Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

What's a better choice for the Slingshot on track day?

• Auto Racing helmet (SA/H)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Motorcycle helmet (M)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do/would you choose for protection in a Slingshot on track day, a motorcycle helmet or an auto racing helmet?

Motorcycle helmet usually have better aerodynamics and larger eye openings than auto helmets. Auto racing helmets are designed to protect from fire as well and for getting knocked around by roll cages. They also support HANS devices.

I am not talking DOT. I'm asking about track certified helmets.

I'm not going to ask full face or open face. Both helmets are offered either way although it is considered better to have a full face if you're vehicle does not have air bags.

For those with track days under your belt, have they had any issues with your helmet being M vs. SA rated considering the nature of the vehicle you're racing?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I've been using M helmets, simply because that is what I have. Mine are expensive, fit me well, and the track never had an issue with them. If they are good enough for streetbike roadracing, they are good enough for the Slingshot.

This next time around, for tracking my new car, I'm going to go with an auto helmet that fits into club/track guidelines. I will also wear a neck brace/restraint with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have many helmets. I would use a SA helmet. I started racing dirt track bikes and got sponsored by Arai helmet. Back then it was a guy in a van follows the race circuit giving out helmets and stickers to put your bike and maybe a patch to sow on your leathers. I went to race super karts on big road course. This is what I found out about M helmets in the more car like seating position the air vents were not working as they did on bikes. Then it came to me M helmets are designed to be in the forward tuck position, In the upright position the angle is not effective. I went to Daytona with the super kart. I was the first person in the US to up a KTM 450 4 stroke in a super kart. I set a record for 4 stroke kart at a tic over 126mph. While there I was offered a SA Helmet and boy what a difference better air flow less buffering

1 - 3 of 3 Posts