Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

141 - 160 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Allrightee......I got my Bilsteins today..(so I am one happy camper, I can tell you that right now!!!) Those are beautiful shocks up close and personal!!! Anyways, since I got em today, I figured it was a great day to try tackling the mushy brakes. I decided to follow @Noel Hughes instructions from an earlier post of his, and see what happened. I was glad to have some snow still in my driveway......it was waaaayyy better than taking my baby down a dirt road to kick in the ABS!!! So I shot down the driveway 5 or 6 times and kicked in the ABS as instructed. Then I proceeded to remove each caliper just as instructed, pumped each piston out (cleaned each piston with Brake Cleaner while they were extended), then reinstalled the calipers and bled them. Final verdict.........I've got brakes worthy of a face plant every time I touch them!!!!!!!!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot: Thanks so much @Noel Hughes!!! I think you were exactly right.....the air bubbles were stuck in the ABS unit.
Of course some of you may say it didn't happen without pics, but I'm not sure how I will be able to snap a pic of my face smashed into the windshield the next time I hit the brakes..........maybe @Tripod has the perfect pic in his plethora of pics that could show me smiling even as I face-plant the windshield...;):D........needless to say.....I'm jumping for joy that this worked!!! Now time to tackle my new shocks............

·
Registered
978 Posts
Wouldn't be so sure about the ABS. A couple of weeks back I dropped it off at dealer with my understanding that they would clean caliper pistons. I got a call saying the brakes were fixed and found out that Polaris had wanted them to try activating ABS first to see if air trapped there so that was all they did. The brake pedal is a maybe a 1/16" higher but still stinks and must be double pumped as always. Anyway, done with dealing with it through dealer I'm just going to do it myself next time I'm working on it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah...you may have better luck doing it yourself. Unless you witnessed the dealer doing it exactly as described, you can't be sure they did it correctly. I did my own work (Following @Noel Hughes instructions), and know exactly what I did, how I did it, and also the end result......AWESOME BRAKES FINALLY!!! My pedal used to go almost halfway to the floor on the first pump. Now it might move 1/2" to 3/4" at most and stops solid. I call that a WIN!!!

Reactions: Tripod

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
[QUOTE="Roadog1aj, post: 241025, member: 5228"....Of course some of you may say it didn't happen without pics, but I'm not sure how I will be able to snap a pic of my face smashed into the windshield the next time I hit the brakes..........maybe @Tripod has the perfect pic in his plethora of pics that could show me smiling even as I face-plant the windshield...;):D........needless to say.....I'm jumping for joy that this worked!!! Now time to tackle my new shocks............[/QUOTE]

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

·
Registered
688 Posts
[QUOTE="Roadog1aj, post: 241025, member: 5228"....Of course some of you may say it didn't happen without pics, but I'm not sure how I will be able to snap a pic of my face smashed into the windshield the next time I hit the brakes..........maybe @Tripod has the perfect pic in his plethora of pics that could show me smiling even as I face-plant the windshield...;):D........needless to say.....I'm jumping for joy that this worked!!! Now time to tackle my new shocks............
View attachment 44005 View attachment 44006 View attachment 44007 [/QUOTE]

AHHH.....thanks Brother!!! I knew you'd come through for me......Life is good now :cigar::cigar::cigar:

Reactions: Tripod

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah...you may have better luck doing it yourself. Unless you witnessed the dealer doing it exactly as described, you can't be sure they did it correctly. I did my own work (Following @Noel Hughes instructions), and know exactly what I did, how I did it, and also the end result......AWESOME BRAKES FINALLY!!! My pedal used to go almost halfway to the floor on the first pump. Now it might move 1/2" to 3/4" at most and stops solid. I call that a WIN!!!
Doing your own work..... Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

·
Registered
978 Posts
Decided to do the procedure myself as the local dealer wasn't going to do it. Threw in the 05 Honda Civic pads at same time. Here's some pics of the pad differences as well as the extended piston. The piston itself was spotless but the dust seal was gunky and sticky. While pushing on the brakes to extend the piston out it seemed that the seal was what was holding it back and what needs cleaning. I did clean them but found a small tear in the dust seal on the drivers side so I'm waiting on a replacement before I can see results. I pulled the caliper off and pulled the piston out. It's a heavy, chrome and tight clearance piston which was totally clean.
007.JPG
008.JPG

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Obligations arose that prevented me from trying this and woke up to snow today. Supposed to be 60s next weekend so well try again then.

Glad to see it worked for others. Gives me hope.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Took my SS to dealer this past week for wiring harness recall. Discussed mushy brakes with them. Took several sheet of printed off info from this thread. They called Polaris tech support and when they heard Noel Hughes name they knew exactly what my dealer was talking about. No problems with them fixing brakes. Thanks Noel!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Tried this today, but did nothing to improve my brake pedal feel. Not saying this isn't a fix, just that it wasn't a fix for me.

I did however continue to play with the adjustment bolts on the rod connecting the pedal to the master cylinder. I found a spot that makes them feel responsive with no double pump mushiness, and doesn't trip the traction control. Happy camper right now. The pedal feels higher than I am used to so I'm wondering what other people's pedals look like in relation to the gas pedal. Going to post a pic in a minute.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I went to try this fix today and install my new pads. But I over extended my caliper and am having trouble getting it back in. Does anyone have any tips to help me out? Thanks

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Happy camper right now. The pedal feels higher than I am used to so I'm wondering what other people's pedals look like in relation to the gas pedal. Going to post a pic in a minute.
I am wondering if you may have something, here is a pic of ours which has worked well off of the showroom floor with no problems. It's hard to see but the brake pedal rides about 2" higher than the accelerator pedal.

P1110972.JPG

Bill

·
Registered
978 Posts
I went to try this fix today and install my new pads. But I over extended my caliper and am having trouble getting it back in. Does anyone have any tips to help me out? Thanks
You have to get the Piston absolutely straight. If you applied too much pressure you may have scuffed the caliper cylinder and it'll never go in without pulling piston out and sanding the burr. These pistons are very tight tolerances. I had my caliper on bench replacing seal and I had a hard time getting the piston in even with the inner seal removed. Suggest you back it out and wiggle it straight. Then use a flat piece of metal across the top of piston to help keep it straight while you push with c clamp. If this doesn't work remove caliper and seal and pull piston out and check for a burr.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Took my two week old SS in to the dealer today for the brake fix. Told me would take no more than a hour. Two hours later they tell me tried everything and it is no doubt your master cylinder. I only have 140 miles. They let me take the demo SS until they get the new master cylinder. Real stand up dealer, that was cool of them. So the fix didn't work on mine.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I am wondering if you may have something, here is a pic of ours which has worked well off of the showroom floor with no problems. It's hard to see but the brake pedal rides about 2" higher than the accelerator pedal.Bill
The height of my pedal is now at "maxed" height and is hitting the stopper when I let the pedal out. It's about 2-3" higher than the gas pedal, about 1" higher than the clutch. Feels too high, but the brake feel is great. The stopper actually has an adjustment screw, but appears to be at the lowest point that it can handle, meaning I could adjust the stopper to let the pedal out higher but not lower, and that would make it undrivable. I think it is installed incorrectly, and would love someone else to give a picture of theirs.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about, it's located right under the ECU.
20160227_190215.jpg

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Took my two week old SS in to the dealer today for the brake fix. Told me would take no more than a hour. Two hours later they tell me tried everything and it is no doubt your master cylinder. I only have 140 miles. They let me take the demo SS until they get the new master cylinder. Real stand up dealer, that was cool of them. So the fix didn't work on mine.

How were the brakes on the demo in comparison?

Bill

·
Registered
271 Posts
You have to get the Piston absolutely straight. If you applied too much pressure you may have scuffed the caliper cylinder and it'll never go in without pulling piston out and sanding the burr. These pistons are very tight tolerances. I had my caliper on bench replacing seal and I had a hard time getting the piston in even with the inner seal removed. Suggest you back it out and wiggle it straight. Then use a flat piece of metal across the top of piston to help keep it straight while you push with c clamp. If this doesn't work remove caliper and seal and pull piston out and check for a burr.
Thanks that's the same thing that my father suggested and it worked great

141 - 160 of 354 Posts