Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to the forum and 1st post, I have a 2016 sl with 6000 very happy miles, and I have had a crap load of problems, along the way, low brake pedal, power steering glitches, angle drive leaks and belt alignment and noise issues, So lets start with the dreaded low or double pump pedal, when I first got my slingshot my pedal was very very low like almost hits the floor, so I 1st thing I did was power flush the system, helped slightly gave me a middle travel double pump pedal, drove it around like that for 5500 miles, then one day I was chattin with my dealers service manager and told him what was up, he pulled me aside and handed me a piece of paper, that says......

"brake system slave cylinders (calipers) are initially assembled with a lubricant that tends to act like glue between the caliper and piston & piston seal after initial assembly.
Correction I'm gonna summarize this......1st engage the abs several times to bleed air from valve block...didn't work for me. 2nd apply the hand brake then apply foot brake and hold while releasing the hand brake.....didn't work for me. 3rd, remove each caliper one at a time and press brake pedal 3 full strokes slowly, I started with the back, pulled the caliper with the wheel on, did full 3 strokes of the pedal, cleaned exterior of the caliper boot, reassembled, PROBLEM FIXED! Nice firm pedal and at the top of the travel where it should be.

Steering would just shut off at random times mostly when colder outside, I ended up finding a loose pin at the power steering motor on the steering gear, I tightened the pins and problem hasn't returned.

Angle drive leaks from both seals, dealer replaced seals under warranty

belt alignment and noise, 1st a dirty belt is a noisy belt, my ss came with the belt riding off the front left of the drive sprocket, and squeaking its butt off! this is and was not acceptable, I now set 8mm from the inner edge of the drive sprocket. I can now see teeth on both sides of the driven sprocket although it is sitting inboard just a bit, I've set drive belt tension a lot of different ways, and the best way I found is 16mm flex with 10lb but yall already know that, I was also digging around on gates carbon drive systems since we all know gates makes this belt and the say a dry spray silicone spray will help the belt be quieter and run cooler, so me being who I am and I know belts are rather inexpensive I decided to try it out today, Rode 300ish miles in 100deg heat, belt was quiet as ever I will continue to use a dry silicone spray on my belt every oil change

Hope yall have a AWESOME 4th!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hey new to the forum and 1st post, I have a 2016 sl with 6000 very happy miles, and I have had a crap load of problems, along the way, low brake pedal, power steering glitches, angle drive leaks and belt alignment and noise issues, So lets start with the dreaded low or double pump pedal, when I first got my slingshot my pedal was very very low like almost hits the floor, so I 1st thing I did was power flush the system, helped slightly gave me a middle travel double pump pedal, drove it around like that for 5500 miles, then one day I was chattin with my dealers service manager and told him what was up, he pulled me aside and handed me a piece of paper, that says......

"brake system slave cylinders (calipers) are initially assembled with a lubricant that tends to act like glue between the caliper and piston & piston seal after initial assembly.
Correction I'm gonna summarize this......1st engage the abs several times to bleed air from valve block...didn't work for me. 2nd apply the hand brake then apply foot brake and hold while releasing the hand brake.....didn't work for me. 3rd, remove each caliper one at a time and press brake pedal 3 full strokes slowly, I started with the back, pulled the caliper with the wheel on, did full 3 strokes of the pedal, cleaned exterior of the caliper boot, reassembled, PROBLEM FIXED! Nice firm pedal and at the top of the travel where it should be.

Steering would just shut off at random times mostly when colder outside, I ended up finding a loose pin at the power steering motor on the steering gear, I tightened the pins and problem hasn't returned.

Angle drive leaks from both seals, dealer replaced seals under warranty

belt alignment and noise, 1st a dirty belt is a noisy belt, my ss came with the belt riding off the front left of the drive sprocket, and squeaking its butt off! this is and was not acceptable, I now set 8mm from the inner edge of the drive sprocket. I can now see teeth on both sides of the driven sprocket although it is sitting inboard just a bit, I've set drive belt tension a lot of different ways, and the best way I found is 16mm flex with 10lb but yall already know that, I was also digging around on gates carbon drive systems since we all know gates makes this belt and the say a dry spray silicone spray will help the belt be quieter and run cooler, so me being who I am and I know belts are rather inexpensive I decided to try it out today, Rode 300ish miles in 100deg heat, belt was quiet as ever I will continue to use a dry silicone spray on my belt every oil change

Hope yall have a AWESOME 4th!
Thanks for the info. I did a follow-up and I'm posting from the Gates website that might be helpful to SS riders.
MAINTENANCE

MY DRIVE IS SQUEAKING OR MAKING NOISE, WHAT’S THE CAUSE, AND HOW DO I FIX IT?

1. The belt can make noise when forced to run hard against the flanges on the sprockets. This can be due to sprocket misalignment, wheel misalignment, or run out in the drive caused by damaged components. Spraying water on the belt may quiet the drive for a few minutes, but the permanent solution is to correct the alignment or replace the damaged components. Another possible source of noise is a loose front sprocket. Using thread lock on the sprocket bolts alleviates this problem.

In some cases, the noise can occur when riding in dirty conditions, particularly when mountain biking if grit and water temporarily stick to the belt. This noise in no way indicates a problem with your Gates Carbon Drive. In most cases simply hosing off the belt and pulleys after a ride will end the noise. If noise persists, the solution is simple: spray the belt with water, wait for it to dry, and apply a thin coating of dry silicone spray to the tooth side of the belt. Dry silicone dries instantly, helps shed grit, and does not affect the longevity of the belt. We recommend this product.
    CRC
    05074 Heavy Duty Silicone Multi-Use Lubricant - 7.5 Wt Oz.

I HEAR A CLICKING NOISE, WHAT'S THE CAUSE AND HOW DO I FIX IT?

1. Ticking and clicking noises on bikes are often difficult to diagnose because they can come from a myriad of sources. A possible source of clicking can be from a loose front sprocket. Use thread lock on the sprocket bolts to alleviate this problem. A second source of clicking might come from too much clearance between the rear sprocket and an internally geared hub. Gates has introduced a new sprocket design called SureFit to address this concern. Alternatively, applying Teflon tape to the hub interface has been found to eliminate the clicking noise.

MY BELT IS JUMPING TEETH (FEELS LIKE SLIPPING). WHAT SHOULD I DO?

1. Increasing the belt tension should correct this problem. Consult the bicycle manufacturer's recommendations or our tensioning information for details. Normally tooth jump does not cause significant belt damage; however, strong riders who jump teeth at very high loads might consider replacing the belt. Belt slipping with proper tension could be a symptom of belt or sprocket wear and could be a sign that one or both need to be replaced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brother, it would be nice if you could provide a Gates Part Number on the belt along with the Brand of silicone spray you are using. That info, and there is a hell of a lot of it, may be provided here on this forum, but I haven't been able to find it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not found a gates part number for the belt, but they make 99% of belts in the world. As far as what brand of spray yoche mate had it in the post above. However the crc brand was not available where I live so I used liquid wrench dry lube. I did another 300 mile trip today and still quiet as ever :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aside from the noise you can't tell I ever sprayed anything on the belt, I was very sparing and sprayed directly on the cogs as per gates, if one has any doubts then I suggest not doing it, but I work on all my own stuff and have a very good relationship with my dealer. Anytime I try something and it's successful I fill them in. I even showed my service manager my alignment specs, yip I aligned my ss on a good old hunter camera machine :) also did my bosses ss. My dealer was amazed that it worked, so know I get sublet alignments from my dealer since all the can use is a tape measure and a string. Mine is set up just barley towed in and -0.50 negitive camber. Camber is slightly outta spec but for my style of corning it works great :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aside from the noise you can't tell I ever sprayed anything on the belt, I was very sparing and sprayed directly on the cogs as per gates, if one has any doubts then I suggest not doing it, but I work on all my own stuff and have a very good relationship with my dealer. Anytime I try something and it's successful I fill them in. I even showed my service manager my alignment specs, yip I aligned my ss on a good old hunter camera machine :) also did my bosses ss. My dealer was amazed that it worked, so know I get sublet alignments from my dealer since all the can use is a tape measure and a string. Mine is set up just barley towed in and -0.50 negitive camber. Camber is slightly outta spec but for my style of corning it works great :)

The Negative Camber is interesting. The problem I have on my SS is wondering. I think a Negative 0.50 might solve that problem. Dealer is reluctant to set anything but factory specs.

Your thoughts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the factory they want the ss tires standing almost stright up and down, what made me try my alignment is I pushed "slid" my front end in a corner, so I inspected my tires and saw that I started to roll the outside edge over. Hine forth my desision for the negitive camber, when I aligned my bosses his ss had +.4 and +.2 and it was toed way out, he drives alot different than me and is after tire wear. So I set his up slightly toed in and with 0.0 camber setting. Also installed new tires, he has almost 3000 miles since the alignment and his tires look brand new, me I'll sacrifice tire wear for good handling since I live in the mountains and drive the ss like I'm riding my gixxers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Min still wanders a tad, but in Arkansas we have a high road crown and high ruts from the semi's that I blame mine for. I'd like to see how yours is set up from the factory.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Min still wanders a tad, but in Arkansas we have a high road crown and high ruts from the semi's that I blame mine for. I'd like to see how yours is set up from the factory.
I'm in Arkansas too, but travel to Oklahoma a lot along some new pavement that hasn't had time to form low/high lanes. Even on new Paved Highways, I wonder a bit.

I use a dealer over in Oklahoma and will check in with the lead mechanic over there. He is an Engineer who would rather wrench than be an engineer and speaks the language. I think he is trying to get a job on one of the racing teams. I'll bounce some things off him to see what he thinks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol are we from the same place..... I too travel to Oklahoma alot. Also I've noticed that if I get outta my truck and jump in the ss I swerve all over the place, the ss has nice touchy steering. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lol are we from the same place..... I too travel to Oklahoma alot. Also I've noticed that if I get outta my truck and jump in the ss I swerve all over the place, the ss has nice touchy steering. :)
Yep, me too. Also when I get off the SS and get in the truck, it feels like I'm crawling. Truck wants to go 95MPH. :D:D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts