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, NEW MEXICO, ARIZONA, UTAH, COLORADO, NEBRASKA, KANSAS, ILLINOIS and INDIANA.
A friend informed that Missouri does not require a helmet, so I have that one! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
TN I don't wear one. The law to me says not required and I've never been pulled over. There is a little debate here because some of the laws are a little ambiguous (imagine that).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TN I don't wear one. The law to me says not required and I've never been pulled over. There is a little debate here because some of the laws are a little ambiguous (imagine that).
Thanks for the TN info. A few more states to hear from....

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
147 Posts
I was pulled over last summer at the Dragon Tail look out. That is on the Tn. side. Fortunately, we had our novelty helmets behind our seats and were left with only a warning.
I would check from true sources and not rely on hearsay.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's not hearsay. I have the law printed in my glovebox. I just know there are some cops who interpret it differently. I'm willing to go to court over it I just hope I never have to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, but this is out of date. NC, my home state passed an exception to the helmet law for Slingshots (Autocycle) 18 months ago or so..... I noticed others were also out of date. I was hoping SS owners from the states I listed would have the best knowledge since they ride there daily....

·
Registered
20 Posts
No helmet law in Arizona, but they'll pull you for other things, like having too many lights on the front of your Sling turned on while driving and also Arizona just passed a 100% hands free law against cell phone use, unless your parked or stopped at red light, etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife and I are taking our Slingshot from NC to Utah and back in a few weeks. Are there members that can assist on informing me if there is a helmet required in the states we will be passing through? I know all the safety issues about not wearing one, so if you could leave that out..... Passing through: TENNESSEE, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, NEW MEXICO, ARIZONA, UTAH, COLORADO, NEBRASKA, KANSAS, ILLINOIS and INDIANA.
A friend informed that Missouri does not require a helmet, so I have that one! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
I’m new with a slingshot. What do you do if it rains? Probably a stupid question?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also live in NC and do not have issues w/out helmet.
We rode to southern IN 2 years ago and wore helmet thru VA, WV and KY.
On way back we did not wear.
Indiana is not needed.
Kentucky, not sure.

In VA we passed several police on the I-77/ Blueridge parkway, but did not get pulled.
Could be because we have the slingshade top and a full windscreen (custom made at a Lexan shop in Winston Salem).
Kentucky

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get wet, what else?
When we took a multi state trip, we got rained on 3 times. We limped to a gas station to park under the canopy until rain passed. We have a skingshade and full lexan windscreen, but the water comes in and no matter how many times we wax the lexan, it still is hard to see thru. Plus the fogging up on inside was what caused us to stop.
That july rain is ok, but in the wind, you get cold!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My renters (2 based in NC) go into TN all the time - the slingshot with a roof - no problems. The one with no roof gets pulled every single time and told to put helmets on.

·
Registered
5 Posts

1 - 20 of 39 Posts