Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody notice in the videos the how long the transmission tail piece bolts were. I can see now how they will catch some roadkill. Its going to need some thin skid plates also in a few key areas. I live in areas that roads suck.

Sent using my fat thumbs via Taptalk App.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Bet my road sucks worse than your road RAB :arghh: To get to my place I got 2 miles of unpaved hell that's got more craters than the moon.

I'm going to be looking at higher profile tires for the SS to soften the ride. My GF just got a car with super low profiles and it was noticeably worse than mine with higher profile. I probably should have stayed with the Base SS wheels on my SL.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Oh wow I hadn't even thought of that. Can't wait to read what others say. Here in Kansas we have our share of RK and I don't like the idea of that mess on my SS

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bought a new 2013 Goldwing and one of the first recommended things to install was a pan under the engine to prevent rocks etc from damaging the oil lines and oil filter that hang out in the open, right behind the front tire, probably the best investment a Wing owner can make.

Those bolts appear to be the rear transmission mount bolts and they sure look like they will catch anything under the SS. No doubt someone will come up with a shield that will cover the suspected areas that can be damaged from road kill or foreign objects. The shields on my wing are stainless, it would be nice to have stainless shields for the SS as well.

Tom ( #3 on the local dealer list for the red SS)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Soft little skunks, rabbits and possums aren't the problem. It's those damn armadillos That will tear your front end off

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Haven't seen the videos. Do those bolts actually hang down BELOW the frame ? Hard to imagine Polaris doing an engineering snafu like that.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Otter find away or the time to watch the videos, you will not be disappointed
Will do Mike. Got to get home to my desktop PC to do it. They won't work on iPad due to Apple not supporting Flashplayer. Maybe there is an app that will?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Will do Mike. Got to get home to my desktop PC to do it. They won't work on iPad due to Apple not supporting Flashplayer. Maybe there is an app that will?
Not that I know of, I tried it on a few of my Apple devices and it did not work.
Knowing you; you would love what you see on the videos.
There is about 70% of the questions answered in those videos

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Bet my road sucks worse than your road RAB :arghh: To get to my place I got 2 miles of unpaved hell that's got more craters than the moon.

I'm going to be looking at higher profile tires for the SS to soften the ride. My GF just got a car with super low profiles and it was noticeably worse than mine with higher profile. I probably should have stayed with the Base SS wheels on my SL.
I'm sure if you post an ad offering to trade your SL wheels & tires for someone's Base wheels & tires, you will have no trouble doing so, even if you also ask for some cash as part of the deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm sure if you post an ad offering to trade your SL wheels & tires for someone's Base wheels & tires, you will have no trouble doing so, even if you also ask for some cash as part of the deal.
From what I understand ( and I could be wrong ) the part between the swing arm and the rear shock comes in two different lengths. A short one for the 20 inch tires and a long one for the 18s. This is to retain the same ride height.

So putting a long one on a SS that has 20 inch tires would raise the ride height, at least in the rear. The headlights may need to be realigned.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Good suggestion BKL, I may have to consider that. Will see how it rides over 'hell road' when I get it.

I do like the styling of the SL wheels better. Haven't checked yet but I'm hoping there are higher profile tires for both SL wheel sizes. That would raise the ride height a bit but not enough to be a problem.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Good suggestion BKL, I may have to consider that. Will see how it rides over 'hell road' when I get it.

I do like the styling of the SL wheels better. Haven't checked yet but I'm hoping there are higher profile tires for both SL wheel sizes. That would raise the ride height a bit but not enough to be a problem.
As I remember well turbo might be working on a skid plate for the SS

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
A quick visit to Tirerack shows it will be easy to find higher profile tires for the SL wheels. Will sit a little taller but that's ok. Makes needing the skid plate less of an issue. Gearing will be taller too but I kinda like that. The SS doesn't seem to have any problem spinning the rear tire :D

Oddly, the higher profile tires of same brand and series are less expensive as well...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
As long as you maintain the proper ratio front to rear. Otherwisw it will screw with the stability system.. (so says Polaris engineers)
Thats true, although i wonder why they would not have made the system self calibrating. Simple to do with the computing power available in the ECU.

Sorry for the thread creep BTW.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
As far as requiring a different swingarm, maybe that explains why Polaris charges so much for the tire/wheel upgrade. Checking the Parts diagram only lists one swingarm part number, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts