Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 2021 still need the master cylinder brace? You would think they would have fixed the issue. What about the angle drive brace? 馃

Registered
First off, hopefully to help keep things in perspective, the SlingShot utilizes a manual braking system, which to somebody not accustomed to manual brakes has a very different feel than the more common power-assisted brakes of today. As far as "needing" a brace on the master cylinder, I believe that this may depend on how you intend to ride your SlingShot. Otherwise, we utilize our 2015 SlingShot mostly akin to a "touring" motorcycle and in my personal opinion there has been no need for any additional bracing of the master cylinder. It appears to me that the master cylinder brace has been used in the past to correct a symptom of poor braking where proper servicing since, (especially after the secondary bleeding procedure has been introduced), has mostly provided the overall cure.

On to the angle drive, are you planning on doing donuts or equivalently "abusing" your SlingShot? Otherwise there are several examples of owners with SlingShots reaching a hundred thousand miles or more without the expense of adding a brace to the angle drive.

Our experience has kept us from indulging in the (unnecessary) additional expense of adding bracing, your experience may be different.

Bill

Registered
I have had my Slingshot since April of 2017 and I always felt the brakes worked good enough, that was until last week when on my commute a truck cut me off and then slammed on its brakes. when I hit my brakes I was not 100% confident that I was going to stop in time, fortunately I did stop, but when I got home that night I decided to order the DDM master Cylinder brace to give it a try - I dont need race car brakes and I know that its a manual system that is never going to work like a power brake system, but I really have not liked the mush feeling I got when I hit the brakes hard, kind of like there were a spring in line that compressed before the system engaged fully. Anyway I got the brace last Monday and installed it right away - I have been driving with the brace for 3 days now and all I can say is I wish I had done this the day I brought the Slingshot home - no more "give" in the system and it is consistent and makes me feel much more confident - yea its still a manual system and it still isnt some high performance system, but I like it and at $120 one of the lowest price mods your going to find - - heck, I have spent more on shift knobs and other cosmetic mods that did nothing to enhance the driving experience so to my way of thinking a mod at this price that might actually let me stop a fraction of a second faster when it really counts and more importantly gives me peace of mind every time I press the brake pedal - - - - - highly recommended

Registered
Our experience has been when those few, very few, times I have had to really lay on the brakes the ABS system has ultimately engaged, which gets me to wondering how can braking get any better than that? Though, to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe if some day somebody shows up selling a brace more inexpensively, (used?), curiosity may compell me to give it a try just in case I am missing something.......................

Bill

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our experience has been when those few, very few, times I have had to really lay on the brakes the ABS system has ultimately engaged, which gets me to wondering how can braking get any better than that? Though, to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe if some day somebody shows up selling a brace more inexpensively, (used?), curiosity may compell me to give it a try just in case I am missing something.......................

Bill
Maybe this will help you understand what is going on and how the brace prevents the flex. Watch the above link.

Registered
Maybe this will help you understand what is going on and how the brace prevents the flex. Watch the above link.
LOL, thanks 1SG, I am fully aware of what the brace is supposed to do, I simply am not having to exert the pressure on our brakes anyway near enough to possibly cause the flex as shown in the video. If I am laying on the brakes hard enough to create discernible movement of the master cylinder, then the anti-lock brakes are typically coming into play. Which causes me to believe that if somebody is continually having to use as much pressure as being applied in the video, then there must be something else amiss with the system?

Bill

Registered
Some food for thought. Of all the mods that have come and gone for the Slingshot since the very beginning back in 2015 the Master Cylinder brace was one of the first. Master Cylinder braces are one of the few mods that are currently manufactured and sold, by at least 4 well respected companies in the industry Full Blown Motorsports ZZP Performance DDM Works & 1320 Performance and in the past before they went out of business I believe Alpha also manufactured and sold their own version - - Im not talking about some mod that is made by one company and then distributed by a bunch of different vendors - - this is actually one of the very few mods that almost every manufacture of high performance aftermarket parts has decided is important and needed enough that every single one tooled up for it and added it to their production line. So now add to this the fact that not only have all of these companies felt these were worth making apparently the slingshot community has felt they worth buying - go over to the vendor sides Slingmods or slingshot only - try to find a rear fender - there used to by a bunch of options, now I think there is 1, spend a little time on those vendors sites and click on some of the links that are susposed to take you to products and you will find that a high percentage of them will take you to pages that say "No matching products found" or something similar - - my point here is simple - - products that slingshot owners do not think are worth having disappear - the manufactures don't want to waste time making them and the vendors don't want to waste time trying to sell them

So the lowly master cylinder brace that can be had for as little as $99 from 2 of the manufactures linked here and $119 and $139 from the other 2 companies is perhaps the most manufactured and longest living mod available to all slingshots ever made - - - - - - so - - makes me wonder if this is just some marginal mod that most people don't really need - - then why has it stuck around so long and not gone away like so many other mods? why have so many manufacturing companies put in the time to design one and then set up their machine shops to make them?

Anyway - - hard for me to tell anyone else they need this - - heck it took me almost 4 years to jump in the boat, but having said that I really wish this had been one of my first mods and not waited this long - - what it has done is not huge or dramatic - fact is in a month or so I probably won't even think about it or notice it - - - my brakes finally work the way I think they should have worked from the beginning - - unfortunately mods that make things "right" tend to slip from the mind to make room for more exciting things

anyway - please do me a favor, before you dismiss this and ignore it like I dod for so long, ask yourself - - if this is a mod that isn't really needed then how have so many companies been able to justify the effort and expense of making their own version of the product - - and if it really isn't needed then why do slingshot owners keep opening up their wallets and handing over a hundred bucks to get one - - - and last but not least please search here and then search over on slingshot info.com and see if you can find one single post by someone who bought this and then said it was a waste of money?

This is the first thread I have posted in on this forum in many years - - I normally don't bother because I prefer the other forum, The only reason why I bother this time is because I felt the OP deserved an answer from someone who was a convert - someone who dismissed what he haden't tried and then found out how wrong he had actually been

Anyway I done here - - if you want to discuss this more I would be happy to discuss it over on the info forum - -you can even see my new Assault hood vent I installed last night :)

Reactions: 1SG

Registered
Very thought provoking, Edwardneal, I have to admit that you have come the closest to convincing me to pulling the trigger! (y)

Bill

Registered
Very thought provoking, Edwardneal, I have to admit that you have come the closest to convincing me to pulling the trigger! (y)

Bill
OK, Edwardneal, dammit, I did pull the trigger, you had better be right about this! 馃槚

Bill

Registered
This mod wont break the bank...
Money or no, the jury in my case of our SlingShot needing a brace already came to the decision that the brace is not required. Now, since doubt has been introduced, and the case is being retried using additional evidence, will the original verdict still stand? Either way, we will at the least have a partial answer to Edwardneal's question above, "...........and if it really isn't needed then why do slingshot owners keep opening up their wallets and handing over a hundred bucks to get one - - - ?"

Bill

Registered
It would seem to me that if this is an issue then it is a design flaw in the Slingshot and they should do a recall and install the support for free.

Registered
Ken R, maybe this might make you feel a little better where the brace that I ordered finally arrived here mid-afternoon and I went right to work installing it. Easy Peasy! I then eagerly went out to give it a try, where at first I did not engage the brace, going out about five miles on a two lane country road I frequent. I tried normal braking and then some panic stops. At the end of the five miles I pulled off, engaged the brace, and came back the same road. After trying some normal braking, and then some panic stops, I pulled over and disengaged the brace once again. I apologize folks, and please, I do not mean any disrespect, but during this short experiment I can feel no discernible difference?

Bill

Registered
I guess it is not worth worrying about then. Years ago I owned 5 brake specialty shops in S Florida and ran into some pretty weird things that manufacturers do. One of the worst was when Chrysler thought it was a great idea to put Phenolic pistons in their calipers. I stayed pretty busy just rebuilding those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts