Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil this past weekend and went through the 500 mile maintenance list. One thing I had a lot of trouble with was getting any grease into the universal fitting. Regular grease gun connector is too large, ground it down, still no good. Borrowed an injector type nozzle but laying on my back I could get it dead on with 2 hands and the grease kept going everywhere but into the fitting. No problem, I'm driving 150 miles to a SS dealer on Tuesday to get a Laser Alignment and I'll just ask for them to grease the fitting. After alignment done, tech initially said that there was no fitting, he called Polaris who verified that there was. He didn't have a connector that would fit it nor did he have an injector nozzle. I asked if he's been servicing Slingshots and he said yes so obviously this has not been done for those customers. I'm going to jack it up higher tomorrow and drive myself crazy till I get grease in the damn thing.
By the way, my recall was done at factory, front wheels lasered out to be 1/8" toe out vs recommended 1/4" toe in.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Changed the oil this past weekend and went through the 500 mile maintenance list. One thing I had a lot of trouble with was getting any grease into the universal fitting. Regular grease gun connector is too large, ground it down, still no good. Borrowed an injector type nozzle but laying on my back I could get it dead on with 2 hands and the grease kept going everywhere but into the fitting. No problem, I'm driving 150 miles to a SS dealer on Tuesday to get a Laser Alignment and I'll just ask for them to grease the fitting. After alignment done, tech initially said that there was no fitting, he called Polaris who verified that there was. He didn't have a connector that would fit it nor did he have an injector nozzle. I asked if he's been servicing Slingshots and he said yes so obviously this has not been done for those customers. I'm going to jack it up higher tomorrow and drive myself crazy till I get grease in the damn thing.
By the way, my recall was done at factory, front wheels lasered out to be 1/8" toe out vs recommended 1/4" toe in.
Here's what you need to get the job done without any issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-832...ultDomain_0&hash=item4ae51fcbe2#ht_345wt_1153

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, a rubber tip...I tried one identical but with a metal tip. Will the rubber be stiff enough to push down the ball bearing in the zerk fitting or will I go "BE-zerk" :) thx for the info

·
Registered
545 Posts
So did you leave the toe adjusted at 1/8" or move it to 1/4"? My SS is getting the recall done this week so once I gt it home I'll see what the shop set it at.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So did you leave the toe adjusted at 1/8" or move it to 1/4"? My SS is getting the recall done this week so once I gt it home I'll see what the shop set it at.
I sure as heck didn't drive 150 miles to just get it checked without correcting it. It's not a difficult procedure with the right equipment. Total bill was $109.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it was fine driving up BUT it actually felt better coming back. Definitely worth the trip.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally figured out the grease fitting problem. I jacked it up yesterday and tried 6 different attachments and basically nothing worked. As you're laying on your back and blocking whatever light you're using when you attach you wind up trial and erroring grease all over the place. Part of the problem is jacking it up. That actually increases the downward angle of the driveshaft further blocking the already limited access to the grease fitting.
The solution: grease it from the top without jacking up. Remove the cup holders. They just have 4 ridges holding them in. Slide a narrow blade screw driver and gently pry up front, back, sides till you can pull them loose. You can clearly see and access the fitting now. I had already ground down a standard grease gun on my prior attempts from below, while it wouldn't connect from below due to the above mentioned angle, it easily did from the top. Hope this helps someone else experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
THANK-YOU - - - Flybuddy - - Super-Duper-Great-Post
........................................................................................ tom/carol-books

·
Registered
533 Posts
what kind of grease did you use flybuddy? can you show on the pic above where do you fit the grease gun to lubricate? How do you know how much to use? can you over pack with grease and damage it? I'm not a mechanic so I hope I'm not asking dumb questions.
Thanks

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what kind of grease did you use flybuddy? can you show on the pic above where do you fit the grease gun to lubricate? How do you know how much to use? can you over pack with grease and damage it? I'm not a mechanic so I hope I'm not asking dumb questions.
Thanks
I used a multi purpose marine grease. There's no particular type called for, any decent lithium based, moly or multi purpose grease will work. More important issue is that the outside of the fitting and the end of the grease gun be clean so that you don't pump any dirt in there. The round bright spot in the middle of the U-Joint at end of driveshaft (first pic) is the grease fitting. The fitting has a small ball bearing in the center that is spring loaded. After you attach the grease gun to it, it locks around the fitting and as you pump grease in it pushes the ball bearing down and the grease works its way around it and works its way to all four ends of the U-Joint providing lubrication to the needle bearings. You can't overgrease it so don't worry.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Flybuddy! any specific gun size or connector?
Connectors are fairly standard, any gun will work. Unfortunately there is very little room to connect where this grease fitting is placed. I had ground down the outside radius of my grease gun connector before I figured out to try it from the top. I'm not sure if a standard connector will fit without at least grinding a flat spot on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Finally figured out the grease fitting problem. I jacked it up yesterday and tried 6 different attachments and basically nothing worked. As you're laying on your back and blocking whatever light you're using when you attach you wind up trial and erroring grease all over the place. Part of the problem is jacking it up. That actually increases the downward angle of the driveshaft further blocking the already limited access to the grease fitting.
The solution: grease it from the top without jacking up. Remove the cup holders. They just have 4 ridges holding them in. Slide a narrow blade screw driver and gently pry up front, back, sides till you can pull them loose. You can clearly see and access the fitting now. I had already ground down a standard grease gun on my prior attempts from below, while it wouldn't connect from below due to the above mentioned angle, it easily did from the top. Hope this helps someone else experiencing the same problem.

Fly, thanks, I removed the rear cup holder a couple weeks back and struggled with the rubber injector. Where did you get that small grease adapter?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fly, thanks, I removed the rear cup holder a couple weeks back and struggled with the rubber injector. Where did you get that small grease adapter?
It's a standard fitting after a few minutes on a grinder. If you just do one edge flat it'll fit, I kept grinding on mine when I was unsuccessfully trying to do it from the bottom.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts