Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pm'd our local NASA autocross division. Asking if there was a class or if we were able
to run at autox's. Their response was:

sorry in the intro tape at he .09 sec point they have a disclaimer stating
that it is a motorcycle and not up to auto safety standards.
Therefore it would not be eligible for an autoX event.

I mean they run racing go karts at these events.
They are obviously not up to car safety standards.
So you would think the slingshot would be ok. I'll try to go a little
higher then them to try and get it approved.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I talked to them some more this morning trying to get them to realize that the
slingshot is more of a car with one rear wheel then a motorcycle. They understand
what I'm getting at and he was going to try and talk to higher up people in NASA
to see what they thought. I'll keep trying, there is no reason for this not to be able
to compete.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disagree with you evomind. You are seatbelted in and sitting like a car.
It's like running a Caterham with just
One back wheel. Everything else is the
Same safety wise. And that's what they
Are concerned about. But they allow
Go karts and Caterham's to run which are
Also missing the same safety features. Now if it were a can am spider. You sit on it. I would totally agree. Actually wouldn't have asked. I just know I wasn't the only one looking to autocross with it. Yes legally it considered a motorcycle. But she will drive and act like a car. Minus car safety standards in which they allow vehicles that don't have them to run. Even if it's in its own class. I'm fine with that. As going to events like that and the track is the only way I will safely find the limits of the slingshot.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Are there any other 3 wheeled vehicles in autocross? That is probably going to determine their decision.

Stephen

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Well let's face it. Someone has to be first. Keep pushing the issue. You may just open the door for a lot of other happy racers. I'm trying to get my SS involved in auto here in Richmond, Va.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I think it's going to take us showing up to these events in our Slingshots to change the rule or get approval. I am friends with the head of the NASA in this area and I will work with him to see if anything can be done.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well let's face it. Someone has to be first. Keep pushing the issue. You may just open the door for a lot of other happy racers. I'm trying to get my SS involved in auto here in Richmond, Va.
Ok great. At least I'm not the only one. I think the slingshot will be
A hoot on an autox course.
I will keep updated on what headway I'm making.

I think it's going to take us showing up to these events in our Slingshots to change the rule or get approval. I am friends with the head of the NASA in this area and I will work with him to see if anything can be done.
Great, thanks 4Nines!
I think it possible they will let us. But as I understand they just
Want to cover the behinds for just in case. Once they understand
More about it. I think we'll be ok. Though it might be in its own class
Which I understand too. They won't know how to classify it.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Yeah I don't really care what class they put it in I just want to get out on the track and drive. It's new a new thing and might take some work/pestering, but I'm sure we can figure something out. Especially since there will probably be a lot more people interested in racing once they get a Slingshot.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I disagree with you evomind. You are seatbelted in and sitting like a car.
It's like running a Caterham with just
One back wheel. Everything else is the
Same safety wise. And that's what they
Are concerned about. But they allow
Go karts and Caterham's to run which are
Also missing the same safety features. Now if it were a can am spider. You sit on it. I would totally agree. Actually wouldn't have asked. I just know I wasn't the only one looking to autocross with it. Yes legally it considered a motorcycle. But she will drive and act like a car. Minus car safety standards in which they allow vehicles that don't have them to run. Even if it's in its own class. I'm fine with that. As going to events like that and the track is the only way I will safely find the limits of the slingshot.

You can disagree with me, but as you have discovered, Im only a messenger. I didnt make the rules, I just told you what they are and probably always will say......"No."
I agree with about everything you say, its "almost" a car but it isnt. Get the D.O.T. to change their classification from motorcycle to car and they might let you autox it.
But see, even if by some chance they allow it, they will probably only class it against other slingshots and T-rexs. How many do you think will show up for a track day?

Hey, Im on youre side, if you wanna autox it for crap and giggles why not? Those folks who run the classes of autox are a bit slow to change though.
Let us know what happens and good luck

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It's sad if racing enthusiast groups like NASA can't separate government legal definitions from what makes sense in their own organizations. They let vintage cars that lack any of today's car safety features run, so why ban SS over government definitions? I was hoping to run at least HPDE-1 track events.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Or.... start a club and bypass the NASA altogether. My Jeep club isn't affiliated with any national club, other than "Tread Lightly" and we secured an old strip mine (with the owner's permission) and insurance for us to wheel there since there are no public wheeling areas in Iowa.

And the Jeepers lived happily ever after. The End.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Get some folks together, and buy some land and make your own track and your own rules. Let me know when your ready, and I'll throw a little $$ your way to help it happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure - I live in Hawaii and just saw the video online, but I contacted Speed Ventures to inquire when our local SCCA club said no blaming it on insurance requirements. Speed Ventures had reviewed the safety specs and had no problem allowing select three wheeled vehicles. Hopefully we can organize an event out here that will allow slingshots - even it is just for fun as a totally separate class.

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Not sure - I live in Hawaii and just saw the video online, but I contacted Speed Ventures to inquire when our local SCCA club said no blaming it on insurance requirements. Speed Ventures had reviewed the safety specs and had no problem allowing select three wheeled vehicles. Hopefully we can organize an event out here that will allow slingshots - even it is just for fun as a totally separate class.
What on earth is that other three wheeled vehicle? Rear tire is so skinny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts