Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I right in saying the major difference between the two models is the wheel and tire size, along with the stereo and back up cam on the SL?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
If you turn a base into an SL by adding the items to it you will spend an extra 1500 or so. But you will have the old wheels and tires as spares. My dealer matched the price of the SL and threw in the 499 trailering cover.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If you turn a base into an SL by adding the items to it you will spend an extra 1500 or so. But you will have the old wheels and tires as spares. My dealer matched the price of the SL and threw in the 499 trailering cover.
Isn't the speedo going to be off due to the tire size difference? Could that be corrected by using a VSS from an SL?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Isn't the speedo going to be off due to the tire size difference? Could that be corrected by using a VSS from an SL?
No. I think they are shrinking tire thickness for for rim height.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I just checked and compared the tire specs, and it will cause the speedo to be off. The base uses a 265/35/18 tire, which has an overall height of 642.7mm. The SL uses a 255/35/20, which has a taller 686.5mm height. The circumference difference is 2019.1mm for the base VS 2156.7mm for the SL. I'm not sure what the formula is to determine how much of a difference it will make, but the SL tire has a 6.8% larger circumference than the base. Not sure if that means the speedo will be off 6.8% or not. Maybe someone who knows the formula can chime in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's not just 1500 to turn a base to an SL. The 'infotainment center' alone costs like 2100 or something. There is no listing for color change options either. Interior lights are like 250 or maybe 500, windshield is 500, idk wheels, think that's all?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The rear shock mount is different on the SL vs SS.
Please explain this.

I haven't heard of this before and changing wheels and tires on my base model is one of the first things I will do.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just checked and compared the tire specs, and it will cause the speedo to be off. The base uses a 265/35/18 tire, which has an overall height of 642.7mm. The SL uses a 255/35/20, which has a taller 686.5mm height. The circumference difference is 2019.1mm for the base VS 2156.7mm for the SL. I'm not sure what the formula is to determine how much of a difference it will make, but the SL tire has a 6.8% larger circumference than the base. Not sure if that means the speedo will be off 6.8% or not. Maybe someone who knows the formula can chime in.
And from my dirt track experience that will make the gray ones quicker with more Torque to rear wheel too asphalt less stress on bevel gear box to drive belt and YES increase horsepower too rear wheel ! I would guess somewhere around 5 to 7 additional horsepower..
So not only stealthy we are quicker lol.
And when matched up head-to-head with the red ones well they will need there red ones for the intimidation factor / no fear gray ones we got this:penguin:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Since the tires on the SL are larger on the front and back at the same ratio it wouldn't affect the traction control. However it would effect the speedo. Im sure its a reprogram of the ECU to accommodate for it. However I doubt i will do it since I can just add the difference in my head of 4-6 mph. No biggie.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
It's not just 1500 to turn a base to an SL. The 'infotainment center' alone costs like 2100 or something. There is no listing for color change options either. Interior lights are like 250 or maybe 500, windshield is 500, idk wheels, think that's all?
19,999 vs 23,999. I figured the accessories like my dealer would at the common dealer discount of 20% on accessories. If you pay retail for your accessories your paying to much. I have never paid full retail for parts and accessories for a bike I bought at that same dealership. Triumph dealers give a 30% discount most of the time and Can Am usually has 25%. These are typical. Now you can't usually just walk in a strange dealer with no relationship and get that discount. But if you have made a purchase of a bike you can usually get that kind of treatment. I think the guys on here would say I'm close to the correct numbers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't care about the radio that the SL comes with and I like the gray color better that's why I ordered a base slingshot

·
Registered
686 Posts
And from my dirt track experience that will make the gray ones quicker with more Torque to rear wheel too asphalt less stress on bevel gear box to drive belt and YES increase horsepower too rear wheel ! I would guess somewhere around 5 to 7 additional horsepower..
All correct except that HP is not increased; that higher torque at the wheel is offset by the lower road speed at that rpm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts