Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have about 2 inches of movement in the drive belt at 400 miles. Is this something that should be covered under warranty? If not, is it something I should try to adjust myself?

I'm probably going to do my 500 mile service myself because my dealer hasn't told me what it's going to cost after calling twice over a week ago.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Yep I will also do my own service what better way to learn what your SS is all about
no one will give it the love and care that you do and that way when you do something you know it was done right.
This 500 mile service is nothing more then we already know from working on are other toys change fluids check belt tension visually inspect it front to back.
Piece of cake

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same here, about 200 miles and my belt has about 1 - 1.5" of slop. I ordered a 30mm socket and 250 ft-lb torque wrench today so I can adjust it on my own. The video outlines the job well. I took the panels off today to check, I think most of the work can be done with the wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I will tell you that 250 pounds is almost what my Ducati Diavel needed. Just get a 3/4" drive pull handle and a 3' cheater pipe. Pull up on the pipe till the wheel almost lifts off the ground. You will have reached 250 pounds..... Or real dang close to it. :D

Reactions: xtreme2424

·
Registered
66 Posts
RABTECH - I hear that. I'm no spring chicken, so I'm going to have to "carb up" to eek out enough power to put down that 195ftlbs the pivot nut requires. Worth it, I would imagine the dealer cost to do the job would cost twice the price of the torque wrench and socket. I'm like you guys, I'm going to do most of my own work, so I don't mind stocking up on the required tools.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
i was serious , i use a 3' or 4' cheater pipe that is 2" in diameter ((had them cut me a piece of black pipe at hardware store. I got all fancy and had them tread the end and put a cap on it so my hand wouldn't slide off)) and a 3/4" drive ratchet or pull handle .. Just depends on which one i can find usually. Shop has been a mess. Since its so freaking large just go to Harbor Freight and get you a 3/4" drive socket kit. Your not going to break it so it doesn't matter that its made in China. Its good for putting on trailer balls and stuff like this axle nut.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-metric-3-4-quarter-inch-heavy-duty-socket-set-5494.html

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What is tourqed to 250 lbs that is lot . Did not see that in video . I have never tourqed anything that hi and work on things everyday .

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I understand correctly, the belt should displace 0.63" when 10lb force is applied mid-span between the pulleys. That consistent with what everyone else is hearing?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I checked mine recently as well and fount it loose. Well over an inch of slack. One thing I found was adjusting the belt with the wheel off the ground made it too tight when sitting with weight back on the ground. Set the wheel back on the ground, readjust tension, & good to go.
Larry

·
Registered
5,881 Posts

Ducati Diavel rear nut is 200 pounds torque.

Reactions: Mike Mtl

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Torque specs are there for a reason. "Close" is NOT good enough.... Take a minute and do it right.
I knew someone was going to say that....

;)

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Its OK. We all have our quirks. I guess I should have said above that once you gauge how much pressure it take to get to the elusive 250 pounds then you can pull the cheater bar to that point each time. I know that my tire will lift off the ground with my wife sitting on my Ducati at 200 pounds. And I am sure the slingshot will be close to lifting when you hit that mark. I have a 1/4", 3/8", and a 1/2" torque wrench. I never bought a 3/4" torque wrench. I'm not even sure if the 1/2" will go that high. Ill look.

One thing I will say. And this sounds counter intuitive. Apply anti seize conpund on the thread and a dab on the mating surface of the nut. It will make the torque correct. If you just tighten the nut without any it will not want to turn once it starts getting snug. And this will throw off you torque.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts