Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I purchased our 19 SLR a couple of weeks ago.
Since then, the battery has gone dead 3 times.
The first time, I found the positive cable at the battery very loose. I tightened it, put the charger on the battery till it was full and all was good.
Then a day or two later, I went to start the SS and nothing! I checked the positive cable at thr battery and it was loose again.
I went to the dealer and they installed a new battery bolt.
Several days later, the SS wouldn’t turn over again. I checked the positive cable and it was loose...again. I tightened it, fully charged the battery and will take it for a ride on Saturday and see if it loosens up again,
Since I’m new to Slingshots, is this a known issue?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I haven't heard of that, but my negative was loose when I got mine home, but haven't had issues with it since I tightened it.

Since you just bought it, have the dealer fix it.

Maybe ask them to put a bit of locktite on it.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Once tightened, I don't remember hearing about any cables coming loose again. If it happens again, I'd complain to the dealer and if it keeps happening, I'd recommend opening a compliant with Polaris corporate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I'll find out on Saturday when we go for another ride. Just for laughs, is there a better replacement battery that fits the compartment? The OEM battery seems kind of small...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well, the newer OEM battery is an AGM and many have had good luck with it. Some people who add a lot of new electrical items (big subs/amps, lots of lights) will add a bigger alternator and then a bigger battery.

Many people are fans of the optima yellow top group 34 and add that, and with the newer slings, you need an adapter to put in a bigger battery. All of the big vendors sell them, steel shelf and strap down.

If you have a rear-exit exhaust, you have to make sure the battery doesn't get too close to the exhaust pipe, melt, cause flames, etc. It's happened to a few people.

The older models had a Group 26 battery, but those are hard to find in AGM, I've looked for a good one and haven't found it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the battery is too low to start the bike again. My wife took the SS out for a ride this afternoon and it started fine. She drove it about an hour.
When i got home, the voltage read 9.4 and the bike wouldn’t turn over again.
Puttingthe charger on it again and tomorrow it’s going to the dealer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far, I’m impressed with my local dealer! I’ll see if the problem is corrected before I give two thumbs up though. Will know by Wednesday next week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife and I purchased our 19 SLR a couple of weeks ago.
Since then, the battery has gone dead 3 times.
The first time, I found the positive cable at the battery very loose. I tightened it, put the charger on the battery till it was full and all was good.
Then a day or two later, I went to start the SS and nothing! I checked the positive cable at thr battery and it was loose again.
I went to the dealer and they installed a new battery bolt.
Several days later, the SS wouldn’t turn over again. I checked the positive cable and it was loose...again. I tightened it, fully charged the battery and will take it for a ride on Saturday and see if it loosens up again,
Since I’m new to Slingshots, is this a known issue?
I have a 17 SLR. Batteries seem to be an issue on all SS's, especially is you add lighting or accessories. To break it down, you have a motorcycle battery starting a car engine. Not a good combo! They did that to save weight. Polaris has to keep the weight under a certain number to keep the Motorcycle classification and they are pushing the limit.. That being said, Put a car battery in it. Sling Mods has a kit for the conversion. I will tell you, its a tight fit but if you go into you drivers side storage and cut a 3x6 hole you will be looking straight down on the battery terminals. This can be easily covered with a piece of hardware store Plexiglass and velcro.. Works like a charm and the SS will start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts