Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I put my deposit down today on a base model, I decided to do some research on my first replacement of our "proprietary" tires. My dealer said I wouldn't be able to find other tires until the SS was on the market for a while. However, I see that Michelin makes the above tire in the exact sizes. The PS2 is a far superior tire in grip and wear. A few people here said the Kenda was roughly a 6k mile tire vs the Michelin 20k. I couldn't find the Michelin in the SL rear tire size, however Pirelli makes the Pzero in that size which is really close in performance (subjectively better or worse.) As far as superior 3 season tires, there are other options as well. Even at this point, I don't see why anyone would stay with the Kenda for the money, especially if it's as low traction as everyone is saying while only providing a few thousand miles. If sliding around for fun is the thing to do for you, I would think a 30 to 35k mile summer tire would be a comparable solution at less expense. They're already available. If I'm missing something here, by all means clue me in.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I plan on changing my wheels and tires in the first couple of months. I want SL sizing on my base model with a better look with aftermarket wheels.

So far from what I have researched, I like this model. I will get some opinions from a local aftermaket performance wheel and tire guy when I can drive it over and show him what I am trying to do...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=535WR0GFSPC2XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Vendor
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I also noticed that tire during my research and figured it was also probably light years ahead of the Kenda.....I was following the Toyota GT86/Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ for a while because I like the car. I watched several tire reviews and comparisons on and off the track which is what led me to the Michelin/Pirelli's. I haven't researched the BF Goodrich but it looks like a great option. I'd rather change wheels and tire sizes all together before I let Polaris sell me an 80 dollar tire for 300......Hell, that's an offensive mark-up. You have the right idea.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dunno about available sizes, but I believe the newer Michelin Pilot Super Sport is better performing than the PS2, and cheaper.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Was sad t
Dunno about available sizes, but I believe the newer Michelin Pilot Super Sport is better performing than the PS2, and cheaper.
Was sad to hear that no PS2 size available for the rear SL tire. Have used PS2s on all my performance cars and they're awesome. Hope you're right about the Pilot Super Sports.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't waste your time on the PS2s, the Pilot Super Sports are a far superior tire. Long treadlife, great grip level (very natural fall off), and good ride for the performance it has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts