Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologize if this is in the wrong section. I searched but really couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm a car guy through and through. Unfortunately, what I'm not is a motorcycle guy. Frankly, I've never ridden one in my life. The closest thing was either sitting on the back or revving on the dyno at Harley's HQ (ironically enough, both Harley and Polaris are clients of mine).

Goes without saying that a) I don't know how to ride a motorcycle and b) I'm not licensed for one. So:

- In IL, I will need a motorcycle operator's license to drive the SS - correct?

- Will I be required to do a road test to get the license ala the car test when we were 16 years old?

- Any special exemptions? We can debate the car/cycle aspect of the SS, but I would suggest that an automobile license is more relevant in this case. My Lotus Elise is more comparable to the SS driving reality (low, lack of visibility to other drivers, 'normal' shifting) versus the unique experience that is a motorcycle. I actually drove the Morgan Three Wheeler mule car at Road America and never once thought 'hey, motorcycle'.

- If I do in fact need to do the above - what's the best way to do it? I'm assuming the shop I would order from (Woodstock Motorsports) would have Cycle 101 things.

Seems a bit pointless as I don't know that I'll ever ride a proper motorcycle, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

I'd also imagine that others will be in the same boat. While many motorcycle enthusiasts will be buy the SS, I'd bet an equal number of 'car guys' and folks who have never been on a bike will as well.

Tell me everything I need to know!

Cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
You got to check with the laws in your state, you may need to pass a motorcycle course (theory and Road practice/test).
Some states or provinces need a motorcycle licence to drive the SS, if you plan on doing trips outside your state you may want to get your bike licence even if it's required (it prob is anyway).
Polaris had to categorise the SS as a bike because of crash test and lack of air bags. Here in Quebec we only need to pass a small course/exam but if I didn't have my bike licence I would go out to get it for those out of Province or country trips.

Good luck and if you got to get your licence well, it will be a fun activity to learn something new ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check with your dealer, or different dealerships. In some areas, motorcycle companies will sponsor two - three day classes that will cover knowledge and skills. They even will have loaner bikes for you to use during the skills training and test. If you pass, they give you a certificate that you take to DMV and they will honor that as you passing their test and give you a MC license. Good Luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give me a call, I already anticipated your dilemna and have a few ideas
Dude - I can't avoid you! :)

For others on the forum - evomind and I are buds. Both participated in a lot of Lotus drives together (he's had some pretty awesome toys over the years!)

I'll ping you this weekend...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Swinglo this may be a little late in your particular case but others in the same situation may find this useful.
Check with your local DMV for state sponsored basic/beginner rider courses. Most, if not all of these courses are based on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course firdt developed in the '70s and updated continuously since. Team Oregon in (where else?) Oregon even supplies bikes (small ones, 250cc and smaller) and can also supply a loaner helmet. These classes are great for beginning who may have never been on a bike before. They consist of classroom time where the basics of riding a bike are taught and dicussed and pracitical field exercised that allow you to apply what you learned in the classroom. Additionally, there are also experianced rider courses and advanced courses too. Even if you state doesn't sponser the courses, there are probably other organization that do. And I would be willing to bet that DMV would waive the practical (the ride) if you can provide ashiny new certificate of course completion. The first time I took the course California DMV even had a rep there at the end of the class to process our endorsement

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that. Good news is that IL is an 'auto cycle' state now, so I think my regular old drivers license will work!

·
Registered
479 Posts
The military requires that you take the safety course in order to get a base decal that allows you onto the base with a motorcycle. And if you tranfer to another base you have to take the course again to get a decal for that base, that is unless things have changed since I retired in '98. I've taken the course five or six times before I retired. The fees for the course are usually pretty reasonable and I think are money well spent. Even if you have been riding for years but have never taken one of these courses I'd say do it, you might be surprized at what youlearn.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for that. Good news is that IL is an 'auto cycle' state now, so I think my regular old drivers license will work!
Iwas typing my last as you responded. my tablet doesn't like these little boxes for text. I still recommend the course. You might like it enough to become a two wheel guy too. LOL

·
Registered
93 Posts
You are correct, Illinois passed the statute on January 5th and classifies the SS as an autocycle and no motorcycle licnse is required. That being said, most states around us do require a motorcycle license. There are several groups that give basically free (charge $20 for a spot and return it or give you a t-shirt) instructions in Illinois. The beginner courses are excellent. They supply the cycle, either a 200 or 250 bike, and the class is 20 hours. 4 friday afternoon, 8 saturday, and 8 Sunday. Friday and Saturday you learn the basics, Sunday monring your are allowed to run the course, then take the driving test, and then the written test. They had us do some neet stuff. even had us run over 4X4s. Having this course will lower your insurance rates and it is a good course! The DMV should have a list of classes and places to take them. As someone else has already advised, if you choose just to take the tests on your own, do the driving test on a 50CC of higher scooter - peice of cake. I took my courses 8 years ago in Decatur, IL by the catapilar plant.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Some states will issues a learners permit under a trike classification

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am sadly in the same situation except ny doesnt have a class for autocycles.

I have to take a written test followed by a practical before I can even get a slingshot. I am looking into if it will be possible to take the practical in the slingshot since that will be very easy to pass versus learning to drive a bike and having to spend the time and money learning.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You are correct, Illinois passed the statute on January 5th and classifies the SS as an autocycle and no motorcycle licnse is required. That being said, most states around us do require a motorcycle license. There are several groups that give basically free (charge $20 for a spot and return it or give you a t-shirt) instructions in Illinois. The beginner courses are excellent. They supply the cycle, either a 200 or 250 bike, and the class is 20 hours. 4 friday afternoon, 8 saturday, and 8 Sunday. Friday and Saturday you learn the basics, Sunday monring your are allowed to run the course, then take the driving test, and then the written test. They had us do some neet stuff. even had us run over 4X4s. Having this course will lower your insurance rates and it is a good course! The DMV should have a list of classes and places to take them. As someone else has already advised, if you choose just to take the tests on your own, do the driving test on a 50CC of higher scooter - peice of cake. I took my courses 8 years ago in Decatur, IL by the catapilar plant.
Be careful with the Autocycle designation. As far as I know, they have yet to actually title, or register any Slingshots in Illinois as "Autocycles" If your machine was titled and registered as a motorcycle, it will remain so for the rest of the year, and if a provisional title was issued, it could be longer, and up to the owner to get a new title.

A cop is not likely to debate the issue roadside if you get stopped with motorcycle plate and registration. You'll likely be appearing before a judge to try to sort it out.

Below is a link for the latest law updates for law enforcement from the Secretary of State, and there is nothing definitive about handling Slingshots registered as motorcycles. It only outlines that the new Autocycle class requires a class D license.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/police/lawupdate1415.pdf

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Here is the law as passed.....

Defines an autocycle as a three-wheel vehicle with a steering wheel and seating that does not require the driver to straddle or sit astride it. To operate an

autocycle on Illinois roadways, the driver must have a valid Class D Illinois driver’s license and the autocycle must display valid Illinois autocycle license plates and be titled with the Secretary of State.

As the above paragraph reads, it must have valid Autocycle plate and be titled as such with the Secretary of State. If it's registered as a motorcycle, you will have to have a class M license.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
An example for Minnesota, you can get a learners permit, but prevents even a licensed passenger, must drive alone. The road test cannot be done in the Slingshot, must be a trike with handlebars and levers, ie: a Spyder will qualify.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got my M class license in Illinois the easiest way I could. I have not intention of buying or riding a motorcycle but wanted to be able to drive my SS in other states.
3 easy steps and cost about $60
1st
Read the motorcycle rules of the road (read it once on the internet) and go take the written test at the DMV (mine was only 12 questions)
If you pas you will have a learners permit good for 1 year
2nd
Find a local scooter shop that will rent 150cc or above scooters. There is a place just north or St. Louis, MO in Edwardsville, IL (Moto Italia) that will rent you a scooter for $50, set up cones course in the parking lot, and let you practice as long as you want. I practiced for about an hour. They will then follow you to the DMV, about a mile away, when your ready.
3rd
Take the skills test at the DMV. Took me about 5 minutes. once you pass pay the $10 for the new license.

All in I invested about 2 hours and 2 trips to the DMV and received my new "DM" Illinois driver license

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
For GA I took the learners test (written only) to get my Learners Permit. I have a new license with the MP classification. It does limit your use (legally) but did allow me to drive the SS home and around town. As soon as the weather gets a little better both my wife and I plan on taking the safety coarse offered locally. They supply the bikes and even helmets if needed. You supply your lunch for the two day or 3 day class. Cost is $265 a person. When completed and passed you can take the certificate into the DMV for a full class M license without taking the riding test. Little less stress that way.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Yeah, too bad no one knows how to title it that way yet.
Depending on how long you hold out maybe they will have it figured out.
Maybe buy another Elise while you wait?
:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts