Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just like many of you, I have enjoyed reading the reviews of others that have taken possession of their Slingshot over the past couple of weeks. However, I wondered what an 'average' Joe would think ... that is, someone like me that does not consider to be wrapped up in cars per se on a daily basis; rather, merely someone that appreciates cars and cool body styles - considered a Ferrari (albeit used) one time but felt that was way too ostentatious, is a perfectionist in many ways (I get hung up on even in the most tiny imperfections on a new car!), but neither has a clue nor the desire to change oil or understand the intricacies found under the hood. So, here is my story to share for those that has a similar profile.

I picked up my SL today from Iron Pony Motorsports in Columbus, OH. The sales crew at this dealership was phenomenal ... especially Jeff and Lenny. I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone. I was able to avoid the many pitfalls that many have posted over the past couple of weeks... that is, no prep fee, set-up charges, etc. And, they received two SLs, and sold them both to the first two that had a deposit down.

I took each of my three kids for a ride today ... yes, they loved it as much as I did. I didn't truly notice anything out of the ordinary. For example, I read about the brakes being poor, the imperfections on the bodywork, rough edges, not enough pick-up, a whine at times, and the list goes on - for those that have posted such things, I am truly not bemoaning what you said; rather, giving my honest impressions just as all of you have done. I have to say that I experienced none of the aforementioned except for one thing - that is, at times, when shifting from second to first, it sputters a bit and acts like it wants to stall (I recall reading this in the forum and it is truly the only thing I would say that I have experienced as a negative). I imagine this will be fixed in due time - actually, I got the 3-year extended warranty so no worries over the next several years.

What was I most impressed with? Three things - pick-up and traction control, stereo, and windshield. I felt the pick-up was good and I could move thorugh the gears to reach a pretty good speed quite quickly - reminded me of when my Dad took a lawn tractor and made it into a go-cart with a few gears - I felt like I was flying as a kid around the neighborhood. The stereo sound lowered in volume or increased in volume depending on my speed - loved this feature. And, the windshield was just that ... a shield against the wind. Although, one enhancement I would buy is a windshield about 2 more inches higher ... while I am certainly content as is, a higher windshield at my height would be welcomed - perhaps Slingmods can work on this? It should be noted that it was about 35 degrees out, and I did not have to wear gloves to drive.

Again, could it be that I am not a race car driver - perhaps. I am merely some average Joe who likes to merely drive nice cars. So, be sure to experience the car first before passing too much judgement or thinking that you, too, will experience such 'issues'. Granted, I may go out tomorrow in my garage and find all kinds of things have fallen off overnight ... but, today, I took it all in, enjoyed the ride, and celebrated the fact that I could be with my boys surfing some asphalt on the streets in the suburbs of Columbus, Ohio.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Great feeback, makes me excited to get mine. Many of the other reviews are from very performance oriented individuals and it was good to hear your comments form a regular guy!

Thanks and congratulations on your ride!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Thanks for the write up Doc., very informative about a non-gearhead perspective. Got a laugh from your comment about the Ferrari being too ostentatious - so you bought the SS!? Someone else compared the SS to a man on fire running and screaming down the street. I'd have to agree! I kind of go for the more understated look myself but I love the SS concept anyway. I'll get used to being a man on fire eventually. Sound's like you are there! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the write up Doc., very informative about a non-gearhead perspective. Got a laugh from your comment about the Ferrari being too ostentatious - so you bought the SS!? Someone else compared the SS to a man on fire running and screaming down the street. I'd have to agree! I kind of go for the more understated look myself but I love the SS concept anyway. I'll get used to being a man on fire eventually. Sound's like you are there! :)
You raise a good point regarding my word choice ... for clarity, was referring more to price than looks! :+)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great, honest review. I posted same in a different thread and took slack for being honest…. Seldom use these forums for just that reason as always seem to be too much bashing. Lets all hope these prove to be worth the MSRP and not be laden with recalls, and problems!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts