Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Never heard of breakin oil. Sounds like a dealer money maker!
Yes and no. WARNING RANT INCOMING...
"break in oil" is VERY watery and used in motorcycle engines to aid in breaking it in...
That being said... The Slingshot HAS A CAR ENGINE (pre 2020 auto), if the car didn't require break in oil, why the Slingshot? WHY?? IT'S A CAR ENGINE!!!!
I had a long-ish tripped planned when my Sling was at 480 miles and the oil change kit I ordered from Amazon had not arrived.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes and no. WARNING RANT INCOMING...
"break in oil" is VERY watery and used in motorcycle engines to aid in breaking it in...
That being said... The Slingshot HAS A CAR ENGINE (pre 2020 auto), if the car didn't require break in oil, why the Slingshot? WHY?? IT'S A CAR ENGINE!!!!
I had a long-ish tripped planned when my Sling was at 480 miles and the oil change kit I ordered from Amazon had not arrived.
Well I don’t know nothing about anything. I just ask questions on top of questions until I kinda have some what of an understanding and I usually trust the professionals that are in the field. Insert shoulder shrug. Everything you say is making sense

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did my first service at 500. Kinda for my own piece of mind. I do my oil change every 4000 . It's a little early but I like keeping it maintained. I believe I changed the rear end fluid around 10.000. It was pretty nasty already.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well I don’t know nothing about anything. I just ask questions on top of questions until I kinda have some what of an understanding and I usually trust the professionals that are in the field. Insert shoulder shrug. Everything you say is making sense
Your fine, no worries.
It peeves me because (to me) it's simply done to make more money. A car engine does not need break in oil. I personally don't have an issue with changing the oil on a new vehicle at 500 miles since.... it's new, but using a thinner oil just doesn't make sense for a car engine.
For the Sling I do my own oil changes. Since the Sling does not have the AC plumbing that a normal 2.4L ecotech motor does it leaves ALOT of room to reach and get to the oil plug.

Don't you think if engines used breakin oil it would be common knowledge by now? Enough said...
It's not really common knowledge unless you've purchased new motorcycles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Your fine, no worries.
It peeves me because (to me) it's simply done to make more money. A car engine does not need break in oil. I personally don't have an issue with changing the oil on a new vehicle at 500 miles since.... it's new, but using a thinner oil just doesn't make sense for a car engine.
For the Sling I do my own oil changes. Since the Sling does not have the AC plumbing that a normal 2.4L ecotech motor does it leaves ALOT of room to reach and get to the oil plug.

It's not really common knowledge unless you've purchased new motorcycles.
Well I only asked the initial question because this dealership is two hours away. Seems like for what? An oil change? My husband works on all the equipment and machines but English is not his first language so I do the askin and he does the workin. Lol. He did that first 500 mile service but that’s upsetting when you think you are talking to an expert in the field only to be given misinformation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Motorcycle dealers used to give FREE 600 mile checkups and oil changes ie Honda. They stopped that many decades ago. My brother was a dealer. When I bought my 06 Wing he said no need to change at 500 miles. The machining has most likely improved over the decades.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Motorcycle dealers used to give FREE 600 mile checkups and oil changes ie Honda.
Motorcycle manuals used to tell you how to adjust the valves and now they tell you not to drink the contents of the battery! I wouldn't get hung up on whether or not it's 'break-in' oil or not and just change the oil to your preferred brand at 500 miles. That needs to be done. @Jennergie72 another task many do at each 5,000 mile oil change is grease the U-joint. Most go in through the cup holders but you can get to it from below as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Motorcycle manuals used to tell you how to adjust the valves and now they tell you not to drink the contents of the battery! I wouldn't get hung up on whether or not it's 'break-in' oil or not and just change the oil to your preferred brand at 500 miles. That needs to be done. @Jennergie72 another task many do at each 5,000 mile oil change is grease the U-joint. Most go in through the cup holders but you can get to it from below as well.
Hey thank you so much for that!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts