Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come up with this idea, its designed and built by me. The idea was to not have any extra wheels, no trailering, and something that wouldn't take up much space, be affordable and just work.
Its made with about $80 in material. The main pivot point is the block in the center, its a 3" x 3" x 4" Steel with a 1" hole drilled in the center. The hitch pin is a 1" Grade 8 90Klbs shear tensile strength pin from NortherTool. I'm using giant 2" steel washers as the spacer that allows the unit to swing very effortlessly. When not used it can be tied to the truck hitch and will stick out very little and not move anymore. It can't and won't hit the vehicle as the block stops the movement. Turning and more importantly backing up is very easy, just like a small light weight trailer. The only issue I need to work on is loading onto the deck. I'm using a jack and then I just back up to it and strap it down. Take off is way simpler as I just remove the parking break and roll it off.
The whole setup weighs only 60lbs. I'm waiting on a scale to see what the total weight is on the back wheel alone to get and actual tongue weight limit. I have a 3/4ton truck so not worried about that. I do have another design that can be adjustable up/down as needed.
Of course you have to lock the front steering wheel from turning, I feel that this could be used for not only the slingshot but Can-Am spiders as well.
Your thoughts?

Video of it In Use:

·
Registered
356 Posts
How high is it off the ground? What about a folding or long ramp that locks in. When the ss is strapped down you could unhook the ramp and stow it in the bed. Could add some angled sidewall guides so you dont roll off the edge of the ramp.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've come up with this idea, its designed and built by me. The idea was to not have any extra wheels, no trailering, and something that wouldn't take up much space, be affordable and just work.
Its made with about $80 in material. The main pivot point is the block in the center, its a 3" x 3" x 4" Steel with a 1" hole drilled in the center. The hitch pin is a 1" Grade 8 90Klbs shear tensile strength pin from NortherTool. I'm using giant 2" steel washers as the spacer that allows the unit to swing very effortlessly. When not used it can be tied to the truck hitch and will stick out very little and not move anymore. It can't and won't hit the vehicle as the block stops the movement. Turning and more importantly backing up is very easy, just like a small light weight trailer. The only issue I need to work on is loading onto the deck. I'm using a jack and then I just back up to it and strap it down. Take off is way simpler as I just remove the parking break and roll it off.
The whole setup weighs only 60lbs. I'm waiting on a scale to see what the total weight is on the back wheel alone to get and actual tongue weight limit. I have a 3/4ton truck so not worried about that. I do have another design that can be adjustable up/down as needed.
Of course you have to lock the front steering wheel from turning, I feel that this could be used for not only the slingshot but Can-Am spiders as well.
Your thoughts?

Video of it In Use:
Way COOL!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Your thoughts?

LOVE it. Best design I've seen so far. Would be interested in purchasing one if you going to sale them.
Simple but gets the job done!

Video of it In Use:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been towing my REWACO HS6 trike for a couple of years with an almost identical hitch mount that I purchased from a company in Florida. The HS6 is a traditional trike. My hitch will also tow a motorcycle with the front wheel on it. Mine also has a removable ramp. Looks like great minds think alike! I'm thinking my hitch will also haul my SS SL.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've towed my HD Electra Classic with a similar set up. Looks like would work for the SS too. Good thinking.
Robert

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,542 Posts
Excellent creativeness!! My only concern as previously stated do you lose ground clearance and have you had any problems with dips in the road??

·
Registered
626 Posts
I love the idea for my motorhome ; my only concern with this method is dips and the front clearance of the slingshot. If dips are ok I will do this instead of hauling my trailer. Please advise on the dip issue ; this is way cool , thanks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts