Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question was sparked from a post that Kip (one of our resident and awesome dealers) posted in another thread but I think it would help all non MC people if it was it's own topic.

Now that we are starting to see SS being delivered around the country - how do the new owners get them home without a license?

In Virginia I can get a MC learner's permit by just taking the written test though only valid for 30 days which is why I haven't taken it yet. What happens if you don't have a learner's permit or a MC endorsement at all?

I was at a MC dealership in Texas not long ago and they said I would have to at least have a learner's to take the bike home. Is that true in other states?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Probably.
Driving a motorcycle without a license - the cop would probably tow the vehicle as you cannot legally drive it.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
In Texas you can get your license w/o your own bike. There are dealers and such that will provide a bike for you if needed. You can't get it on a trike.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
You should have no problem finding a volunteer with a mc license to drive it for you.
Totally agree. Find a friend with a MC license and take in the ride from the passanger seat. It is not ideal, but better then watching your new toy getting towed away.

The possibility of getting pulled over in this thing are very high. Im sure many officers will be curious about this new vehicle.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You can do a three-wheel cert in Michigan, which I'm told is more like a written test, no riding test needed if you have a valid driver's license already.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginner's Course. IN most States successful completion of the MSC lets you skip the actual rider's portion of the license process and also earns you a discount on your MC insurance. You'll then be legally approved for two, three or four wheels, assuming you already have a license for a cage. Prices vary. I think some States offer it or the equivalent for free, while other places may cost you a couple hundred. Harley-Davidson may offer a similar course at a slightly cheaper rate. Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In SC passing the written motorcycle test allows you to ride a motorcycle, you're just not allowed to carry a passenger.
If you want to carry a passenger you have to pass the skills test. It's set up for two wheel vehicles as far as size of the course and width of lines you have to stay between while maneuvering. So I think in order to get a full endorsement and carry a passenger you'd still have to learn how to ride a two wheeler well enough to pass the practical skills test.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In Minnesota you had to have a class c or higher. Then you get a learners permit. You could only ride during the day and had to wear a helmet no matter what your age. When you passed the riding test you could ride without the helmet 24-7

1 - 12 of 12 Posts