Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It wont replace my motorcycle or my car, but it is a great addition to the stable. My first impression was "this thing is cool" after driving it "this thing is cool and fun"
I did my walk around to check some of the items others have issues with, but overall it was pretty good condition. I checked the build date to find a late bloomer of Dec, build so I think some of the issues are better condition or fixed on mine.
The paint had a few very minor contaminated clear coat spots and a drip here and there, I am kinda anal about paint issues and it didnt bother me. The plastics are very typical with a razor leaving a cheaper look to it rather than some colored tupperware like motorcycles use.
My steering wheel was 12noon and everything was tight and screwed down with all the pieces aligning good.
The motor runs good, I didnt notice the rev up on mine but something is weird between shifts and revving it up. It has good power in 3 gears and does pull in 4th with 5th as overdrive.
It steers and handles very good for a unit this size making it a treat to drive.
It can only get better from here and it aint to shabby right now!
WingShot

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It wont replace my motorcycle or my car, but it is a great addition to the stable. My first impression was "this thing is cool" after driving it "this thing is cool and fun"
I did my walk around to check some of the items others have issues with, but overall it was pretty good condition. I checked the build date to find a late bloomer of Dec, build so I think some of the issues are better condition or fixed on mine.
The paint had a few very minor contaminated clear coat spots and a drip here and there, I am kinda anal about paint issues and it didnt bother me. The plastics are very typical with a razor leaving a cheaper look to it rather than some colored tupperware like motorcycles use.
My steering wheel was strait
How about the tendency to want to die downshifting into first gear coming to a stop?

·
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the tendency to want to die downshifting into first gear coming to a stop?
It does have a quirky tendency to want to drop the rpms down when clutch is pushed in. I think if your sitting and push the clutch in and rev it up it gets quirky when it slows to idle. Im sure an ECM reflash will solve a lot of that. But it wasnt anything I couldnt live with till they fix it.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It does have a quirky tendency to want to drop the rpms down when clutch is pushed in. I think if your sitting and push the clutch in and rev it up it gets quirky when it slows to idle. Im sure an ECM reflash will solve a lot of that. But it wasnt anything I couldnt live with till they fix it.
That's a bit surprising in light of your late build. I would have thought it would have been addressed on the line by this date. Mine is on the way from dealer number one to dealer number two, and my vin indicates a mid October build date, so I guess I'll be ready for it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My steering wheel was 12noon and everything was tight and screwed down with all the pieces aligning good.
The motor runs good, I didnt notice the rev up on mine but something is weird between shifts and revving it up. It has good power in 3 gears and does pull in 4th with 5th as overdrive.
It steers and handles very good for a unit this size making it a treat to drive.
WingShot
You have the first December build unit posted on the forum. It is good to know that finally Polaris is shipping December units. What date did you get it and what are the last four digits of the VIN? I am trying to keep a record of this sort of thing to understand number of units built per month. We already know about 1,500 to 1,550 units were built from August to end of November. It would be interesting to know if production increased or decreased during December. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You have the first December build unit posted on the forum. It is good to know that finally Polaris is shipping December units. What date did you get it and what are the last four digits of the VIN? I am trying to keep a record of this sort of thing to understand number of units built per month. We already know about 1,500 to 1,550 units were built from August to end of November. It would be interesting to know if production increased or decreased during December. Thanks in advance.
It does not matter whether they increase or decrease production. Lots of us has been waiting for a while with deposit for a couple of months and have not received our Slingshots yet. I know that they are mostly shipping the SL models out than the Titanium ones. Now they are saying that they will ship the rest by the end of Dec. I think that most of the employees have vacation or shutdown during holiday season. Anyways, have a very Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It does not matter whether they increase or decrease production. Lots of us has been waiting for a while with deposit for a couple of months and have not received our Slingshots yet. I know that they are mostly shipping the SL models out than the Titanium ones. Now they are saying that they will ship the rest by the end of Dec. I think that most of the employees have vacation or shutdown during holiday season. Anyways, have a very Merry Christmas.
At the rate they are going at present it difficult to think they will finish by the end of December. It is less than 10 days. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
WingShot
What is the last 4-digits of your VIN. It is most interesting because if is the first December build reported.

·
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the last 4-digits of your VIN. It is most interesting because if is the first December build reported.
Sorry FJ I kept forgetting to get the papers out of my office and had a a lot going on for Xmas, and when I sat down with my puter, I was too comfy to get up and go to the garrage. Its only 30 F here.
Anyway here is last four :1756

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The last four of my VIN is 1140. How does that tell you the build date?
@G-Man
The the last four digits themselves can not calculate the month built... But we know from the report of VIN by forum members that November is from VIN 1105 to 1534 so that would put you in November...

1) The following is a summary of the VINs per month...
August from VIN 090 to 188
September from VIN 194 to 522
October from VIN 605 to 1024
November from VIN 1105 to 1534
December VIN 1756 (only one reported)

2) Estimate number of Units manufactured per month...
August 190
September 350
October 550
November 500
Total 1,590

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Still waiting on mine. Just guessing but it sounds like maybe 200 - 300 have been delivered so far, so number of units built is not the holdup.

Wonder if it's transportation limitations or waiting for you Beta testers to find the bugs that is the holdup? Hope I'm wrong but I'm not feeling like Polaris will make good on the 'Delivery of all pre orders by end of year' promise.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sorry FJ I kept forgetting to get the papers out of my office and had a a lot going on for Xmas, and when I sat down with my puter, I was too comfy to get up and go to the garrage. Its only 30 F here.
Anyway here is last four :1756
Thanks for the information...That's interesting because 1756 is a higher number than I was expecting... That number would indicate not the first week of December but sometime during the second week of December... This would mean that your SL was made less than two weeks ago... It would be interesting to know if your SL contains improvements or does it have the same issues being reported on the forum??? Such as the high REV reported in majority of units, alinement of plastic panels, edges ruff to the touch, etc... It would be interesting to all if you would report back your findings....

·
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the information...That's interesting because 1756 is a higher number than I was expecting... That number would indicate not the first week of December but sometime during the second week of December... This would mean that your SL was made less than two weeks ago... It would be interesting to know if your SL contains improvements or does it have the same issues being reported on the forum??? Such as the high REV reported in majority of units, alinement of plastic panels, edges ruff to the touch, etc... It would be interesting to all if you would report back your findings....
I have only looked at 3 SS and mine is better on the edges being cleaner than the first shipments, but still some minor issues with clearcoat, mine had a couple areas with very slight contamination causing pinhead size bubbles, Painter believes it can be sanded and buffed by a professional to keep from going through the clearcoat.
I didnt experience the high rev syndrome and only have a couple hundred miles on her, but I posted earlier it has a quirkyness in the throttle that wants to rev down rather than up.
The alignment of plastic was pretty decent and everything seemed tight.
I will be at my Florida home first of year and we can meet up at chrome road and head to key largo for lunch.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I was kinda hoping to get a 9 out of 10 report from you but maybe that wont happen until 2nd generation or so...It is what it is a great fun machine with a few issues yet to be worked out... I would love to head off to Key Largo let's see if schedule will allow I am currently working in the north most part of the state...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have only looked at 3 SS and mine is better on the edges being cleaner than the first shipments, but still some minor issues with clearcoat, mine had a couple areas with very slight contamination causing pinhead size bubbles, Painter believes it can be sanded and buffed by a professional to keep from going through the clearcoat.
I didnt experience the high rev syndrome and only have a couple hundred miles on her, but I posted earlier it has a quirkyness in the throttle that wants to rev down rather than up.
The alignment of plastic was pretty decent and everything seemed tight.
I will be at my Florida home first of year and we can meet up at chrome road and head to key largo for lunch.
How is your gear noise?

·
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How is your gear noise?
I do hear a noise but is it belt noise or gear noise? I think its belt noise.
To me it sounds like a blower whining, its not that loud and adds to the rawness of the vehicle. It has an unlimited mileage warranty, so drive it and see how it goes, but by all means if it sounds out of character make sure you take it by the dealer for a listen or drive a demo to compare if your not sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I picked up mine Sat Dec.20th. It is SN# 1875 and I have ALL the known issues, Rough edges, bubbles in the speedo/tach, Steering wheel out of alignment, Rear end make LOTS of noise so I don't think they have improved the QC at ALL......

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I picked up mine Sat Dec.20th. It is SN# 1875 and I have ALL the known issues, Rough edges, bubbles in the speedo/tach, Steering wheel out of alignment, Rear end make LOTS of noise so I don't think they have improved the QC at ALL......
@Fast Eddie
I agree with you... Your VIN 1875 was actually built a week or no more than two weeks ago... One would expect it to be improved if Polaris is listening to all the comments on this forum during the past 4 to 6 weeks...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts