Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Like many of you, we have been searching for a luggage or cargo rack for our Slingshot, on which we have the Madstad Stinger roof. We didn't want the expense and risk of damage using a trailer hitch/trailer. We liked the couple racks we found in the Slingshot accessory marketplace, but all the ones we found are not compatible with the Stinger roof.

So we went to a local welding fabricator business. They were going to make a pair of racks, but were going to charge us over $500.00, and we didn't care much for their design, either. Next, we went to a local welding supply store, and asked for a referral for a good welder that does nice fabrication work. They gave us the contact information for a local place that does everything from auto repair to building racing cars to welding. Their welding was highly regarded. We went to them, and they estimated about $360.00, plus paint (powder coat). The final design they came up with was fresh, simple and looks great. The final bill came in under $400.00, plus the 2 cargo boxes which we already had that ran just under $50.00 on eBay, for both, delivered.

Check out these pictures, and let us know how you like it. If you're looking for something like this, then feel free to show the pictures to your own local welder fabricator to use as a guide:

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 SLR LE, and 2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2 Posts
You have had this setup for a while now and I am curious how it is holding up for you. Have you thought that there are some changes you would have made now that it has been used a while? I ask because I am looking to emulate what you have here for a trip I am planning this summer. That way if there are any improvements to be made based on experience with it I can incorporate that into the build.

Thank you for your time!

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have had this setup for a while now and I am curious how it is holding up for you. Have you thought that there are some changes you would have made now that it has been used a while? I ask because I am looking to emulate what you have here for a trip I am planning this summer. That way if there are any improvements to be made based on experience with it I can incorporate that into the build.

Thank you for your time!

Brian
Hi Brian,

The rack is holding up very well, and we couldn’t be happier. There really isn’t anything that we would change.

The lid retention tether on one of the cargo boxes broke. It’s just a plastic cord that prevents the lid from opening much more than 90°, so it’s no big deal. It would be easy to replace it with a very thin steel cable or nylon cord, though.

·
Registered
2018 SLR LE, and 2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2 Posts
Hi Brian,

The rack is holding up very well, and we couldn’t be happier. There really isn’t anything that we would change.

The lid retention tether on one of the cargo boxes broke. It’s just a plastic cord that prevents the lid from opening much more than 90°, so it’s no big deal. It would be easy to replace it with a very thin steel cable or nylon cord, though.
I've been using Givi for decades now, and I know that can happen. I'm probably going to end up with square aluminum tubing on my build instead of a round tube. Right now I have a bid in on some nice side bags that will work nicely on the rack. Thank you very much for getting back to me on this, I'll post mine up when it gets fabricated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts