Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting discussion with a Polaris sales rep this weekend. We talked about engine options, turbo chargers, hitches, saddlebags, and the like. He said one of the design drivers was weight, in that they had to keep the SS below a specific weight in order for it to be classified as a motorcycle. And apparently, it isn't too far below that threshold, which could mean that there isn't a lot of room for growth. For example, he said that the belt drive, as opposed to shaft drive, was chosen partly based on weight. (I worked in airframe design for fighter aircraft which land vertically, so I'm quite familiar with weight trade-offs.)

So the question to the floor is this - does anyone know about maximum weight restrictions for a motorcycle? I could see it making some sense, since some 3-wheeled vehicles apparently are considered cars, while others are considered motorcycles, but both have the same general set up. I searched the statutes in Texas to see how they defined a motorcycle, and I think I came across two different definitions, though neither was weight-based. In one definition, I wouldn't have to think too hard to consider the SS a car. In the other definition, the SS is clearly a motorcycle. Strange... But again, neither set a maximum weight limit regarding the definition of a motorcycle. That's not to say that other states or other countries don't have such a limit.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hmmm...i don't know which 3 wheelers can be classified as a car! The Spyder,T-Rex and V13R need car license only(in Québec) but you pay the motorcycle license and need the helmet.

I don't think the weight can be use for classified if it's a motorcycle or a car! Maybe some cars are lower than the SS in weight!!

IMHO...No airbag...No real windshield...no door...no roof...3 wheels...no heat vent...and others i miss, make more sens to classified the SS as a motorcycle...but in the same case of the T-Rex you drive it like a car!

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's a good question. Maybe they're dodging laws in a specific state that sets a weight threshold. If the lawmakers see the need to adapt to new products like this, it could become a moving target. Hopefully not to Polaris' detriment.

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's a good question. Maybe they're dodging laws in a specific state that sets a weight threshold. If the lawmakers see the need to adapt to new products like this, it could become a moving target. Hopefully not to Polaris' detriment.
And remember....where we have snow like here and you state this is a car and not a motorcycle that mean i can put 3 winter tires and drive it in the snow....loll

Maybe the Government have the doubt someone will doing this...:p

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not sure why we care what the weight limit is, as we should be thinking of weighs [oops, Freudian slip, I'll leave it] to make it lighter, not heavier.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
A number of motorcycle diehards have serious heartburn with 3-wheelers like the Slingshot in that they are concerned that these vehicles are too car-like and may negatively impact conventional 2-wheel motorcycles by inviting automotive-like safety regulations such as mandatory ABS, airbags, side impact protection, etc. Other than features like ABS and Traction Control, I don't personally expect such legislation to affect conventional 2-wheeled motorcycles, but I wouldn't be surprised if a special 3-wheel vehicle classification eventually does bring along safety legislation, assuming more companies bring forth innovative products like the Slingshot.
Compared to other 3-wheelers, the Slingshot does seem to be heavier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Technicalities. If it's declared a motorcycle, no bumpers required and more importantly, no crash test data required. They will never have a windshield...but only a wind screen. If it has a framework around the perimeter of the windscreen then it becomes a windshield and if it's a windshield, it has to meet a different criteria (& be optically correct) and have a powered wiper. The original Morgan (1910) was built to get around a gas tax in the UK and that was the design criteria...car-like service without the fuel tax of cars. The first ones looked more like a horseless carriage as compared to the later models. The Morgan is now homologated as a motorcycle in the US.

Z

·
Registered
331 Posts
I spoke with a dealer a few weeks about if they will do a 4 seater in the future or what the future could hold for the 3 wheeler options. He said the slingshot was 30 LBS from the max limit to be a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Just going on gut feel, I don't quite understand how the SS got UP to 1700 lbs. I may not have a realistic feel for it. I'll find out as I get further into "The What" project. Basically an RX-7 stripped of all body parts with a roll cage added.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just going on gut feel, I don't quite understand how the SS got UP to 1700 lbs. I may not have a realistic feel for it. I'll find out as I get further into "The What" project. Basically an RX-7 stripped of all body parts with a roll cage added.
I'm kinda getting beat up a little on another thread for thinking the Slingshot is too heavy for what it is...

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I've tried several Google searches for federal maximum motorcycle weight and haven't found any such requirements. If there is such a maximum weight limit, it shouldn't be that hard to locate.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Funny that anyone would believe that a shaft drive AND a belt drive would be lighter than shaft drive only. There had to be another reason...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ths appears to be a troll go to Sturgis or Daytona there are legallly registered licensed motorcycles that weight over 3000# here in British Columbia our SS is registered as a vehicle as the motor size is over the current 2200cc size this stupid regu;lation is sure to change as more SS 's are sold

·
Registered
480 Posts
California had at one point in the vehicle code that a trike had to be 1500 or less to be treated as a motorcycle. I believe that limit was completely eliminated in 2008. Could be the limit the Polaris reps talk about is from some other state and not federal at all

1 - 18 of 18 Posts