Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took a delivery of SL today after a gentleman who decided to back out after he realized the SS was too difficult for him to get in and out due to his age and size.
Drove home in a light rain here we typically get in Western WA. Front windshield kept me dry from the cold rain.
I felt little uneasy on the road. It just didn't felt stable and I could hear a constant whining noise what appeared to be from the rear wheel or the transmission. It became very annoying toward the end of 40 miles trip back home. I heard a similar noise on some of the videos on youtube. Stability control light came on twice and it remained on for a while. According to the manual it means stability control malfunction. I was able to get the rear end loose very easily on the wet pavement. It felt like neither of the traction control and stability control was working....
Quality control could use little more attention. Misaligned steering column and (plastic covers), little air bubbles on the outer edge of the instrument cluster. Poor welding on some parts of the frame and the driver seat was slightly crooked. I've looked at the second SS and it was the same.
It was fun ride home but It just felt different....... I may need to out some miles on it to see ...

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only had 1.9 miles on the SL when i picked it up. I wonder if polaris did any sort of test drive or dyno / tuning prior to shipping out.

Stereo sounds bitchin and Bluetooth media player is awesome. No more cable.. I do see a lot of potential for this vehicle... carbon fiber panels... there is a huge space next to the seats for possible custom speaker enclosures or additional compartments.

oh and break does suck big time.... sticky type convex mirrors are going to be my first mod because as it is side mirrors are pretty useless. very limited movement.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nowhere near their first year production of vehicles, just this model.... ALL of which have seats, welds, and steering. Polaris has been doing this for quite sometime.

·
Registered
792 Posts
From Polaris website. **Note the part about wet conditions...

SLINGSHOT™ IS A THREE-WHEELED MOTORCYCLE. IT IS NOT AN AUTOMOBILE, IT DOES NOT HAVE AIRBAGS, AND IT DOES NOT MEET AUTOMOTIVE SAFETY STANDARDS. THREE WHEEL VEHICLES MAY HANDLE DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHER VEHICLES, ESPECIALLY IN WET CONDITIONS. ALWAYS WEAR DOT APPROVED FULL FACE HELMET AND FASTEN SEAT BELTS. DRIVER MAY NEED A VALID MOTORCYCLE ENDORSEMENT. DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE. ©2014 POLARIS INDUSTRIES INC.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nowhere near their first year production of vehicles, just this model.... ALL of which have seats, welds, and steering. Polaris has been doing this for quite sometime.
Uh, yeah, thats the point, first year for this model.
Ok Stan, I know you have examined so many of these as they went out the door I should just ignore an owners observations.
I appreciate the way you sweep up after all my posts, keep up the good work!

Heck, I think we have 4 owners and 2 of them have to go back to the dealer for something or another.
Im sure the percentage will fall, but...just an early observation which supports my post.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Absolutely! I think you're ten times snappier than me. Good wit usually means plenty of gray matter on board!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
So I took a delivery of SL today after a gentleman who decided to back out after he realized the SS was too difficult for him to get in and out due to his age and size.
Drove home in a light rain here we typically get in Western WA. Front windshield kept me dry from the cold rain.
I felt little uneasy on the road. It just didn't felt stable and I could hear a constant whining noise what appeared to be from the rear wheel or the transmission. It became very annoying toward the end of 40 miles trip back home. I heard a similar noise on some of the videos on youtube. Stability control light came on twice and it remained on for a while. According to the manual it means stability control malfunction. I was able to get the rear end loose very easily on the wet pavement. It felt like neither of the traction control and stability control was working....
Quality control could use little more attention. Misaligned steering column and (plastic covers), little air bubbles on the outer edge of the instrument cluster. Poor welding on some parts of the frame and the driver seat was slightly crooked. I've looked at the second SS and it was the same.
It was fun ride home but It just felt different....... I may need to out some miles on it to see ...

Glad to see you got yours. Would you mind posting pictures of the defects? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Would like to see some pictures as well. Specifically the welding and air bubbles. For those of us with lots of snow on the ground it will be tough to take it for a serious test ride before purchasing. That could be a problem for some.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you ever ridden a reverse trike ??????
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle with belt drive ?????

When I first purchased my Spyder it took a few hundred miles to get used to. They ride and track unlike no other. Like the Spyder, the Slinshot's are very light in the rear, so it will want to break loose in the rear. Give it some seat time.

The whining could be the belt. It is called belt harmonics. Have them check the tension.

Just guessing but...... when the vss light came on it, it most likely was engaging and doing it's job.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Uh, yeah, thats the point, first year for this model.
Ok Stan.........
Heck, I think we have 4 owners and 2 of them have to go back to the dealer for something or another.
Im sure the percentage will fall, but...just an early observation which supports my post.
Five (5) forum members to date have taken possession of the SS.

1) SlingMods 11-16-14 CA
2) SlingShot 1 11-18-14 4pm FL
3) String 11-18-14 5:15pm. NH
4) Todd 11-19-14 WA
5) infostrada748 11-20-14 WA

If you know of others please let me know.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts