Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Rhode Island. I do not need a motorcycle license to operate my slingshot in RI. I work in Massachusetts. Ya need a motorcycle license to drive a slingshot in Mass.
You’ve already figured out the question….
So…. if I get pulled over in mass… and I don’t have my motorcycle license…..what is the penalty/fine? Is there one?

anyway….

To avoid any conflict, I’m going for my motorcycle license in June. My neighbor is telling me it’s not necessary. I feel like there is too much grey area here and lots of room for opinions and interpretation.
Has anyone had experience with this? I think there are only 3 states that require a motorcycle license for slingshots. Massachusetts, New York, and Alaska.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I live in Rhode Island. I do not need a motorcycle license to operate my slingshot in RI. I work in Massachusetts. Ya need a motorcycle license to drive a slingshot in Mass.
So…. if I get pulled over in mass… and I don’t have my motorcycle license…..what is the penalty/fine? Is there one?

anyway….

To avoid any conflict, I’m going for my motorcycle license in June. My neighbor is telling me it’s not necessary. I feel like there is too much grey area here and lots of room for opinions and interpretation.
Has anyone had experience with this? I think there are only 3 states that require a motorcycle license for slingshots. Massachusetts, New York, and Alaska.
I'm pretty handy with a search engine, but I'm stumped.
In Florida once you take your MSF approved beginner motorcycle course, you can get your license. RI apparently is different.
My next question (that I have no idea how to phrase the search) is reciprocity. Example: In some states when you get a concealed weapons permit, there are other states that will honor it. Perhaps there is similar reciprocity for motorcycle licensing? Probably the highway patrol in Mass can give you the full legality.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
The driver's license is set by your home state and if you are legal (did not say moral & question of moral and Slingshot has not been answered) to drive it in your home state you are LEGAL in any state. Newfoundland, CA is a different bag of worms. I do have one friend up there who has had one since the beginning all title and plated and good to go. Most can't get them plated now up there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The driver's license is set by your home state and if you are legal (did not say moral & question of moral and Slingshot has not been answered) to drive it in your home state you are LEGAL in any state. Newfoundland, CA is a different bag of worms. I do have one friend up there who has had one since the beginning all title and plated and good to go. Most can't get them plated now up there.
Wow

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
When I bought my Slingshot in Washington state, neighboring Oregon required a motorcycle endorsement for it. Since I drive regularly in Oregon I contacted Washington to get mine. They told me I could take the written test but would have to use a motorcycle for the driving test since they didn't have a course that they could test the Sling on. My bike hadn't been running for years and I didn't want to borrow one for the test. Fortunately, Oregon dropped the requirement so It's no longer necessary. Definitely a frustrating situation.

@Jennergie72 if it were me I'd get legal in my home state and take my chances at not getting pulled over in Mass. Of course I rode a motorcycle for over 20 years without ever getting an endorsement so I'm not the poster-boy for compliance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you have a Rhode Island license you don’t need an endorsement. I live in Washington where you don’t need one either but I had a 2 wheel motorcycle endorsement and my license said “Motorcycle Endorsement 2 wheel only”. Since I take at least one long trip a year I decided to get a 3 wheel endorsement. CanAm sponsored classes that only cost $75. I don’t know if they have them where you are but now I don’t have to worry about getting stopped in another state and trying to explain my way out of a ticket.

·
Registered
101 Posts

anyway….

Reciprocity laws apply, If you are legal in your home state, other states must recognize your states licensing laws

·
Registered
21 Posts

anyway….

You don't need MS lic. if you are just visiting a state where one is required.

·
Registered
2016 SS SL
179 Posts

anyway….

Your neighbor is not correct.. You must have a motorcycle license (or endorsement) if you drive in Massachusetts. Suggets you research Interstate Drivers license Compact. Good luck. Also, ask RI DMV if you can waive any of the testing requirements to include takng a driving test in your SS. Hope this helps Good luck Keep on SLINGIN'

·
Registered
2 Posts

anyway….

Permit u be jus fine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts