Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided that towing the Slingshot is just too much hassle. I am leaving in a couple weeks from Tulsa to Glacier Park via Rapid City and then on to Choteau. I was going to tow to Rapid City SD but the trailer situation is not going to happen. How far do most of you get on a long distance tour?

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
83 Posts
My wife and I did about 3000 mile loop. The drive wasn't bad but the China Flu made it kind of suck. We were alright in the south but the north east sucked.
Hotel stays were NOT pleasant. Paid full price but no pool, spa, breakfast, etc. We even had to wait in line for coffee at the Hampton.
We like to find a nice hotel and go out to a nice restaurant at the end of a leg. All that sucked. We found ourselves sitting on a curb next to Arby's after ordering at the drive-thru. That was our fine dining.
We did better in the south but still it just isn't much fun.
As far as the drive, we prefer the "blue highways" with lots of twisites. We avoid interstate except when there is little choice. I just came from a Harley Triglide and can assure you that I can put a lot more in the saddle in the SS than I could ever on the Harley. We did a lot of 8 hours rolling without much strain. Six hours on the Harley and my butt was shot.
A shade roof makes a big difference too. Highly recommend something over the head.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have decided that towing the Slingshot is just too much hassle. I am leaving in a couple weeks from Tulsa to Glacier Park via Rapid City and then on to Choteau. I was going to tow to Rapid City SD but the trailer situation is not going to happen. How far do most of you get on a long distance tour?
You are aware that much of Glacier Park is not open due the the pandemic, are you not? You cannot access any of the park from the east side because the Blackfeet have closed all entrances. The only way into the park is by being funnelled in through West Glacier, (that has got to be a congested mess?), and even when you get into the park you will find most of the attractions closed. I practically grew up in Glacier Park, I certainly would not be making Glacier Park a destination at this time.

As an alternative, have you looked into the Beartooth Highway in SE Montana/Wyoming and possibly Yellowstone Park? Beartooth pass would be a phenomenal ride with the SlingShot!

Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really didn't plan to access Glacier Park except maybe Going to the Sun Road. I have been through Glacier 2 times, up to Waterton Lakes and Pincher Creek Alberta (big Charlie Russell fan). I also have flown into Billings, rented a Slingshot and drove all over Yellowstone, staying in Red Lodge and riding out each day. Came in over Beartooth. Got the shirt lol!!
I've always been fascinated by grizzly bears. I thought about driving around the praire front of Choteau every day exploring.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I've always been fascinated by grizzly bears. I thought about driving around the praire front of Choteau every day exploring.
What do you think?
Your chances of happening across a bear out in the open on the Rocky Mountain Front, from a commonly traveled highway or road appropriate for the SlingShot, during daylight hours, would be nil to none. You will find only a handful of folks who actually live in the area that have had this fortune. You would have a much better chance checking out the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone.
Bill

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,836 Posts
I have done 2 trips of over 1500 miles. It's not too bad. Have rain gear. Have a helmet. Be ready for heat. Hydrate well and take some extra time gasing up since everyone will have questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your chances of happening across a bear out in the open on the Rocky Mountain Front, from a commonly traveled highway or road appropriate for the SlingShot, during daylight hours, would be nil to none. You will find only a handful of folks who actually live in the area that have had this fortune. You would have a much better chance checking out the Lamar Valley in Yellowstone.
Bill
I would expect that to be the case. I have hunted both grizzly and black in Alaska, and have seen many grizzlies in the wild over the years. I am 61. I watched a silver-tip sow grizzly and two older cubs, from a well traveled Hwy 17 near La Manga Pass in Colorado in 1997, moving along a meadow and finally into the treeline. I watched them for almost 15 minutes, with very good binoculars. Not a black bear in any way, shape, or form. I reported the sighting to both the CDW and two rangers eating in a cafe in Chama NM and received almost zero interest. Grizzlies are supposed to be extinct in both NM and Colorado. As of 97, there were definitely 3 in Colorado.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Cack when I still rode two wheels, during a visit to Gatlinburg, TN, I decided to ride the Tail of the Dragon at night. While riding the Foothills Pkwy and almost to the beginning of the Dragon, I was going down a hill when a baby black bear rolled down the hillside and landed in the ditch as I passed. All I could think of was I was glad it wasn't in the roadway and glad that I hadn't hit, because I'm sure Momma was nearby and wouldn't have been too happy. That's as close as I've come to any type of bear and I hope I never get any closer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts