Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

281 - 300 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have 2017 stock base. The brakes suck. Not like somethings wrong suck... but they're just awful in performance... really have to mash the pedal hard and still stopping distance is poor.

Is the consensus for solution a master cylinder brace? I can't imagine I'd need to bleed these .. it's got less than 500 miles and never had I had to pump them or anything like that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have 2017 stock base. The brakes suck. Not like somethings wrong suck... but they're just awful in performance... really have to mash the pedal hard and still stopping distance is poor.

Is the consensus for solution a master cylinder brace? I can't imagine I'd need to bleed these .. it's got less than 500 miles and never had I had to pump them or anything like that.
Have you tried pumping the breaks? If you do and find them a bit better, you have air. I can tell you so far, a lot of SS have this problem. Mine did with 2 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
@Frank, air gets trapped in several locations, especially the master cylinder in the anti-lock system. This should be bled not only at the calipers, but at the extra ports on the master cylinder. Should Polaris have done this? Yes. Did they? Maybe not well enough.

As I mentioned before, the brace will solve the issue of the master cylinder flexing 2mm, but not the "mushy" feeling, that needs a proper bleed as detailed by @Noel Hughes. It works.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok, thanks... that just seems unimaginable they'd roll off the floor like that. Ok, I trust you guys.. I'll look into the bleeding more. And Roy, I have NOT tried pumping the brakes... I will and see, I never pumped them because pedal doesn't go to floor.. but I'll try it now that you mentioned it.

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Ok, thanks... that just seems unimaginable they'd roll off the floor like that. Ok, I trust you guys.. I'll look into the bleeding more. And Roy, I have NOT tried pumping the brakes... I will and see, I never pumped them because pedal doesn't go to floor.. but I'll try it now that you mentioned it.

Thanks !!!
They're all mushy brother. But can be fixed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Sorry to hear this issue lives on. If you double pump, see the dealer and accept no excuses. And, write no checks. Just my opinion, but stock in proper working order is fine.

Sent from my brain using an iPad

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well after reading about the soft brakes I decided to put mine up on the hoist and follow Noel's instructions. I took it on the side road around the corner and hit the brakes a half dozen times to kick on the ABS and coasted it back to the shop not touching the brakes again. I extended the calipers and cleaned them and then bleed them starting on passanger side then the driver side.
Finished it up and torqued the wheels and took it out for a spin. WOW I really didn't think the brakes were that bad as I got use to double pumping the pedal. Now if you push too hard you'll lock it up. What a difference and really didn't take that long to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well after reading about the soft brakes I decided to put mine up on the hoist and follow Noel's instructions. I took it on the side road around the corner and hit the brakes a half dozen times to kick on the ABS and coasted it back to the shop not touching the brakes again. I extended the calipers and cleaned them and then bleed them starting on passanger side then the driver side.
Finished it up and torqued the wheels and took it out for a spin. WOW I really didn't think the brakes were that bad as I got use to double pumping the pedal. Now if you push too hard you'll lock it up. What a difference and really didn't take that long to do.
My 2016 also required the double pump to get a good pedal. With 500 miles I found the pinion gear seal leaking. Took it to the dealer this morning and told them about the brakes and the pinion seal, and they were not surprised. They had the seals in stock and took care of the brakes also. 3 hours, and all under warranty. The mechanic told me he bled the ABS block. Now the pedal is perfect!

·
Vendor
647 Posts
While installing our master cylinder braces at the Slingshot on the Adirondack event this past weekend we also bled the brakes. All of the Slingshots we bled had air in the system, most had atleast 2 wheels with air at the calipers and all of them had air in the ABS module. Everyone couldn't believe how good their brakes felt after getting the air out and adding the master cylinder brace, like night and day. If you have not had your Slingshot brakes bled, definitely do it and make sure you get the ABS module as it is kinda hard to get to and seems to be forgotten a lot of time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is there only the top bleeder screw on the ABS module? I bled all of my brakes plus ABS with minimal change. I did have a hard time getting the ABS to activate 5 times before bleeding though.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yeah, I too would like to know how we are bleeding the ABS. The Polaris manual does not cover this.

I see a bleed valve with a black rubber cap on the top of the ABS, but w/o Digital Wrench I have been unable to find out how to activate the ABS manually which I think would be the really good way to do this.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Fixed mine following the routine posted and they work just fine now. Took a little longer than I hoped because I let the master cylinder go dry doing the rear. Forgot that the resevior was divided and was watching the wrong side.
Wanted to complain to Polaris about my dealer refusing to fix them, but could not find a contact link on their website. Ended up sending an email to the CEO. What's the chances of him even looking at it?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quick tip. Bleed the ABS before installing the MC brace. Much easier to get to that way. Not sure of the correct way to bleed the ABS, I used a Harbor Freight brake vacuum, opened the bleed valve under negative pressure and closed it when no more bubbles came up.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
827 Posts
While installing our master cylinder braces at the Slingshot on the Adirondack event this past weekend we also bled the brakes. All of the Slingshots we bled had air in the system, most had atleast 2 wheels with air at the calipers and all of them had air in the ABS module. Everyone couldn't believe how good their brakes felt after getting the air out and adding the master cylinder brace, like night and day. If you have not had your Slingshot brakes bled, definitely do it and make sure you get the ABS module as it is kinda hard to get to and seems to be forgotten a lot of time.
Also curious how you are bleeding the ABS module @[email protected]

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Next post:

Blitz hooks up a 12V power supply to his ABS sensors and either fries the shit out of something or tells everybody how to do this and becomes a hero at the level of Bob the ECM guy. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Next post:

Blitz hooks up a 12V power supply to his ABS sensors and either fries the shit out of something or tells everybody how to do this and becomes a hero at the level of Bob the ECM guy. :)
Can we call you Huckleberry?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Brother, you can call me whatever you want. But If I document the procedure to fix these phucked up brakes and make it understandable to everybody, I want you to call me "Stud". Just SS Stud. Fair enough? :)
Deal! But only once in public.

·
Beware of Sling Ninja
232 Posts
Ok folks this is strange. I have previous posts on this thread about this issue, and my experience with my (crappy) dealer. Eventually I was going to get around to taking it to another dealer to get fixed... but somehow, the problem has magically solved itself and my pedal is much firmer now... no more double pump needed...

The only thing I can think of, is I had a "rather large guy" attempt to drive my sling, and he mistook the brake pedal for the clutch pedal... and when trying to start the sling he was pressing the brake instead of the clutch.... given that it wouldn't start, he pressed the brake even harder, to the point where he was almost standing on it... (After I found out he was pressing the wrong pedal, he was promptly removed from the drivers seat BTW)

Since then, my brakes have felt much better. Maybe pressing the brakes super hard like he did released some of those air bubbles. Who knows. Just reporting my experience. A week has passed of daily driving, and still feeling good. Even did some "aggressive braking" to test it out, no issues.

Reactions: Roadog1aj

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok folks this is strange. I have previous posts on this thread about this issue, and my experience with my (crappy) dealer. Eventually I was going to get around to taking it to another dealer to get fixed... but somehow, the problem has magically solved itself and my pedal is much firmer now... no more double pump needed...

The only thing I can think of, is I had a "rather large guy" attempt to drive my sling, and he mistook the brake pedal for the clutch pedal... and when trying to start the sling he was pressing the brake instead of the clutch.... given that it wouldn't start, he pressed the brake even harder, to the point where he was almost standing on it... (After I found out he was pressing the wrong pedal, he was promptly removed from the drivers seat BTW)

Since then, my brakes have felt much better. Maybe pressing the brakes super hard like he did released some of those air bubbles. Who knows. Just reporting my experience. A week has passed of daily driving, and still feeling good. Even did some "aggressive braking" to test it out, no issues.
All hail the slingshot gods!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

281 - 300 of 354 Posts