Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, we want to announce our own roof system done the MadStad way. Here's a peek at the first version:

Notice anything different about our Slingshot top? I'll bet you do, but that's only the beginning. Feast your squinties on this video:

More photos and info to follow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice out of the box thinking. Do the sides lock into place so it is stable to 130mph?
The dual canopies will latch at the front and the removable hinges are pinned at the back. The Slingshot itself isn't too stable at 130 mph due to front end lift, but we will be road-testing this system at various speeds soon. - Mark

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not so sure I'm crazy about the look but besides that can you make it so the middle piece comes off so the whole top is off when not needed

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here are a few more photos. You might guess why we named it the Stinger.

Dual canopies make it easy to get in and out, and no bars in front means a great unobstructed view.

The canopy design is preliminary, we skinned them with dark-tint acrylic but they could be clear, aluminum, fiberglass, almost anything. This is a preliminary design so keep that in mind, and all of your input is welcome. We are open to changes as we move this design along.

By the way, this unique cantilever roof design with all of it's working features is patent-pending, and it wouldn't be a MadStad if it wasn't adjustable:

Yep, you can keep it low lean if you want, but for you tall drivers in states where you have to wear helmets you don't have to worry about being stuck underneath a low roof. Our Stinger has several more central mounting positions allowing you to bolt it in up to 3 inches higher than what you see in the photos. We might increase that range even more, but that's another patent-pending feature.

We don't have a price yet but because we don't have to deal with a fancy tubular frame, we're going to do our best to keep this top as affordable as possible, even with all of these killer features. The center section will eventually have mounting space for dome lights, sunglasses holders, all that kind of stuff. We'll post some photos of that when we get to it.

CYCLE SPRINGS POWERSPORTS is where this killer top will be available! They are rocking the Slingshot world with a whole host of their own accessories and we are teaming up with them to deliver the MadStad Stinger to all of you. This will ONLY be available through Cycle Springs so if you want to get in line for this top, call Noel at 727-771-1211 or visit their site at www.cyclespringsonline.com. Don't forget to add the MadStad adjustable windshield system for unrivaled smoothness and comfort without buffeting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not so sure I'm crazy about the look but besides that can you make it so the middle piece comes off so the whole top is off when not needed
Once you slide the canopies off, just four bolts take the rest of the system off. It only takes a few minutes to go on or off, and since it breaks down into 3 sections it won't take up too much space in your garage. - Mark

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Really like the different approach to the roof. The pillar design built off the mirror mounts to the middle roof piece would add stability to the roof at higher speeds and a added latch point at the front corners. When the lift panels are removed, the look would be reminiscent of the T-roofs of the 70's. The panels could hinge at the rear as they are now or at the center to give a gull wing effect, either way still have them removable. I do not believe pillars are very intrusive to your vision, after all most every vehicle has them.

This style of roof would not be less money than others out there now, but difinetly one I would be interested in. As for myself the other roof designs for the Slingshot are quit difficult for me to enter and exit as a result of my busted up left knee from a previous motorcycle accident.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really like the different approach to the roof. . . . As for myself the other roof designs for the Slingshot are quit difficult for me to enter and exit as a result of my busted up left knee from a previous motorcycle accident.
Your situation is exactly why we did not put bars and pillars across each side. Even if we made the panels removable from the middle, you STILL would have to duck under the bars to squeeze in.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Your situation is exactly why we did not put bars and pillars across each side. Even if we made the panels removable from the middle, you STILL would have to duck under the bars to squeeze in.
My vision of this did not have any side bars, i.e. like a t-top. I like the design.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My vision of this did not have any side bars, i.e. like a t-top. I like the design.
OK, I understand. If we made it like a conventional T-top with pillars coming across and down to the mirror mounts, it would (A) not be so easily removable, and (B) wouldn't be able to shift up-and-down for height adjustment. That's one of the big issues with roofs, head clearance, especially for tall folks wearing helmets. Our design allows us to build in a great deal of height adjustment if we want to, keeping the roof at the same angle throughout the range. - Mark

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
OK, I understand. If we made it like a conventional T-top with pillars coming across and down to the mirror mounts, it would (A) not be so easily removable, and (B) wouldn't be able to shift up-and-down for height adjustment. That's one of the big issues with roofs, head clearance, especially for tall folks wearing helmets. Our design allows us to build in a great deal of height adjustment if we want to, keeping the roof at the same angle throughout the range. - Mark
Very good points, was not thinking about adjustability, only stability. You are a couple of steps ahead of me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've done a lot of mods to my s/s including Hahn turbo, PRP seats, etc. but one of the best mods I've done is the MadStat windshield!!! I'm definetly in for the top. Great job Mark.

1 - 20 of 573 Posts