·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once there is the option of towing a trailer behind
the SlingShot. How many of you plan on towing a
motorcycle trailer behind you.
Any suggestions on type, brand. Good place to
look for used ones. Things to watch out for.
I'll need one for trips. Once purchased I'll have it
repainted.

Another option different types of trailers that could be
towed behind the SlingShot. Ones that are not to large.
Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a cam am spyder trailer that I will be pulling, pulls straight, good suspension. Trailer doesn't bounce when pulled over railway crossings.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Once there is the option of towing a trailer behind
the SlingShot. How many of you plan on towing a
motorcycle trailer behind you.
Any suggestions on type, brand. Good place to
look for used ones. Things to watch out for.
I'll need one for trips. Once purchased I'll have it
repainted.

Another option different types of trailers that could be
towed behind the SlingShot. Ones that are not to large.
Thanks.
http://www.cyclope2000.com/

13015476994_7ffd96b707_o.jpg
11780051573_20c8612ae7_o.jpg
12228438125_94c0b175b5_o.jpg
12228835805_51f041ea55_o.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a cheap harbor freight trailer with a Sears cargo topper mounted to it. I narrowed it to 40" and extended the tounge. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it has logged thousands of miles behind my Goldwing without a problem. I only pull it a couple times a year on long trips, so I can't see spending thousands on a "good" trailer.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
I pull an Escapade made by California Side Car, they pull great with a low center gravity and have progressive air suspension. Tailwind is another nice pulling trailer that would look really nice behind an SS, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks.
Time to start looking.
Need one by summer 2015.
Hopefully we'll have a system for towing in the next several months.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tailwind is another nice pulling trailer that would look really nice behind an SS, but they are pricey.
That's my plan. I have a base SS on order but SL'd it through options. I think it will be a good match. Two of mine are carbon fiber and one is EGlass (standard material)...both aircraft grade composites. If I had it to do all over again, I would want all three out of EGlass as it finishes out better though carbon fiber sounds cooler. I've got roughly 100k miles between the three. These are the most aerodynamic full size m/c cargo trailers on the market. Roughly 27 cu. ft capacity, nice interior, on-board air compressor, on-board battery, uses Bosch relays and circuit breakers and weighs right at 200 lbs.. It has a patented pitch inertia drawbar which will be nice for the SS as the hitch will most likely be un-sprung (like the Spyder hitch...attached to the swingarm). They are so easy to pull, I never disconnect from it. The fellow that builds the Tailwinds has a demo trailer with about 250k miles on it and zero maintenance though he recommends checking them at 50k intervals...I'm going to service mine at 100k. I get 50-60k miles out of a set of tires.

E-Glass version...

I also have a CanAm trailer. I does have a good trailing arm suspension and is fairly aerodynamic. I had a Spyder too. It wasn't a keeper but the trailer was. I like the CanAm trailer due to it's depth. The two lids didn't work out so well in the rain (water on back lid gets dumped into the cargo area when it's opened) but it sounds like a bigger deal than what it is. This trailer is 22 cu. ft. of capacity.

I also tow camper trailers that would work fine behind the SS. These are Roll-A-Home campers...one is a single bed and the other is a king-size bed. These take about 2 minutes to set up, start to finish.

I highly modified the single. Has fridge/freezer, A/C, heater, lithium iron batteries, 8 gallon saddle tanks to transfer fuel on the fly, a pitch inertia drawbar morphed on it...a mobile command post.

Adequate storage under the tent section...

I made the bed..."you might be a redneck if your bed looks like lawn furniture". And that's my hotrod, turbo'd air conditioner.

With the OEM fuel tank, pillion auxiliary tank and trailer saddle tanks, I'm hauling 24+ gallons of fuel.

At this point, I'm obligated to work out a hitch for the SS. Anything I can tow behind a Wing, the SS will handle with ease and no stability issues.

Z

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pull an Escapade made by California Side Car, they pull great with a low center gravity and have progressive air suspension. Tailwind is another nice pulling trailer that would look really nice behind an SS, but they are pricey.
Found one of these. I know nothing about motorcycle trailers. Its a 2002 model looks fantastic. Individual says he has $5400.00 into it. Asking $3000.00 has custom paint job.
I'll try posting a picture of it.
Hard to believe but I've never posted a picture, so I'll have to figure it out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's my plan. I have a base SS on order but SL'd it through options. I think it will be a good match. Two of mine are carbon fiber and one is EGlass (standard material)...both aircraft grade composites. If I had it to do all over again, I would want all three out of EGlass as it finishes out better though carbon fiber sounds cooler. I've got roughly 100k miles between the three. These are the most aerodynamic full size m/c cargo trailers on the market. Roughly 27 cu. ft capacity, nice interior, on-board air compressor, on-board battery, uses Bosch relays and circuit breakers and weighs right at 200 lbs.. It has a patented pitch inertia drawbar which will be nice for the SS as the hitch will most likely be un-sprung (like the Spyder hitch...attached to the swingarm). They are so easy to pull, I never disconnect from it. The fellow that builds the Tailwinds has a demo trailer with about 250k miles on it and zero maintenance though he recommends checking them at 50k intervals...I'm going to service mine at 100k. I get 50-60k miles out of a set of tires.

E-Glass version...

I also have a CanAm trailer. I does have a good trailing arm suspension and is fairly aerodynamic. I had a Spyder too. It wasn't a keeper but the trailer was. I like the CanAm trailer due to it's depth. The two lids didn't work out so well in the rain (water on back lid gets dumped into the cargo area when it's opened) but it sounds like a bigger deal than what it is. This trailer is 22 cu. ft. of capacity.

I also tow camper trailers that would work fine behind the SS. These are Roll-A-Home campers...one is a single bed and the other is a king-size bed. These take about 2 minutes to set up, start to finish.

I highly modified the single. Has fridge/freezer, A/C, heater, lithium iron batteries, 8 gallon saddle tanks to transfer fuel on the fly, a pitch inertia drawbar morphed on it...a mobile command post.

Adequate storage under the tent section...

I made the bed..."you might be a redneck if your bed looks like lawn furniture". And that's my hotrod, turbo'd air conditioner.

With the OEM fuel tank, pillion auxiliary tank and trailer saddle tanks, I'm hauling 24+ gallons of fuel.

At this point, I'm obligated to work out a hitch for the SS. Anything I can tow behind a Wing, the SS will handle with ease and no stability issues.

Z
ZackyBilly1
Thanks for your excellent feedback.
You have some totally Awesome mc trailers there.
Is there anything I need to lookout for. Best types of suspensions.
Looking forward to your upcoming hitch.
Well you be offering them for sale.
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
BatSlinger,

I'm working on one other trailer...it will be to pull a smaller bike (vintage Triumph or Norton) behind a bigger bike. That may be a good option behind the SS as well.

At the risk of offending anyone, this is the way they stack up for me (considering they will be used for touring/long distance travel).

Tailwind
Hannigan
Escapade
CanAm

I try to avoid any kind of trailer that does not have a trailing arm suspension (Bushtec, etc.). The chances of finding a used Tailwind for sale is slim to none...and if you do find one, it won't be cheap. With my used Tailwinds, I believe I could get MSRP for them tomorrow if I decided to sell.

There are quite a few Hannigans and Excapades that pop up on the market and generally, they provide good service and can be had at a decent price. What you have to watch out for with fiberglass trailers is "cold creep" which causes lids to warp, gaskets not to seal, etc. Not that the lids can't be adjusted but something to watch out for. That is a big benefit of the E-glass of the Tailwinds...they are cured in an autoclave at temperature and under vacuum.

The CanAm trailer MSRP was around $4400 and what I paid for mine when they were first offered. The Spyder crowd didn't embrace the trailer as expected and therefore, a year later you could buy brand new ones for $3000. I haven't checked the going price for them lately but suspect there are some good deals out there. The CanAm trailer weighs about 240 lbs. empty and is a solid trailer.

For the "once in a blue moon" towing, there are some other, cheaper options like Aluma trailers. They aren't very aerodynamic but if it isn't going to be used that much...no big deal. This is a durable (aluminum) little trailer but not much of a suspension. They come in two or three sizes and are built by Thomas Bus Company. I wouldn't mind having one for camping as you could put your stove, etc. right on top of it. But I'm running out of places to keep another trailer.

On the hitch, I'm going to get something worked out but it won't be produced for the masses. Like with motorcycle accessories, everybody wants a super-duper gizmo that will totally transforms their bike but don't want to give more than $12 for it. Not to say I wouldn't hook a Brother up, so to speak.

I can hardly wait for others to get their SlingShots...more so than me. I think all this idle waiting time has people nit-picking to the extreme, making assumptions, falling in and out of love with the SS, visualizing it as a dragster or a sports car. Once they start making deliveries and people start using them, I have a feeling the complexion of this forum will change dramatically. You know this won't be my first or second reverse three wheeler...and it won't be a dragster or a sports car....it will be in a class of its own and that is a good thing. I see people comparing it to a Miata or other cars...but those are cars and the SS will be a toy with motorcycle-like features. The difference will be abundantly clear the cold day they go out for a ride and it tunes up and rains. For me, the fun of a reverse three wheeler comes in when you are on secondary roads (with no spectators) where it's just you and the road. Modern sports cars at 120 mph feel like they are doing 60 mph...the reverse three wheeler at 60 mph will feel like 100 mph. I have a new Z51 Vette and it won't fill the gap that the SS is going to. You will be able to have fun without doing felony speeds.

Tic Toc.

Z

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Z, do you think the SS will corner as good or better than a Wing. I've had a couple Wings and other than a crotch rocket, nothing I've ridden is as much fun in the twisties....just wondering

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cornering on a Wing is fun and I think it's because it is easier to push it's envelope in the corners than a CBR1000RR who's limits may be in triple digits. I think the SS will be the same in that respect as compared to a Vette. I think that the "fun speeds" of the SS will be at a fraction of the "fun speeds" for the Vette which is good. I can see me drifting around corners on the back roads around here in the SS but that's not a good option in the Vette.

Here's a video I made testing out a Contour HD camera...which I didn't like. I'm on a Wing and pulling a Tailwind in this video.

Besides being a reliable long-range bomber, they are fun.

Z

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Cornering on a Wing is fun and I think it's because it is easier to push it's envelope in the corners than a CBR1000RR who's limits may be in triple digits. I think the SS will be the same in that respect as compared to a Vette. I think that the "fun speeds" of the SS will be at a fraction of the "fun speeds" for the Vette which is good. I can see me drifting around corners on the back roads around here in the SS but that's not a good option in the Vette.

Here's a video I made testing out a Contour HD camera...which I didn't like. I'm on a Wing and pulling a Tailwind in this video.

Besides being a reliable long-range bomber, they are fun.

Z
Awesome. I know how a Wing feels putting it threw it's paces, you can almost feel the wind in your face watching this video.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
ZB
I will be interested in any type hitch you come up with. Are they still making tailwind trailers? I have been looking at the little guy Mypod Max to pull and sleep in. I thought a guy can carry a 6x10 tent and set up next to door for stand up dressing and xtra room.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check out the Time Out campers for long hauls. Wish I had one on my trip to Alaska. I hope somebody comes up with a nice billet aluminum trailer hitch for the Slingshot. When that comes out I might consider selling my class A motorhome and rough it like a teenager.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts