Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Hi.
Does anyone know what the required maintenance is after the 500 mile break in period?
Thank you and safe slinging!
Jenn
I would recommend that you take to the dealer and than they register the work with Polaris. My personal preference is to have all my work done by my dealer. That way he checks things that I would miss. I do have a SUPER dealer and 'tech'. The Slingshot I'm driving did not get a 500 miles check up until it had 1500 miles...Bought on Wed and went to a rally and had the work done there on Sat.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Just left Moms in Foxboro MA
In addition to the oil change, they do belt adjustments
My dealer goes over the Slingshot from front to back every time I see them.. It's a 120 miles one way for an oil change but well worth it to me. Probably never take my Lincoln Navigator that far but it's not as much fun to drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No kidding. The dealer told us to call at 500. Are you sure? For the first service?
Maybe your machine already had that initial service. I could be wrong but with a new machine they put something a break in oil. I think it’s called just that break in oil. But it can’t stay in the engine for some reason.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought you meant AFTER the first 500 mile break-in service....sorry
I only know a little about this because when I bought my first side by side, I was absolutely bummed out that I was going to have to bring the machine back to the dealer after so many hours. I was like, WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE DONE!?!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Break in oil is a thinner weight oil so that way it helps to grab all the thin pieces of metal from a newly machined engine so it’s just a different weight oil is usually like a 0 weight oil which is why they say take it easy for the first 500 miles it’s like that in any type of vehicle car truck motorcycle snowmobile‘s so yes it is true at 500 miles you want to change out the oil do you put the proper weight oil in and they usually tighten the belt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe your machine already had that initial service. I could be wrong but with a new machine they put something a break in oil. I think it’s called just that break in oil. But it can’t stay in the engine for some reason.
We have actually just hit our near 500 mark and will have our "break in" service this weekend.
We are in the process of reading through our manual now. I remember reading already about the "why" they use break-in oil and what all they do at the 500 mile service. Then after that, that the manual shows what all they do at 5,000 miles and so on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have actually just hit our near 500 mark and will have our "break in" service this weekend.
We are in the process of reading through our manual now. I remember reading already about the "why" they use break-in oil and what all they do at the 500 mile service. Then after that, that the manual shows what all they do at 5,000 miles and so on.
What color is your machine?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts